iRacing

Soldato
yeah thats not bad to try it, but i dont like any of the cars it offers to start with and the only track i like is laguna seca.

so id have to buy stuff right away...

im still tempted tho.

is it web based or is there some downloading involved?

Worth noting that the online racing setup is one of the main selling points of iRacing but it does mean you (with some exceptions) can't race any car from the off, the idea is that it's a progression so you start with a rookie licence, you drive some clean sessions and you get your Class D licence, then C, B and finally A.

The cars for the official sessions (which are basically big 12 week long championships, one track per week for that series, changing on tuesday) generally means harder to drive = higher licence level, eg on the road the Williams F1 car requires a class A licence to race.

Now quickly the exceptions, there are 'fun' races, of which I believe the F1 car has a series, and there are hosted sessions (essentially leagues, or 'random' sessions), for these anybody can join as long as they have the content.

And back to the first bit about going up licences by running clean sessions, iRacing has (imo) an awesome concept of 'Safety Rating' (as well as iRating which is simply how fast you are), for safety rating (sr) you get 'incident' points for doing various things, namely:
Off Track - 1x
Contact - 2x
Loss of Control - 2x
Car Contact - 4x

Then by tracking your incident count against the last x corners you get given sr, this is what controls your progression through the licence levels, so you don't need to be quick to get to class A, but you do have to be at least semi-clean.

And in closing, read the sporting code! :p

Soldato
Just had a blast with the G25 and I have to say, it felt very organic if that makes sense?

Very natural.

This is what I love, can't quite put my finger on what it is but it feels far more 'right' to me, the only other sim I've played that matches it is GPL, all the rest are kinda 'odd' and lack that certain something...

Associate
Client is downloaded via the website once you login.

The Main UI is web based and you launch the game from within the browser. All seems very well polished though and not "cheap" looking and is very quick.

The game/community is very stats driven from what I can tell so a web based UI makes sense.

I only tried it after seeing the developer is the guy who was the lead developer on Grand Prix Legends - lol, well, not just that, the game does have a good rep with those who play.

I think most people take it very seriously as it is expensive, so the stats (iRating and SR) are something you chase for as they get you in the races with better drivers.

Content wise you have to buy it to run a season (unless you are a rookie), so your first season could be expensive, but its worth every penny for the sheer amount of sessions iRacing host. I can also say in 2 years ive never had a server crash or any downtime thats not planned.

Soldato
Then you're losing out! Once you try iRacing you will think rF2 sucks pretty much in every aspect.

Not at all, played it for a bit and the Mazda's were fun for a while but I am not going to pay £10 or something for another car and £15 for a track.

rFactor 2 is more fun in my opinion :)

Soldato
This is what I love, can't quite put my finger on what it is but it feels far more 'right' to me, the only other sim I've played that matches it is GPL, all the rest are kinda 'odd' and lack that certain something...

That'll be Mr Kaemmer's influence then :)

I used iRacing for the 3 months for $12 at the back end of last year, but have let my subscription lapse. I rose quite quickly though the noob ranks, and gained my category C license within a couple of weeks. The Skip Barber cars were great fun to race with. At this level, the series are designed to run around the tracks that ship with the base package, and so you don't need to invest very much.

Unfortunately though, when I got up to the C license races, I found I'd have to invest an awful lot of money in content to race a whole series, as I only owned a fraction of the required content.

Shame - as it's great! I may be tempted to go back when they release the Lotus 49!

Soldato
OP
Ignoring the racing aspect....

What I love about iRacing is the structured community/social aspect.

What I loathe about rFactor is the fractured community.

Last edited:
Associate
fully agree with this, a victim of its own nature, being so open and modable, it just got out of control.
exactly the way i see RFactor 2 going.

There will be a handful of great mods i have no doubt like in rF 1, but the rest is made by some one ripping content from other games and chucking a txt file together for some physics.

Permabanned
Then you're losing out! Once you try iRacing you will think rF2 sucks pretty much in every aspect.

Uh no... I spent over a month with iracing v2 and 1 day with rfactor2 and i didn't want to look back - a weekend with it and i'm sold - physics and ffb are leagues above and beyond iracing!

If you think rf2 is anything like rf1 - don't be fooled, I hated rf1

Permabanned
i thought the ffb in iracing is top class...

i do like how the whole iracing thing works tho...

It is, until I tried rfactor, iracing was the best feeling sim i've tried... but there are some really un-natural behaviours that wind me up sometimes... the mx5 feels like it's on stilts compared to real mx5s, trail braking doesn't work properly and off-track physics are very bad.

rfactor2 does still need work, but for the most part - the feeling is exceptional.

iracing was a massive step up from things i'd played prior, nkpro seemed like a small jump & rfactor2 feels like another big jump.

iracing is, however, very much dependant on car and track... for example the radical on oulton park is exceptional! I would put that experience very nearly on-par with rf2.

Soldato
http://www.iracing.com/3-for-1/

Or enter “PR-2FREE” on the Subscription page.

That’s 3 months of racing for only $12! Here is what you get with your membership:

I have been dubious, but at that price, rude not to :)

Oddly, I was looking at this early this morning and nearly subbed at the normal $12 for one month fee - lol

Anyone up for a "noob" OcUK iRacing Series :)

Ok I am going to bite, $12 for 3 months ain't a lot and it looks very good. Would you like me to add your gmail address as a referrer when I sign up Gimpymoo? You'd get 15 dolla on you iRacing account (I know referral links are frowned upon here but Gimpy wasn't fishing for them :))

Associate
It is, until I tried rfactor, iracing was the best feeling sim i've tried... but there are some really un-natural behaviours that wind me up sometimes... the mx5 feels like it's on stilts compared to real mx5s, trail braking doesn't work properly and off-track physics are very bad.

rfactor2 does still need work, but for the most part - the feeling is exceptional.

iracing was a massive step up from things i'd played prior, nkpro seemed like a small jump & rfactor2 feels like another big jump.

iracing is, however, very much dependant on car and track... for example the radical on oulton park is exceptional! I would put that experience very nearly on-par with rf2.

edit - nevermind

I will enjoy both iR and rF2, just need some decent content to come out for rF2.

Soldato
OP
Am I right in thinking that if me and a friend both own the same track, we still cannot arrange a one off race on that track without paying?

Last edited:
Soldato
Yeah, to do a one-off session you need to setup a 'hosted session' which are, iirc, $1-3 depending on 2, 4 or 6 hours long.

crinkleshoes, odd you should find the comparison so different to how I see it, and it's not just you it seems there are some that feel that the 'feel' (specifically not physics) of iRacing are vastly better than rFactor2 (and that's my camp :p) whilst others like you seem to have found some feel in rf2 that I just can't see.

One further thing, you mentioned that trailbraking doesn't work 'properly', could you expand on that, just curious really?

And off-track physics, yeah, the grass is like ice in iracing which isn't great, but on the other hand I've gone wide in the megane on rfactor2 and just been able to keep my foot flat to the floor and rejoin, neither seem right to me...

Back
Top Bottom