• iPhone 12

Votes: 39 13.4%
  • iPhone 12 Pro

Votes: 93 31.8%
  • iPhone 12 Pro Max

Votes: 109 37.3%

• Total voters
Soldato
Imagine what the battery life would be now if they reproduced those with chips using a modern process and paired it with a modern battery. You’d be looking at weeks of battery life on 2g.

Soldato
They really should, rather than the crappy "reimagining" that they did with some of the Nokia stuff a while back, and that flip phone (Motorola was it?)

Not everyone wants a "Smart" phone...

Associate
Apparently the 120hz variant didn't make mass production, which started this week.
So seems like Apple weren't satisfied with 120hz implementation.

Alleged chasis.

Soldato
Apparently the 120hz variant didn't make mass production

Strongly rumoured but not yet confirmed. As a point of reference, the £200 POCO X3 has an 120hz screen yet Apple, the largest company in the world, can’t seem to pull off the same feat in a thousand quid device.

Associate
Strongly rumoured but not yet confirmed. As a point of reference, the £200 POCO X3 has an 120hz screen yet Apple, the largest company in the world, can’t seem to pull off the same feat in a thousand quid device.
Meh.

I think Apple ultimately wanted 120hz in conjunction with LTPO, which reportedly wouldn’t be available to them until 2021.

And maybe they weren’t happy with the battery trade off I dunno, but I think that’s a poor comparison regardless.

The issue isn’t putting in a 120hz they can seemingly have them produced in enough quantity but the early rumours were they weren’t passing Apples “tests” which are most definitely a lot stricter than Pocos.

What these tests are I dunno, but either way you’d be a lot less forgiving if Apple did ship 120hz and it wasn’t up to the high standard people expect.

Me personally I’m not fussed I was never interested in the Pro models of this year, I have an 11 Pro currently and If I was to change I would happily go with the 5.4” model based off the rumours.

Last edited:
Soldato
I’m on the fence of jumping ship from android for the first time since having a HTC Hero back in the day. I’m on an S20 Ultra now, and going back to 60hz doesn’t fill me with joy; especially as I have an iPad Pro using a high refresh rate too.

Soldato
Meh.

I think Apple ultimately wanted 120hz in conjunction with LTPO, which reportedly wouldn’t be available to them until 2021.

And maybe they weren’t happy with the battery trade off I dunno, but I think that’s a poor comparison regardless.

The issue isn’t putting in a 120hz they can seemingly have them produced in enough quantity but the early rumours were they weren’t passing Apples “tests” which are most definitely a lot stricter than Pocos.

What these tests are I dunno, but either way you’d be a lot less forgiving if Apple did ship 120hz and it wasn’t up to the high standard people expect.

Me personally I’m not fussed I was never interested in the Pro models of this year, I have an 11 Pro currently and If I was to change I would happily go with the 5.4” model based off the rumours.

Exactly. Samsung had to make people choose between QHD and 120Hz in settings (you get one, but not both). OnePlus just accepted the hit to battery life. 5G is coming this year which cancels out any gains Apple can have in efficiency, Apple isn’t going to accept a battery life hit, they never have. We’ll just have to wait for LTPO next year.

Soldato
Exactly. Samsung had to make people choose between QHD and 120Hz in settings (you get one, but not both). OnePlus just accepted the hit to battery life. 5G is coming this year which cancels out any gains Apple can have in efficiency, Apple isn’t going to accept a battery life hit, they never have. We’ll just have to wait for LTPO next year.

I had a OP 8 Pro and the battery life was great with forced 120hz. Far better than I got from my iPhone XS. I also don’t accept this “Apple won’t accept a battery life hit” idea. I’m typing this on an iPhone 6s with a 100pc battery health that barely scrapes 4 hours SoT. The new SE is hardly a battery champ. It’s only with the 11 Series that Apple finally have a phone that stands above (most) of the opposition. Having class leading battery is new territory for them.

Associate
I had a OP 8 Pro and the battery life was great with forced 120hz. Far better than I got from my iPhone XS. I also don’t accept this “Apple won’t accept a battery life hit” idea. I’m typing this on an iPhone 6s with a 100pc battery health that barely scrapes 4 hours SoT. The new SE is hardly a battery champ. It’s only with the 11 Series that Apple finally have a phone that stands above (most) of the opposition. Having class leading battery is new territory for them.
"Greats" subjective depending on what you're doing on the handset and what you're expecting.
According to previous articles there are 20 tests in total.
So its not just battery life - I was just pointing out an obvious and likely one.

Either way theres 20 tests and evidently iPhones running with a 120hz display didn't pass them all and they scrapped it and instead opted to wait for LTPO next year.

From the sounds of it Apple where testing 120hz right up until the last minute, and ultimately had to decide and here we are I guess.

Can I see why people are dissapointed sure...

Soldato
Can I see why people are dissapointed sure...

I am a little disappointed since I’m ready to buy a new phone. No high refresh just means I’ll buy an Android instead, especially since Apple have delayed their new privacy measures, seemingly after pressure from Facebook.

Back
Top Bottom