• iPhone 12

Votes: 39 13.4%
  • iPhone 12 Pro

Votes: 93 31.8%
  • iPhone 12 Pro Max

Votes: 109 37.3%

• Total voters
Soldato
lol, it’s hardly help though is it-let’s be honest. And you are Pro Apple-not sure why you’d take offence to it.

Person makes a valid point about potentially having to spend a large amount of money on top of an obscene amount of money on a phone to get an AOD display when it could be easily implemented by Apple and your only reply was to buy an Apple Watch.

Surely you can understand why someone would be curious as to why that’s the only option?
Absolutely no point asking questions like that in this forum; no one here knows the answer.

Soldato
no one here knows the answer.

The answer to why there is no AOD - an extremely handy and useful feature - is because Apple has chosen not to implement one. The only technical reason why they wouldn't do it is because they won't accept the battery drain, and because it's Apple, they don't trust the end user with the choice of turning an AOD off or on depending on requirements.

Soldato
The answer to why there is no AOD - an extremely handy and useful feature - is because Apple has chosen not to implement one. The only technical reason why they wouldn't do it is because they won't accept the battery drain, and because it's Apple, they don't trust the end user with the choice of turning an AOD off or on depending on requirements.
We know they haven’t implemented one...

We just don’t know their reasons why. No one here is privy to that.

Soldato
Still keeping my iPad Pro however for the time being as it’s a great device.
That's the thing... I too have an iPad pro and genuinely feel it's an amazing bit of kit. Use it every day and am really happy with it.

But every time I feel like making the jump to an iPhone there seems to be a number of shortcomings that just don't make it feel worthwhile the considerable outlay it demands.

Associate
That's the thing... I too have an iPad pro and genuinely feel it's an amazing bit of kit. Use it every day and am really happy with it.

But every time I feel like making the jump to an iPhone there seems to be a number of shortcomings that just don't make it feel worthwhile the considerable outlay it demands.

I can say the current shortcomings of Apple/iOS aren’t worth it for me personally hence why I’m making the move over tomorrow.

I get the best of both worlds this way as well.

Soldato
I personally don't see a point in having AOD. My phone lights when I get a notification, which means I can see how many and what for. Lifting the phone to check/tapping the screen does this too, so I haven't even got to press any buttons. A notification LED is annoying and on OLED display, the AOD can cause burn-in.

I've owned a number of iPhones and Android phones, but I've never been happier than with my current iPhone/MacBook combination.

Man of Honour
The idea of AOD sounds horrible to me... I’d rather my phone is constantly in a state of STFU until I decide I want to manually check it. You see loads of people with their phone going bezerk the whole time... no thanks! Not even a small dot saying you have a message!

That said, I don’t see any reason why it couldn’t be a feature for those that want it - I did lol at the idea of an Apple Watch being a solution. Very economic :D

Deleted member 209350

D

Deleted member 209350

120hz possibly back on the horizon i here....

1 thing is for sure from now though, never gonna pay attention to these so called “leakers” ever again. They just flip flop around all year throwing out any information they can for views and the final thing is never what they say

Soldato
They just flip flop around all year throwing out any information they can for views and the final thing is never what they say

While I'm sure there's some truth in this, I think Apple's final decision on 120hz is coming down to the wire, so it may well be that the leakers are providing information which is accurate at the time they leak it, or is perhaps genuinely thought to be accurate by their source.

Deleted member 209350

D

Deleted member 209350

While I'm sure there's some truth in this, I think Apple's final decision on 120hz is coming down to the wire, so it may well be that the leakers are providing information which is accurate at the time they leak it, or is perhaps genuinely thought to be accurate by their source.

Im not saying everything they say is false, but if you go back a few months there were certain leakers saying how the notch is definitely getting smaller, 120hz was definitely coming etc etc... and the reality is that they had no idea.

Soldato
tbh, given the size of Apple and how much people want to know, you could post anything semi-likely and get click through traffic and advertising revenue from that, not that I'm suggesting people out there talk BS just to get the ad revenue ;)

Permabanned
What about this new feature?

