Intermittent screen shut off

Associate
Hi All,

As the the title says, the screen goes to black but the PC stays on. Turn the PC off for a while and the screen is back.

Graphics problem or heating?

TIA

Soldato
That doesn't yet tell if problem is in monitor or PC.
Do you have other monitor to connect into PC or other source device (like laptop) to connect into monitor?

Also using integrated GPU of Intel instead of separate graphics card would be one thing to try for bracketing cause.

Associate
OP
Unfortunately no other monitor. If it was monitor though i wouldn't see the 'No Signal' message which i do see when it happens.

Graphics card is AMD Radeon HD 7700 Series. Old, so my thoughts are graphics related.

Soldato
I guess that error is quite solid indicator that problem source is outside monitor and in PC.
Besides checking and cleaning graphics card's cooler trying other graphics card would be first thing to do.
Though might first check that connectors of all cables and DIMMs and GPU are firmly in their sockets.
Warming up could cause some intermittent problem with loose connections.

And did you turn off also monitor?
If leaving monitor powered while letting PC cool doesn't cause issue when powering PC, that's pretty good confirmation problem isn't in something heating up in monitor.

Back
Top Bottom