iRacing

Associate
yeah if you even clip off track on Iracing your off but you can't feel any ffb from been off track it's too smooth, but then if you go off track on rfactor 2 you 8 times out of 10 can get it back on the racing line but the ffb is too violent.

agree neither are right...

Soldato
The NTM on the skippy at least did make it a bit better off track, previously just touching the grass with one rear tyre would spear you off into the scenery, now it seems like it's less severe/more catchable but still too much.

The annoying thing with the violent ffb offtrack in iRacing is that the 'fix' takes away what little feel there is (for me at least), so much so that since I reinstalled windows/everything at the weekend I didn't bother applying the fix, instead 'risking' my G25 (it's been a few years, could do with an excuse to upgrade :p)

Associate
hmmm I thought the ffb off track in Iracing had no ffb at all, rfactor 2 is 2 much tho sounds like my g27 is going to explode but I've tweaked it abit with the ini fixes and it's abit better...

Soldato
Yeah, to do a one-off session you need to setup a 'hosted session' which are, iirc, $1-3 depending on 2, 4 or 6 hours long.
Wait, WHAT?
you mean on top of sub fees, micro transactions, you have to pay AGAIN to host a race?:eek:
is there anything you dont get charged for on this?:confused:

just when i was considering being objective, swallowing my pride and actually giving this a go...

Associate
i know its wrong.

is still easy to race with your mates tho just join the same
session, practice quli or race.

I got into it last night racing the mx5's but even with how they do the safety point thing theres still some dirty drivers my rating is well down now. I did start To enjoy it a lot more once I figured out how to join the race sessions.

Associate
Iracing is expensive yes but every november iracing put on a half price for a years membership and plus credits you earn for competing in a season I think this year it will work out that I have spent around £15. Thats heaps cheaper then a lot of MMO's. You also only spend what you want when it comes to cars and tracks.

For me its the tracks that keep me coming back, they are so accurate.

Soldato
Wait, WHAT?
you mean on top of sub fees, micro transactions, you have to pay AGAIN to host a race?:eek:
is there anything you dont get charged for on this?:confused:

just when i was considering being objective, swallowing my pride and actually giving this a go...

Not really much argument against that, only benefit is that you get it hosted on a proper server rather than hosting yourself so definitely no lag issues, but still not great.

The hosted sessions are very much a side aspect of iRacing, imo, with the system they have I don't see the point in leagues, yet in more open systems like rFactor then leagues are a necessity...

Although it was nice when I was running a league a while back to just schedule the server, didn't have to be around to do anything when it actually started.

i know its wrong.

is still easy to race with your mates tho just join the same
session, practice quli or race.

I got into it last night racing the mx5's but even with how they do the safety point thing theres still some dirty drivers my rating is well down now. I did start To enjoy it a lot more once I figured out how to join the race sessions.

That doesn't work for races, they're based on irating so if you and your mate are similar (or the race doesn't 'split') then yes you'll be in the same session, otherwise you'll be put in different races. Does work for practice/qually though.

I think the rookie series has changed a lot since I was in them, back then it was fairly clean just honest mistakes, now it's got people who will never progress making it a bit of a mess. Generally the opinion seems to be 'the aim in the rookie series is to get out of the rookie series', almost to the point of using TT's to inflate your SR rather than risking it with other people around.

I race a lot in the skip barber series which is only one step above rookies and yet the racing is almost always clean and fair :)

Permabanned
*Excuse the long read*

Yeah, to do a one-off session you need to setup a 'hosted session' which are, iirc, $1-3 depending on 2, 4 or 6 hours long.

crinkleshoes, odd you should find the comparison so different to how I see it, and it's not just you it seems there are some that feel that the 'feel' (specifically not physics) of iRacing are vastly better than rFactor2 (and that's my camp :p) whilst others like you seem to have found some feel in rf2 that I just can't see.

One further thing, you mentioned that trailbraking doesn't work 'properly', could you expand on that, just curious really?

And off-track physics, yeah, the grass is like ice in iracing which isn't great, but on the other hand I've gone wide in the megane on rfactor2 and just been able to keep my foot flat to the floor and rejoin, neither seem right to me...