EXCLUSIVE: Future iPhone to Feature Unlimited Detail Camera for Pin-Sharp Digital Zoom at Any Setting
https://wccftech.com/exclusive-futu...ra-for-pin-sharp-digital-zoom-at-any-setting/

Similar in concept to unlimited broadband internet access, where you can just keep downloading more and more without limit, this groundbreaking camera allows for unlimited detail for the very highest quality pictures. Thus, this camera doesn't have a specific megapixel, or even gigapixel specification, because it's unlimited. This means, that there's always more resolution available, on demand. The huge benefit of such a camera is a pin-sharp picture that doesn't blur or pixelate as you zoom in digitally to any magnification setting. This is an industry first, completely unmatched by any competitor.

Apple's Research and Development department isn't saying much about the underlying technology yet, but I've managed to find out that it uses tiny "quantum dot qubits" along with special materials which make it possible to effectively "divide by zero" in hardware and by using a variable scaling factor, get a meaningful answer, thus leading to unlimited resolution on demand.

Normally, dividing by zero would result in infinity - or to be more mathematically accurate, is undefined - and thus break the product, but by using these new developments in quantum computing (I'll share more details as I get them) it gets around this issue in the real world, producing a finite result at any zoom setting and hence perfectly pin sharp digital zoom at any magnification.

I've seen an internal demo of pictures produced by a prototype camera and they're mindblowing! Apple has also developed special picture navigation software to cope with extreme zoom levels.

The prototype iPhone is fitted with very large amounts of system RAM, GPU frame buffer and storage for better performance (Apple refused to give numbers) but they are working to bring this down to reasonable levels for the finished product. Development has some way to go yet, with the final product likely having a 4K screen and be around 5.0 - 6.5 inches in size. There is a possible 8K option, depending on the screen tech available at the time.

Soldato
Coming from an 11 Pro Max I think for me to upgrade it will need Pro Motion. Seems the notch is about the same size which would have been another main reason to change.

Permabanned

I think there is no technical obstacle to have unlimited detail cameras, after all FBI and CIA have already been using such software and algorithms to reconstruct/reprocess/fix the quality of the most terrible photo resolutions.

Other articles explain that Apple's R&D actually works on the technology for consumers:

Putting the Mi Note 10, Galaxy S20, and Huawei P30 Pro to shame? Satirical “unlimited detail” iPhone exclusive raises questions about the future of smartphone tech

A satirical news report claimed that Apple’s working on an “unlimited detail” camera based on quantum mechanics. While this is not the case, the report raises questions about the possible role of quantum computing in the future of smartphone tech.

At a time when Xiaomi and Samsung are touting 64MP and 108MP camera sensors as the tech to beat, an industry source familiar with Apple's strategic plans went on record with a bold claim: Cupertino is leveraging advances in quantum computing to create a camera sensor that can pick up unlimited detail.

So goes a satirical WCCFTech report on Apple’s future iPhone camera plans. While we are fairly certain that Tim Apple isn’t working on quantum entanglement smartphone camera, quantum computing as a field does have the potential to revolutionize mobile computing, albeit in the future. And, as strange as it might sound, quantum mechanical effects have already been used to capture images.

While quantum computing is still at a nascent stage, important advances have been made recently: In October, Google claimed to have achieved quantum supremacy: with its quantum computer beating conventional systems in a real-world workload for the first time.

More recently, researchers claimed to have teleported data between two chips instantaneously, relying on quantum entanglement. But what are real-world use cases for quantum computing on mobile? If quantum supremacy is achieved in a range of real-world workloads, we expect quantum computing to first have an impact on mobile through thin-client solutions.

AI is a likely area of development. While current manufacturers (including Apple) are investing a significant amount of SoC die area on NPUs (neural processing units), thin-client solutions that connect mobile devices to advanced, quantum-computing-based AI systems isn’t impossible to conceive of.

While a CSI-like enhance filter would be an interesting differentiator, we expect the real impact of quantum computing on mobile devices-including iPhones-to be gradual and not paradigm-shifting.
https://www.notebookcheck.net/Putti...t-the-future-of-smartphone-tech.453240.0.html

Apple is having to innovate like by no means earlier than to maintain up with high rivals akin to Samsung, these days. Our Apple insider tells us that the newest innovation is the event of an limitless element nonetheless image digital camera, which is able to add a serious sellable function to a future iPhone, giving it a severe benefit over Apple’s fiercest opponents.
https://techadopters.com/future-iph...ra-for-pin-sharp-digital-zoom-at-any-setting/

Associate
I can get an iPhone 11 64gb for £510 new, will the prices be any cheaper once the new iPhone comes out or is this a decent price?

Back
Top Bottom