Interim upgrade from 4790k to 3600

Soldato
I'm looking to start upgrading my system for Zen3 and wondering if it's worth going for a 3600 as an interim CPU until the ZEN3 is release. My 4790k has been running beautifully for 5 years at 4.7ghz but the initial zen3 is getting me all excited.

My plan is:
  • B550 Tomahawk
  • 16gb DDR4 3200
Benchmarks are looking very very good and even a switch to the 3600 would suggest I'd see improvements so I don't think it's a silly move, personally.

4790k vs 3600

Would you do the same?
Has anyone done this already?

Soldato
Would you do the same?
Has anyone done this already?
That's a tough one - with Zen 3 literally on the horizon and already owning a very capable CPU for gaming.

I'm guessing the uncertainty of the 'physical' release date, after paper launch has you concerned - and perhaps stock levels on release? I've read as early as mid/late October and as late as end of November for physical launch - but that stock coupled with demand wont be an issue (but all speculation - and we've all been here before).

But, for me, i keep coming back to your 4790K - even now i look at it and see a mighty CPU. And, yes, you will see extra FPS but more noticeably you will feel the difference/smoothness when gaming with a 3600 - that is greater than the FPS improvement indicates. That said, i'm not sure it's worth the financial hit for a couple of months use - at least not for me.

Six months ago i moved 2 systems from a 2600K and a 4790K - to a 3600 and 4700X respectively - didn't change GPU (1660Ti and 1070) in either as waiting for 30 series/Big Navi - and gaming FPS gains were reasonable (depending on game) but the main difference was smoothness within gameplay and the system speed as a whole. Totally worth it for my 6/8 months use - but for 2 months, with hindsight, i would have waited if it meant a zen 3 with ~15% IPC improvement - especially with the 4790K system. (Note - i have 1440p monitors - so not an apples to apples comparison if you have 1080p)

But, I appreciate your impatience given vagueness of 'physical' release date - and possible uncertainty the 3080 may have caused with nuts demand and use of bots. Although, not expected with Zen 3 - but again who knows for sure.

*And you can get Crucial Ballistix 3600MHz micron Rev E ~£65 - great timings.

Soldato
OP
That's a tough one - with Zen 3 literally on the horizon and already owning a very capable CPU for gaming.

I'm guessing the uncertainty of the 'physical' release date, after paper launch has you concerned - and perhaps stock levels on release? I've read as early as mid/late October and as late as end of November for physical launch - but that stock coupled with demand wont be an issue (but all speculation - and we've all been here before).

But, for me, i keep coming back to your 4790K - even now i look at it and see a mighty CPU. And, yes, you will see extra FPS but more noticeably you will feel the difference/smoothness when gaming with a 3600 - that is greater than the FPS improvement indicates. That said, i'm not sure it's worth the financial hit for a couple of months use - at least not for me.

Six months ago i moved 2 systems from a 2600K and a 4790K - to a 3600 and 4700X respectively - didn't change GPU (1660Ti and 1070) in either as waiting for 30 series/Big Navi - and gaming FPS gains were reasonable (depending on game) but the main difference was smoothness within gameplay and the system speed as a whole. Totally worth it for my 6/8 months use - but for 2 months, with hindsight, i would have waited if it meant a zen 3 with ~15% IPC improvement - especially with the 4790K system. (Note - i have 1440p monitors - so not an apples to apples comparison if you have 1080p)

But, I appreciate your impatience given vagueness of 'physical' release date - and possible uncertainty the 3080 may have caused with nuts demand and use of bots. Although, not expected with Zen 3 - but again who knows for sure.

*And you can get Crucial Ballistix 3600MHz micron Rev E ~£65 - great timings.

Thanks for the reply and you are talking absolute sense. However, I'd be getting the board/ram anyway for zen3 anyway and for the sake of £180 on a 3600, I might loose £20 or so in resale, I don't think it's a bad move/unjustified.
I'd still be keeping the 4790k as I'm going to build the ITX in my Evolv X but it's more about having the underlying infrastructure in place and ready to go so it's just a hot swap when I finally get my hands on a 4000 cpu.

Soldato
I might loose £20 or so in resale
When viewed from that angle - and very possible when looking at bay prices of other components - you may have justified your own dilemma.

I waste god knows how much a month on needless subscriptions that i don't even watch (Crunchyroll - i noticed we had the other day, still(?)) - so £10/month for CPU rental with daily usage seems reasonable.

Soldato
OP
When viewed from that angle - and very possible when looking at bay prices of other components - you may have justified your own dilemma.

I waste god knows how much a month on needless subscriptions that i don't even watch (Crunchyroll - i noticed we had the other day, still(?)) - so £10/month for CPU rental with daily usage seems reasonable.

Only just managed to get back on here. Seems the servers are dropping bricks again.

I've found a few 3600s knocking around the 130 mark but I'd have to travel and I know what people think about buying from the social media site.

Yeah, a small dilemma but something that could work in my favour...maybe.

Soldato
I know what people think about buying from the social media site.
It's not a media i deal with (don't even have an account) - but have read member's accounts of having sold components for more than 'informed members' would pay - and vice versa - managed to source items for bargain prices.

I've found a few 3600s knocking around the 130 mark but I'd have to travel
If the petrol justifies the cost then ~£130/~£140 for a 3600 seems like a no brainer. You would literally be using the chip rent free until you got your hands on a Zen 3, as i imagine you could sell it on for similar price if you put it up for sale on launch day.

Best of luck.

Associate
2nd hand would be a brilliant deal, assuming you could actually see the 3600 working before purchasing. I'd say you'd maybe even make a profit on it.

3400G could be a short term option if you wanted to sell your existing GPU (or whole PC) and wait for whatever nvidia and amd do next.

Associate
I know it's not quite the same, but I went from an i7-6700k to a Ryzen 7 3700x and had a noticeable improvement of performance.

I'd imagine you will get a bigger difference compared to mine given you're on an i7 from 2 generations before

Back
Top Bottom