First thing, let me just say... I'm not claiming rFactor 2 to be perfect, it does still need quite a bit of work :) iRacing is definitely a more polished product at this stage, the feel of rf2 really sells it to me though.

Maybe the hardware has something to do with it, I'm not sure... I'm running a CSR Elite + Clubsport pedals (high enough fidelity to get full signal from the game and i think there may be some scaling/clipping/damping issues in the beta... but that's just a guess).

One thing that really winds me up in iracing is the inability to catch some really simple slides - things I wouldn't even think twice about in real life & is something that even Forza emulates (note, not simulates) better than iRacing. And it's not uniform - same speed, same corner, same throttle position... one time it just spins-out unrecoverably because it feels like it :S

This isn't frequent, but something that really stands out when it happens. I also find it very un-communicative when past the limit, so when making genuine errors/mistakes - it's not generally easy to figure out what went wrong which lends itself to a very frustrating experience and it's just not enjoyable. rf2 is very communicative - I almost always know what I've done wrong and it's enjoyable to push past it - that's one of the main reasons I like rf2... it makes me feel like I'm on a real track and is the first game/sim that's made me feel that way.

As for trail-braking... as you're reducing brake pressure pedal, the car should begin to stabilise (weight shift back toward the rear)... this doesn't happen... on any car I tried. The cars will continue to understeer as if the front tyres are fully loaded. rF2 simulates this weight change brilliantly! Perfect examples of this are the first turn at Lime Rock and the final corner at Okayama.

I really hate the SR system, it would take me over a month to get a class d license. I don't pay for a game to go out and drive sedately for weeks on end. There are too many corners where you can't ride the curbs (not going past the curb) without getting an off-track warning and/or a slow down flag - I can understand how the model has to work, but it drives me bonkers... I can't drive as I would in real life in a way that would be permitted in any style of racing. A better model would be just to enforce 2 tyres on-tarmac at all times, this would be much more realistic.

Another big gripe - the sense of speed just isn't there... the graphics themselves might be slightly better than rf2 (i think this is subjective, hdr and weather effects are much better in rf2), but the impression of speed just does not exist. It "feels" the same to be doing 150mph in the formula fun as it does 80mph in the mx5. Sure, the corners arrive quicker - but you don't feel like you're going any quicker, this took me a while to adjust to.

And again - you can take your hands off the wheel on the straights with no ill-effects in iracing... wtf? That's for the most part, at least... you definitely can't do that in the Radical on Oulton :D

yeah if you even clip off track on Iracing your off but you can't feel any ffb from been off track it's too smooth, but then if you go off track on rfactor 2 you 8 times out of 10 can get it back on the racing line but the ffb is too violent.

agree neither are right...

There is a bit of FFB off-track, but to be perfectly honest... I don't care that much about off-track FFB as long as you can feel a bit of a transition, ideally - it's the physics that I dislike.

Very tiny steering and throttle inputs make the car over-react, even in 3rd gear in the MX5 with part throttle on grass can spin out from a stand-still... try doing this in real-life :)

Then there's the cars swapping-ends under 0-throttle when re-entering the track from grass. If the cars had no weight, this might happen in real life... but they do, they have momentum... this isn't emulated in iracing. rf2 does this a lot better - although sometimes in can go a bit OTT of course - i've come off at high speed in the formula renault and been able to re-join too easily... so that needs work.

In real life... that's highly dependant on track and weather & without driving the specific tracks & going off... it's hard to know what you can do on each surface.

I will say this though, in something like the megane (or mx5) especially... when it's dry with a relatively low grass coverage - it is more than possible to keep your foot planted and re-join from grass/dirt. It will of course be less grippy than the tarmac - but still more than enough control.

I've done quite a few grass autotests and similar in a few different cars. rf2's behaviour is much closer to realistic in its current state.

One simple little thing that rf2 has wrong with the force feedback is going off on gravel - try going off at 30mph, then go off at 100mph... they feel pretty much the same. In reality, at the higher speed you'd feel fewer bumps through the car and wheel & the impacts would be more severe and more spread-out.

In rf2... car setup is much more important to how the car handles. Default setup vs my current setup in the FR3.5 on Malaysia sees a time difference of 2.5s... and I expect that difference to grow as I learn the track more and tweak the setup.

Partly annoying that you have to tweak... but it's been interesting and i've learnt quite a bit about setups over the last few days.

