1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Iphone unresponsive touch screen

Discussion in 'Apple Hardware' started by flinco, 25 Apr 2010.

1. flinco

Wise Guy

Hi guys.

My flatmate has got an iphone 3g, purchased a few months after its release with a cracked screen. The phone works apart from the bottom strip on the screen where you go into messages, contacts is unresponsive. I've tried restoring, setting back to factory defaults etc and its still buggered.

As he's got a 3gs, i offered him 50 quid for the broken 3g. Does anyone have any idea how much Apple would charge to repair it? I heard it might be a flat rate.

Also could i buy AppleCare to extend the warranty and then get it done, or does the cracked screen invalidate that?

Cheers all :)

2. Wicksta

PermaBanned

A new screen and digitiser will cost you about £10 on ebay, it's pretty easy to do it yourself.

Also your mate could have sold it for £80 at one of those 'buy your mobile' places, £50 is a steal!

3. VaderDSL

Capodecina

Applecare wouldn't cover a cracked screen and you can't apply Applecare after 1 year anyway. A new screen is £139? I think for the 3G.

4. Wicksta

PermaBanned

He won't need the whole screen including LCD though, just the glass and digitiser will fix the problem - £10 on ebay.

5. VaderDSL

Capodecina

Aye :) I was just quoting the shop price if he wanted to do it that way :p Much more cost effective your way for sure.

6. flinco

Wise Guy

Cool guys :)

I need to remind him of my offer and see if he's still up for it :p