1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Interviews and shaved hair/head

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by k3wt, 9 Mar 2010.

1. k3wt

Hitman

For you managerial types out there :) If a young chap came smartly dressed to an interview but had a closely shaven head - say grade 1 or 2 would this seem unprofessional? ...Assuming he carries himself through the interview well.

Of course u cant discriminate, equal opportunites and all that but honestly would it deem less professional over someone without a shaved head?

Random but would like to hear your thoughts :p

2. SilverTongue

Wise Guy

As long as it was tidy I would have an issue with itI'd have more of an issue of a chap with houlder length hair than a closely shaven head

3. wozencl

Hitman

Wear a ladies wig, you'll definitely fit some criteria then.

4. muon

Capodecina

Would be unfair, since a lot of people with shaved heads have it because of hair loss. Would be interesting to see what people think.

5. k3wt

Hitman

think its different having shaved hair due to hair loss tho...

6. xGBHxPegasus

Mobster

Shouldnt matter I wouldnt think, as long as they, as you said hold themselves well within the interview.

7. Redmint

Mobster

People have less trust towards people with bald heads, beards or close eyes. :p Interview wise it shouldn't make too much difference going in with an army style hair cut.

8. Siliconslave

Man of Honour

depends on the job really - customer facing roles in certain markets might frown on it but that would depend more on how you look with a shaved head rather than if its shaved or not.

If it makes you look like a thug then its not going to do you any favours I would say - however if they pass you over purely on that basis then they aren't worth working for.

edit: Pics and we can tell it to you straight :)

Last edited: 9 Mar 2010
  9. muon

Capodecina

Can't always tell depending on how early you shave your head.

10. Cosimo

Man of Honour

If he looked like a thug and was meeting important clients then I might have some second thoughts. :p

11. molemole0

Gangster

If it looks tidy/respectable i'd say it would be fine

12. Fubsy

Sgarrista

I got sent home from school once for shaving my hair off...

13. Squink

Mobster

I'm not sure it's how short the hair is, as how much of a thug the person looks in general. Having closely-shaven hair can make a rough-looking type look even rougher. If, on the other hand, the person is of a mild demeanour and appearance, a shaven heed won't change that.

Also I think it's pretty widely accepted these days that people going bald will often shave their hair close, rather than trying to hide it with a ridiculous combover.

14. Jokester

Don

I've had a number 1 for years, never stopped me. As pointed out, a lot of men have shaved heads just because of hair loss so it's no biggy at all.

It's stuff like facial tattoos/pearcings that turn a lot of employers off!

15. Mr^B

Mobster

I've had a no.1 for a few years now, also wear DMs to work, never had any issues - probably because I wear glasses and look like a geek mind you...

16. Dave M

Soldato

So long as you can carry the look it's fine, I'd think shaved was more professional than a number one though.

17. Biohazard

PermaBanned

Why?

This.

18. Tefal

Capo Crimine

Depends if you look like a guy with a shaven/very short hair cut or a skin head tbh :p

Same hair do but easy to tell apart :D

19. Bouton Aide

Caporegime

No-one should judge in an interview because of a shaved head. You may look like a thug though and the company might not want that sort of image.

20. Skidder

Man of Honour

if yobby in general then it would add to that impression if otherwise pleasant, fine

any tatts on head then no