Here's what I've posted elsewhere too:
I absolutely love the FFB in this game, it's really brought alive my CSR Elite (something I was feeling rather depressed about buying after trying the "realistic" games like iracing).

iRacing was the best I'd tried - but even then, there just wasn't enough communication when things were going wrong, it just felt so disconnected... cue incredible amounts of frustration and annoyance as you have no idea why you just span (not every time, of course - some was obvious).

rFactor2 is so communicative, I find myself catching some evil slides that I wouldn't be able to in any other game and the feel is simply second to none.

The only thing I feel I need to work on now is the lack of communication from the brake pedal when the wheels lock up - but that is entirely down to lack of hardware - nothing the sims can do about this yet.

Here's some bits I've posted on other forums:

I downloaded the rFactor2 beta yesterday and holy crap it's amazing!

Loving this game, what I was hoping iracing would feel like! And it's still just in beta - so time for things to get even better still, nice!

Definitely the most realistic physics and force feedback I've experienced with the CSR Elite... iRacing is good, don't get me wrong... I just find some car behaviours to be frustratingly abnormal under certain conditions, especially off-track and trail braking.

Whereas rfactor2 cars behave as I would expect them to in real life... maybe a touch tail-happy in the formula renault 3.5, but it could just be me getting used to the game.

Helps when you win your first race, too

Shaping up to be a fantastic game, didn't expect to like it quite so much as I wasn't too keen on rfactor1.
Yes, I really disliked rfactor 1... didn't even persist with it to try the plug in you mention.

Up until this, iRacing was by far the most realistic driving game I'd tried (both feel and physics)...

Radical on Oulton is simply incredible (a very recently scanned track), I would describe this as slightly below the feel and physics of rFactor 2, albeit not by much.

There's talk of iRacing scanning Interlagos and Catalunya, my fav tracks - I will be very happy if they do.

The other track/car combinations don't match up to this and like you said, feel a bit more springy nascar physics... this doesn't affect the Radical on that track for some reason, even other tracks feel good with that car - it's a shame you can't race in it for months or a lot of hours to get an early license promotion :( I still have a long way to go in rookie mode before I can race the radical and i've been playing it over a month.

To begin with, you can only race the mx5 and formula fun... like a soft formula 1 car which is actually quite fun to drive & yet nobody seems to want to join any of the formula fun races... so if you want to progress, you are forced to drive the mx5 endlessly around some pretty boring tracks & it's much harder to drive than a real mx5, not just because of the lack of forces or pedal position. It just feels wrong... almost like its on stilts.

I haven't played iRacing since rFactor2 and have no desire to go back to iRacing for a while, maybe that says enough?
Some other impressive things I haven't mentioned yet... the track rubbers in during practice & lap times can improve by 2s because of this. You can feel the difference as soon as you drop off the line. And it's dynamic too - it won't just rubber in a pre-determined line, if you (and others) take a weird line, that's where the rubber will be.

Wet + Night racing is a fun experience... in the wet, after a few laps the line starts to dry out & again, you can really feel the difference, even just drifting in to the wet on a straight.

When stationary, moving the wheel, it's as if you can feel the rubber its connected to - it'll bounce back again.

The difference between wets/slicks actually feels like the difference between them in the kart I had... wets feel more... knobbly is the best word i can think of.

All of the above, first time I've ever felt a sim represent these feelings so realistically. Massive jump from other games I've played.

Other thing is, I've been finding this game so much fun... even when things are going wrong. In other games, including iracing - it can be really frustrating as the combination of the odd bit of weird behaviour and a bit of an unrealistic feeling really struggles to communicate to me why i've spun out/couldn't catch an easy slide etc...

In rFactor, I can generally tell how I've cocked up... so much more communicative when things go wrong. The only thing it can't communicate brilliantly are the wheels locking up... but that's more due to the lack of a real motor in the pedals & the vibration doesn't work on PC yet due to laclustre fanatec drivers :S However, if you're trail braking in to a corner and lock up, you can feel that in the wheel of course..

Soldato
Cheers for the detail, it is odd how we've got considerably different feelings on the two games, I'm not sure if it's solely down to wheel or whether there's 'something else'.

