• iPhone 6 plus 16gb

Votes: 18 3.3%
  • iPhone 6 plus 64gb

Votes: 109 20.1%
  • iPhone 6 plus 128gb

Votes: 62 11.4%

• Total voters
Soldato
After reading so many reviews now, I have to say I'm a little surprised how apple haven't nailed it completely. Of course it's a great phone, but the biggest negatives seem to be it devours battery when gaming and as a phone it's ok but not brilliant, also the screen isn't high high end. I'd not normally be so picky, but apple charging extremely high amounts they line themselves up to having to deliver perfection, it's not quite delivered. The reason I say this is some android phones have already solved the issues, they have qhd screens while maintaining or improving battery life, the lower res androids have battery lives well in excess of iPhone 6. Apple position themselves as the world leader and charge as such, but there not delivering the package that the money dictates imo. I'll pass this time.

Soldato
Volatile memory is one of the biggest power draws in modern computers. You'd be surprised at the difference in battery drain between 1GB and 2GB.

Give that almost all the battery drain is from screen/radios how much of a difference does it make. Also having 1GB ram means you do a lot less loading/closing/managing memory so it could help.

Further more there are different version of Android phones (2gb/3gb) and I've never noticed it make any difference at all on battery life tests. Do you have any numbers how the changes 1gb/2gb would make.

HAz

HAz

Soldato
I had a text at 6.30 saying mine will be delivered on the 19th and will get tracking details tomorrow.

Sorry to hear yours is delayed, I honestly expected mine would be as I finally gave in and called them at about 4pm last Friday when their website was replaced with "call us to order".

Seriously I rang them at 12 same day

Soldato
To be fair if your app is using over 1gb of memory there's a pretty good chance you've done something wrong.

iPhones aren't really multitasking devices so ram isn't really an issue. I think were a long way from needing more and until such a time its a marketing gimmick. Ios manages ram rather well if an app calls for more ios will simply destroy a background app to free up space normally the oldest open one depending on how much is called for.

I know of no android app that uses over a gig of ram.

Soldato
To be fair if your app is using over 1gb of memory there's a pretty good chance you've done something wrong.

iPhones aren't really multitasking devices so ram isn't really an issue. I think were a long way from needing more and until such a time its a marketing gimmick. Ios manages ram rather well if an app calls for more ios will simply destroy a background app to free up space normally the oldest open one depending on how much is called for.

I know of no android app that uses over a gig of ram.

Who says they aren't multitasking devices? And I'd rather have my frequently used apps stay in RAM rather than cold start all the time, makes for a smoother and quicker experience.

Soldato
Give that almost all the battery drain is from screen/radios how much of a difference does it make. Also having 1GB ram means you do a lot less loading/closing/managing memory so it could help.

Further more there are different version of Android phones (2gb/3gb) and I've never noticed it make any difference at all on battery life tests. Do you have any numbers how the changes 1gb/2gb would make.

No because I'm not a hardware engineer, I'm a computer scientist :)

The display and radio circuits are not always active. RAM needs a constant power supply to retain its content and cannot be throttled down to a low power state like modern CPUs and SoCs. More memory banks equals more power drain.

Battery life tests with different amounts of RAM in an embedded device is meaningless unless every other hardware factor is identical, such as CPU, battery capacity, display etc.

But it's pointless going into semantics.

Soldato
2 iP6's ordered here on EE Upgrades today. F&F deals.

16GB SG - Ultd mins/txts 2GB 4G Data, £100 handset. £24.60/m 24m - Dad
64GB G - Ultd mins/txts 20GB 4G Data, £50 handset. £35.40/m 24m - Wife

The 64GB Gold is going straight on Gumtree!

Caporegime
Why though? 326 PPI looks pretty damn sharp to me.

Also isn't the Galaxy S4 a PenTile OLED display? Meaning the actual PPI for all three colours is lower than the iPhones.

I had the GFs iP5 and my HTC One side by side today to check just this. The one is a 4.7" 1080p IPS screen using the same 'chevron' pixel technology as the 6. There is definitely a difference in sharpness between the two at normal reading distances. On the other hand the difference is pretty minimal which I was presently surprised at. The One was the sharper of the to however.

That was checking the BBC homepage, so no tiny writing which I would expect to make the difference even more noticeable. Then again I have very good eyesight so maybe it won't be visible to most others.

