iPhone on Orange *Official*

Man of Honour
No you're not. You're paying partly for the phone and the rest is subsidised by O2. Which they have to recover from your contract. Which is why you get less minutes for your contract.

An example:

iPhone 3GS 16GB on contract £44.05/month 1200 texts/500 messages/unlimited data. Free phone. 24 month contract.

£44.05 x 24 = £1057.20

iPhone 3GS 16GB at £444.40 with the Simplicity contracts above at £19.57.

£444.40 + £19.57 x 24 = £914.08

It's not exactly a rip-off when you basically have the phone on credit.

It is a rip off when you know the average costs of other phones without a contract and compare them...

Commissario
Reception on all of the mobile networks is terrible, but I have a Vodafone Access Gateway for my work phone which means for the first time I can actually use it without being in exactly the right place - I hope that Vodafone start offering the iPhone for that reason alone!

I have one of those as well, I bought three of them on the first day it was announced for work! I'm not bothered about the iPhone being on Vodafone but I'd like femtocells for both O2 and Orange.

Permabanned
No you're not. You're paying partly for the phone and the rest is subsidised by O2. Which they have to recover from your contract. Which is why you get less minutes for your contract.

An example:

iPhone 3GS 16GB on contract £44.05/month 1200 texts/500 messages/unlimited data. Free phone. 24 month contract.

£44.05 x 24 = £1057.20

iPhone 3GS 16GB at £444.40 with the Simplicity contracts above at £19.57.

£444.40 + £19.57 x 24 = £914.08

It's not exactly a rip-off when you basically have the phone on credit.

Yes it is a rip off.

I dont care how you paint the picture its still a rip off.

Soldato
Excellent news... I've been really disappointed with o2 recently... Plus with the T-mobile merge happening soon... can never be a bad thing :)

Soldato
I do haven't been too pleased with o2 recently either. The service has got a lot worse and it's clear that the iPhone has hit the data network hard since it's launch, probably more than any other phone.

In my area signal strength has been fine, but 3G speeds or lack of is all over the place. When the iPhone 3G first came out the network was so fast and I could get a 3G signal everywhere. Now I see more 'E's and blue dots.

Given that my contract is up in Jan 2010, I might hold out and sign a contract for the new iPhone in June 2010 with Orange. I hear their network is 'better'.

Associate
About time too. A bit of competition will hopefully force O2 to lower their prices or improve their shocking quality of service. If O2 do decide to enter in to a price battle with Orange, existing contract customers are going to cry blue murder. The internet is going to be a very unpleasant place to be for a while.

Associate
So, just wondering - How are people going to move from O2 to Orange when the phones are locked to O2?

In my case, assuming Orange provide a competitively priced product, I'll sell my pay&go 3G and go on contract with Orange with the next revision of the iphone takes place. I loath O2 with such a passion that I'm quite happy to take a nasty hit to leave them.

Associate
Oohh that's great news. I generally prefer Orange is I liked Orange Wednesdays when I was with them, and I also prefer Orange's style. My iPhone on O2 has been great though so it all depends on coverage and tarriffs, but it's looking good!

Soldato
I like my O2 simplicity plan, 600 min, 1000 texts & unlimited web bolt on for £19.57 per month. I think that's fantastic value for money considering I'm not tied in to any long term contracts.

Looking forward to see what Orange bring to the table, competition is always good for consumers.

£25 a month on Tesco is better. unlimited text, minutes and web

Associate
Guest2 said:
o2 also have rubbish customer service (at least i did)

I've always been pleasantly surprised how good O2 customer service have been to me. I've not had long queues using "202" call centre on my mobile and I've found the staff to be very helpful with any problem that has occurred with my contract. The porting of my old 18 month contract phone number to simplicity has also been quite painless too. If you're polite and courteous (in my experience) they've always been willing to help.

I can see how Apple giving Orange (there is a lot of fruit going on here. ;)) availability to sell the iphone being a good business move for both of them. Hopefully competition will drive prices down in time but Apple seem to hold the purse strings with the price of the Iphone in the UK.

As the article says I doubt there will be much change in the short term to pricing.

Associate
Back
Top Bottom