I think I mentioned above I've got the G25, obviously you've got the CSR Elite. In iRacing my most driven car is, by a long way, the Skip Barber, I started it in 2008 and still drive it regularly today, been through 2 iterations of the tyre model so far. Now with that experience I definitely don't agree with your opinion that there's little/no feedback once you're sliding, or that trail braking doesn't work (I agree with how you say it should work though, I can't say I've noticed one way or another in rFactor2 so that implies it acts as I expect).

Maybe it's more subtle but I definitely feel that when I've got the skippy sideways I know what it's going to do (and even that bit before when I'm provoking it sideways), and I never have a spin that I can't see what happened. And that applies to the Late Model as well which I've run extensively both on ovals and road circuits.

I don't really trail brake with the Late Model as it doesn't really respond well to that, the skippy however was made for trail braking, and it works exactly how I expect.

On the SR topic, I can only think of a handful of places where the 1x SR around kerbs etc is too harsh, places like Spa for example, but changing it to just mean '2 wheels on track' (which I think it was during the beta days) wouldn't really work, mainly as everyone would push right to that limit and then complain when they go over 'just slightly' and get a 1x. There needs to be a limit, and whilst I understand some of the frustration on those handful of places where it's 'wrong' ultimately it takes all of 10 minutes to find out the tricky bits and alter your line to avoid them, simples :)

Back to the wheel/something else bit again though, and specifically on rFactor2, again the feeling is completely different to me, the Megane is ok but I just don't 'get' either the F1, F2 or Formula Renault 3.5's, just no feel whatsoever. I can save some slides, specifically thinking the F2 here, but that's not through feel that's more through a combination of the car sliding in a very predictable manner and the visible aspect of the sim.

It'll be interesting as/when this G25 dies I'll probably be getting a Fanatec wheel, and maybe it is just that and my viewpoint will change...

Soldato
If hosting a session, can you stipulate AI cars?

Also, can you set mandatory pit stops?

There's no AI at all in iRacing, interesting discussion about that in the club england forums atm/recently, personally I don't mind but I've always found AI to be useless so not fussed either way :p

Not sure about the pit stops, don't think so other than by specifying a fixed setup that doesn't have enough fuel.

Soldato
OP
There's no AI at all in iRacing, interesting discussion about that in the club england forums atm/recently, personally I don't mind but I've always found AI to be useless so not fussed either way :p

Not sure about the pit stops, don't think so other than by specifying a fixed setup that doesn't have enough fuel.

Thanks for the reply.

That is a shame about the AI.

Would be nice, especially as a noob to practice, especially with friends with AI cars on the track without making a tool of myself on the public servers.

Soldato
That's kinda the point of the open practice servers, join/leave at any time and it's just a case of drive/practice as much as you like. I've never seen anybody get angry about anything there, I've been taken out by a n00b but I've also taken other people out by being a n00b, simply apologise and everyone goes on their merry way :)

Permabanned
Cheers for the detail, it is odd how we've got considerably different feelings on the two games, I'm not sure if it's solely down to wheel or whether there's 'something else'.

I think I mentioned above I've got the G25, obviously you've got the CSR Elite. In iRacing my most driven car is, by a long way, the Skip Barber, I started it in 2008 and still drive it regularly today, been through 2 iterations of the tyre model so far. Now with that experience I definitely don't agree with your opinion that there's little/no feedback once you're sliding, or that trail braking doesn't work (I agree with how you say it should work though, I can't say I've noticed one way or another in rFactor2 so that implies it acts as I expect).

I definitely preferred the skip barber to the mx5 - but having driven a real formula ford, the rear-end is too light & I still found it rather un-communicative.

It is very much car dependant... like I said above, I adore the Radical! It's just my other niggles that spoil the experience - main one in the Radical is the lack of sense of speed :(

Maybe it's more subtle but I definitely feel that when I've got the skippy sideways I know what it's going to do (and even that bit before when I'm provoking it sideways), and I never have a spin that I can't see what happened. And that applies to the Late Model as well which I've run extensively both on ovals and road circuits.