On an unrelated note it's interesting how MS's WP "metro" style has spread. The BBC homepage (on phones) is a spiting image of the layout of WP. It is a great UI though, I just wish Apple would borrow more design queues from them.

Last edited:
Soldato
Who says they aren't multitasking devices? And I'd rather have my frequently used apps stay in RAM rather than cold start all the time, makes for a smoother and quicker experience.

Well they're not true multitasking are they(well "true" to the extent of a windows/osx/Linux system)? You can't alt tab to another screen that's still running can't use more the one app simultaneously.

How many apps do you regularly use?

I do agree cold start is annoying but I so rarely experience it I haven't thought about it in a long time.

Edit: I literally just read there's some code in ios 8 for iPads that could in the future allow true multitasking ie more than one app open simultaneously on screen.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Posting a bunch of stuff from the NFC thread as another poster linked to this Reddit thread, which in turn linked to a Crackberry thread where an employee of one of the big banks talked at legnth about why Apple Pay is awesome and why every big bank and eventually retailers will adopt it (and why it will force Google to fix Wallet).

TL;DR

http://www.reddit.com/r/apple/comments/2gij06/apple_pay_discussion_on_crackberry_forums_by_a/

The gist of it is that:

Below I've compiled some of the posts from the CB forum that go into this in more detail. This is the long bit.
That'll do!

What's to stop someone capturing the token and using that on their NFC chip?

Are you not just removing the details written on the card and replacing it with a random string of characters that essentially mean the same thing to an NFC reader?

Presume they have thought of this but it's not mentioned.

Soldato
No because I'm not a hardware engineer, I'm a computer scientist :)

The display and radio circuits are not always active. RAM needs a constant power supply to retain its content and cannot be throttled down to a low power state like modern CPUs and SoCs. More memory banks equals more power drain.

Battery life tests with different amounts of RAM in an embedded device is meaningless unless every other hardware factor is identical, such as CPU, battery capacity, display etc.

But it's pointless going into semantics.

It seems they can on smartphones going by these benchmarks done by Anandtech. I also don't do hardware but it seems the usage in ram is not too bad when compared to everything else in general.

You can see how low it goes when the phone is sleeping.

83MPxQc.png

Soldato
I believe it's covered somewhere in the thread/wall'o'text where they're talking about skimming. A bit more is explained here and here as well.

It seems much more secure compared to other attempts due to things like the biometrics, the lack of 3rd party invovlement (both the retailer/merchant and Apple itself), and you can see that all these banks believe in it since a) they're all adopting it b) it cost them significant money/resources, which they wouldn't have done unless they saw the long-term benefits.

EDIT - the actual Reddit thread goes into a lot of detail too - worth reading that.

I like the idea of, in future, all my payments just being essentially between me and the bank, with retailers (esp. online ones) not having my card details on their servers etc.

Also - this.

Last edited:
Soldato
Bit of a **** take from CPW at the moment. They're currently offering a £25 cash back on the 6 plus as a way to say sorry for the delay. The catch is only on pre-orders on or after the 16th.....

So not only do I have to wait the 2-3 weeks I also don't get my £25 sorry lol.

Not annoyed just somewhat confused haha.

Deleted member 651465

D

Deleted member 651465

Classic CPW..

State they have stock, then grab a load of preorders and web traffic. A few days later they send emails out saying "sorry, but due to limited stock, estimate delivery 2-3 weeks".

I wouldn't trust them as far as I could throw them :rolleyes:

Also, with the networks basically cutting Phones4Us throat and wanting to keep all business to themselves, I expect CPW to go the same way.

aaaaaaaaaaaaand, I was right :p

Soldato
Bit of a **** take from CPW at the moment. They're currently offering a £25 cash back on the 6 plus as a way to say sorry for the delay. The catch is only on pre-orders on or after the 16th.....

So not only do I have to wait the 2-3 weeks I also don't get my £25 sorry lol.

Not annoyed just somewhat confused haha.

When and what did you order? I place my order around 5:30 PM Monday and mine has dispatched to store for Friday pick up. Think all 6+ slate grey orders were 2-3 weeks apart from 16Gb, i picked a silver 64Gb 6+ as that still showed Fridays date.

Back
Top Bottom