Internet Cuts Off Periodically- CISCO 2950 Switch

Associate
Hey guys

Im at university currently, and have a little cisco home lab setup consisting of a 2950switch, 2610 router (used as frame relay) and a 2610xm router.

I thought i'd try and connect the switch to university's LAN/Internet (after checking their acceptable use policy first) So be me connecting my switch It goes Switch(my student room)>Switch(Top of my building-owned by uni)>Router (Not owned by me)>router/ Gateway/firewall > Internet

Everything works fine with the switch being allocated the correct IP ect and hosts can get onto the university's LAN and internet.

However on every host connected to the switch I get very frequent timeouts from the internet between 3000ms-4000ms long.

I tried turning Port sensing on the switch telling the 2950 that fasteth 0/10 was connected to another switch- and was received the err-disabled message because of Bridge Protocol Data Unit (BPDU) guard.

Obviously i understand why the uni has done this and I don't want the switch to trunk anyway- I just wonder if there is anyway of stopping the frequent timeouts (I thought it may have been because of AutoSensing half/full duplex issues and the fact its a straight through ethernet cable that feeds my room- so i tried setting the ports to manual 100base-tx with full duplex to no avail. )

Any input would be excellent!

Thanks very much

Back
Top Bottom