Interlinked alarms

Soldato
What do people recommend for interlinked smoke and heat alarms?

Wee Kelpie has decreed that we Jocks must not only have a certain number of alarms but those alarms must be interlinked. I have history with the Fire Brigades so I'm glad to see the insistence on having these alarms, but while I'm sure that having them interlinked make sense for the MSP's grand mansions, it really doesn't make sense in a small (~ 700 square feet including interior walls) flat like mine.

I'd prefer wireless and battery operated for ease of installation.

Q: How many alarms are required to meet the standards?
A: The standard requires:
one smoke alarm installed in the room most frequently used for general daytime living purposes
one smoke alarm in every circulation space on each storey, such as hallways and landings
one heat alarm installed in every kitchen
All alarms should be ceiling mounted and interlinked.
Where there is a carbon-fuelled appliance (such as boilers, fires (including open fires) and heaters) or a flue, a carbon monoxide detector is also required which does not need to be linked to the fire alarms.

Soldato
What do people recommend for interlinked smoke and heat alarms?

Wee Kelpie has decreed that we Jocks must not only have a certain number of alarms but those alarms must be interlinked. I have history with the Fire Brigades so I'm glad to see the insistence on having these alarms, but while I'm sure that having them interlinked make sense for the MSP's grand mansions, it really doesn't make sense in a small (~ 700 square feet including interior walls) flat like mine.

I'd prefer wireless and battery operated for ease of installation.

One wired into the mains the rest can be wireless.

JRJ

JRJ

Associate
So that would be the 600 series, right? Excellent. Looks like I need 2x Ei605CRF for the living room and hall and 1x Ei603RF for the kitchen.

Yes looks right, had to double check as mines the mains powered 3000 series.

Associate
Pressed enter too quickly and can't seem to edit the above post!

For ease go for the AICO 600 series

EI650RF Optical Smoke
EI603RF Heat Alarm for kitchen

This is what I install where there isn't easy access to run in new cables without lifting floors etc.

All AICO alarms have a 10 year lifespan wether they have the tamper proof lithium battery or hard wired

Soldato
Aico's are the best in class. You get battery Heat/Optical/Hush/Co as well as a Hardwired version of everything. They are the best in market and I personally wouldn't fit anything else.

Associate
This is timely information for me. I was recently looking at interlinked alarms for my own house (in England).

I came to the conclusion that the replaceable battery model would be better as AICO only stand behind their 10 year models with a 5 year warranty. This would now appear unwise if England adopts similar regulations.

Does anyone know if the wired radiolinked alarms can be placed next to existing light fittings and connected to the lighting ring for power? I had discounted wired alarms as I don't want my house torn apart to install new cabling.

Associate
This is timely information for me. I was recently looking at interlinked alarms for my own house (in England).

I came to the conclusion that the replaceable battery model would be better as AICO only stand behind their 10 year models with a 5 year warranty. This would now appear unwise if England adopts similar regulations.

Does anyone know if the wired radiolinked alarms can be placed next to existing light fittings and connected to the lighting ring for power? I had discounted wired alarms as I don't want my house torn apart to install new cabling.

Yes, you can supply alarms from lighting circuits. I actually prefer this way because if your mcb or rcbo trips then you would know that your alarms also aren't powered if the lights don't work.

New builds, rewires tend to have a dedicated mcb/rcbo for the alarm circuit. Depending on the manufacturer you would only know this circuit has tripped when the internal battery starts to go flat and you hear the beeps.

Associate
Also keeping in mind AICOs siting instructions
Siting-Standard-Space-600x306.jpg

Associate
Thanks for the info.

I noticed some of the AICO wired alarms have 9V alkaline or rechargeable lithium backup batteries. The product pages mention 10 year lives for these. Are there regulations on the lifetime of these units like there are for the batteries in emergency lighting?

Soldato
Thanks for the info.

I noticed some of the AICO wired alarms have 9V alkaline or rechargeable lithium backup batteries. The product pages mention 10 year lives for these. Are there regulations on the lifetime of these units like there are for the batteries in emergency lighting?

I have fitted literally thousands of Aico Alarms over the years. Currently replacing ones that were fitted in 09/10/11 for the new range. The 10 year battery is offered due to them being rechargeable. Not every detector ever manufactured makes it to ten years, it's an educated guess really. But for the relatively small amount of money they cost you're not going to be out of pocket if the battery gives up the ghost in 7 years time.

Back
Top Bottom