Ipad Pro 2017 Randomly Turns Off

Associate
Hi there

In the last few days my Ipad Pro from 2017 is just turning off randomly. I have to hold down the home/power button to get it to reboot. My battery capacity is down from 100% to 74%. Could this be the issue?

Soldato
Check the analytic logs for “PANIC” logs.
These would indicate (usually) a hardware fault.

As for battery - it could be, iPad batteries do rarely fail.

Soldato
Hi there

In the last few days my Ipad Pro from 2017 is just turning off randomly. I have to hold down the home/power button to get it to reboot. My battery capacity is down from 100% to 74%. Could this be the issue?

Could be, the iPad turns off (or restarts) if it can't support the current required. Apple replaces the iPad entirely and gives you a refurbished one if you take it for a battery service (about £100 if out of warranty).

Associate
OP
I took to the apple store and they did all the checks and no faults are reported. The battery was at 82%. It actually turned off right in front of them and they basically said tough luck. Not great for a £720 purchase for 30 months of use. It rarely turns on now, when it does it might stay on for seconds or hours. But is basically unusable now.

Soldato
If there’s nothing wrong with it in apples fault checking then simply arrange for a mail-in battery repair for £100. You’ll get a refurbished iPad back so even if it wasn’t actually the battery causing the problem you still get a totally different iPad back again.

KIA

KIA

Man of Honour

Does it exhibit the same behaviour while it's connected to a power source?

Associate
OP
That is a good question and any answer I have will be subjective jimbean. I have an iPad Air 2 from 2014 going strong so that is 6 years old. This is the first real hardware failure I have ever had with any electric devices that I have basically been told to bin it, PC builds included for the last 20 years. So I guess I can’t complain. Spending £720 for 30 months is not what I call value for money. Five years would be nice as after that time hardware improves, older devices become slower and IOS support would probably end for older devices. Probably depends on if you need each new iteration of a device for your needs and you have that in mind year to year. When I buy electronics I expect/hope they last till I upgrade/replace them.

Same behaviour while plugged in KIA. It worked perfect for 30 months then within 2 weeks went from turning off 1 time a day to not turning on at all, mostly.

I did replace it with the new IPad Pro 2020, what a fool I am. Still prefer the older model with Touch ID and slimmer design.

Associate
OP
If there’s nothing wrong with it in apples fault checking then simply arrange for a mail-in battery repair for £100. You’ll get a refurbished iPad back so even if it wasn’t actually the battery causing the problem you still get a totally different iPad back again.

I am not sure what you mean. Send it to Apple for a new battery that I pay £100 for and if it doesn’t turn on or work they will replace it?

Soldato
That is a good question and any answer I have will be subjective jimbean. I have an iPad Air 2 from 2014 going strong so that is 6 years old. This is the first real hardware failure I have ever had with any electric devices that I have basically been told to bin it, PC builds included for the last 20 years. So I guess I can’t complain. Spending £720 for 30 months is not what I call value for money. Five years would be nice as after that time hardware improves, older devices become slower and IOS support would probably end for older devices. Probably depends on if you need each new iteration of a device for your needs and you have that in mind year to year. When I buy electronics I expect/hope they last till I upgrade/replace them.

Same behaviour while plugged in KIA. It worked perfect for 30 months then within 2 weeks went from turning off 1 time a day to not turning on at all, mostly.

I did replace it with the new IPad Pro 2020, what a fool I am. Still prefer the older model with Touch ID and slimmer design.
Agreed it is why I asked the question, for me 4 years should be expected with 5 years for me being it owes me nothing. Intrigued with what people’s expectations are as people inevitably have different ones.

Associate
OP
Yep. Reset and all that jazz. I might just send it in for battery repair and take my chances. I have upgraded now but was planning on giving the old one to my duaghter.

Back
Top Bottom