iPhone 3GS - Available on Orange soon

Associate
IO have been with oraange for 10 years and i can get the i-phone 3g for 89 quid but i refuse to pay 12 pound a month for the insurance thats crazy i only pay 5 pounds now. I suggested to the guy on the phone that orange are taking the mick with the insurance prices because people want the phone. he replied with but its a expensive handset. Not 12 a month expensive.

Man of Honour
OP
IO have been with oraange for 10 years and i can get the i-phone 3g for 89 quid but i refuse to pay 12 pound a month for the insurance thats crazy i only pay 5 pounds now. I suggested to the guy on the phone that orange are taking the mick with the insurance prices because people want the phone. he replied with but its a expensive handset. Not 12 a month expensive.

Compared to other handsets it is, and you're not allowed to run insurance products that don't clearly cover their costs under FSA rules. Is it fairer to make Iphone users share the expensive additional costs, or should it be spread to non-iphone owners raising their premiums as well?

Soldato
Its only like car insurance higher model you have the more you pay, same for phones why should someone with a £200 handset pay the same as someone with a £500 iphone for example.

Soldato
And how did you manage that Tute? I tried but they wouldnt budge on the insurance :(

They can't budge on the tariffs, but they can budge on the extras. I got a pack of screen protectors too.

I think it helped that I clearly wasn't going to go for it unless the store did something to swing it. I also told them how I was going to have a look at what O2 would offer me etc.

Plus the guy that served me, i've known him as a friend for years - that helped. :p

Did you do the trade in in store?

How much was the iphone?

To get the best deal am I best to pop in store?

I rang orange yesterday and they said they were stuck on pricing on the iphone.

I said I was willing to pay 125 quid for the 3GS if they could do 18months at £29.36 they said no.

Think I may use the cancel contract technique and call their bluff. :p

iPhone was what it said on the tariff - £184.50. I had to pay it upfront but they took my Nokia 5800 off me and sent it away, I was told to expect a cheque for the amount in the post in a few days. The trade in for the phone is about £100 but again, I managed to talk myself into the extra.

Like most here, I thought there was no movement on the iPhone. That's not true. There is a bit of wiggle room, just not as much. From what I understand, they can't change the minutes/texts/etc. but they CAN throw in free stuffs for you - like the insurance, or a bit extra on trade, or screen protectors/cases.

Man of Honour
I really don't understand how people justify buying iPhones (unless they are obviously stinking rich).

£44 a month for 1000 minutes 500 texts, then an additional £90 for the phone? That's £1146 for two years! What a ludicrous amount of money for something we never needed.

I will be paying £240 for 1000 mins 1000 texts for 2 years.

Just... why?! I admit, it is an amazing piece of kit and I would love to own one, but not at that price, no way jose.

Soldato
It's like all things. If you get a good deal, it's well worth it.

So far my gripes:

- Bluetooth is neutered beyond belief.
- Battery drains quite quickly.
- iTunes is like pulling teeth sometimes.

Bar that, I couldn't be happier. :)

Caporegime
I really don't understand how people justify buying iPhones (unless they are obviously stinking rich).

£44 a month for 1000 minutes 500 texts, then an additional £90 for the phone? That's £1146 for two years! What a ludicrous amount of money for something we never needed.

How many of us need a regular mobile phone? Or a computer? Or a TV?

These things are luxuries. Some people choose a fancy Hi-Fi, some people choose a fancy phone. Some people choose a fancy car, even though cars are boring as all hell.

Soldato

Nobody needs an iPhone. Anybody could get by with any other phone, at the end of the day. It's a premium product - people have them because they want one. Besides, I'm not sure £500 a year is that much, in the context of how much some people spend on nights out/fags/booze/cars/clothes/name it!

Caporegime
Lets not get into the whole is the iphone worth it debate....

Technology to some is a hobby.

Do we need to always upgrade our PC's and GFX cards?

No.

People like the latest tech.

Its that simple.

Back
Top Bottom