I don't really trail brake with the Late Model as it doesn't really respond well to that, the skippy however was made for trail braking, and it works exactly how I expect.
Could even be as simple as the Logitech drivers work better with iracing & fanatec drivers work better with rf2 :S

On the SR topic, I can only think of a handful of places where the 1x SR around kerbs etc is too harsh, places like Spa for example, but changing it to just mean '2 wheels on track' (which I think it was during the beta days) wouldn't really work, mainly as everyone would push right to that limit and then complain when they go over 'just slightly' and get a 1x. There needs to be a limit, and whilst I understand some of the frustration on those handful of places where it's 'wrong' ultimately it takes all of 10 minutes to find out the tricky bits and alter your line to avoid them, simples :)
Weirdly, I didn't have any trouble in the ARX or Radical on Spa with "cutting" corners... never really affected me on there, or Oulton either.

For me, on Okayama - one that constantly catches me out is the 3rd corner (2nd tighter 90*).

Then on Lime Rock, it's the penultimate corner.

Sure - you can learn them - it's just frustrating when you can't drive as you would in reality because of some silly ott rating system.

Back to the wheel/something else bit again though, and specifically on rFactor2, again the feeling is completely different to me, the Megane is ok but I just don't 'get' either the F1, F2 or Formula Renault 3.5's, just no feel whatsoever. I can save some slides, specifically thinking the F2 here, but that's not through feel that's more through a combination of the car sliding in a very predictable manner and the visible aspect of the sim.
Very weird, I get the best feedback from the FR3.5s - can feel everything in that car, even subtle suspension setup changes are communicated through the wheel!

The only negative comments I'd have about the FR3.5 are that the rear end is un-realistically light. I've been able to dial a lot of that out with setup - but it's still there.

The old F1/F2 cars are mental! F3 seems ok though - I've barely touched them though, so can't really comment - I'll drop back in these at some point...

It'll be interesting as/when this G25 dies I'll probably be getting a Fanatec wheel, and maybe it is just that and my viewpoint will change...
If you weren't so far away, I'd say pop over and have a play :p

The CSRE is my first wheel and I've never even used a G25/G27 - so I can't compare.

Soldato
I definitely preferred the skip barber to the mx5 - but having driven a real formula ford, the rear-end is too light & I still found it rather un-communicative.

It is very much car dependant... like I said above, I adore the Radical! It's just my other niggles that spoil the experience - main one in the Radical is the lack of sense of speed :(

I've not driven a real car of that ilk, just out of curiosity have you driven the NTM (or NNTM depending on reference point :p) much, it's not so much that it's got better rear grip but the way you have to drive it now is much less slidey.

I enjoy the radical, but i'm also guessing it's not really very realistic, basically it seems to be slow down and then powerslide, fun yes, but possibly not right? I get the sense of speed thing as well, although the Radical feels especially slow to me compared to the HPD I think cause the wheel arches are vaguely similar :p

Could even be as simple as the Logitech drivers work better with iracing & fanatec drivers work better with rf2 :S

Weirdly, I didn't have any trouble in the ARX or Radical on Spa with "cutting" corners... never really affected me on there, or Oulton either.

For me, on Okayama - one that constantly catches me out is the 3rd corner (2nd tighter 90*).

Then on Lime Rock, it's the penultimate corner.

Sure - you can learn them - it's just frustrating when you can't drive as you would in reality because of some silly ott rating system.
Spa at Pouhon I need to be aware of, and also one or or two other area's I can't remember, where I 'think' the line should be sometimes goes that bit too far.

Guessing Okayama short? Only drove that the week 13 when it was released, not sure if they've changed but it I had no problems whilst drifting through there in the skippy (part of my misses the old tyre model :p)

I can see the LRP penultimate corner one though, although iirc you need to run really quite wide on the exit to do so? and/or go right towards the end of the kerb.

Very weird, I get the best feedback from the FR3.5s - can feel everything in that car, even subtle suspension setup changes are communicated through the wheel!

The only negative comments I'd have about the FR3.5 are that the rear end is un-realistically light. I've been able to dial a lot of that out with setup - but it's still there.

The old F1/F2 cars are mental! F3 seems ok though - I've barely touched them though, so can't really comment - I'll drop back in these at some point...

If you weren't so far away, I'd say pop over and have a play :p

The CSRE is my first wheel and I've never even used a G25/G27 - so I can't compare.
I've not driven the FR3.5 all that much, but around Portugal I get a horrible chattering/hopping in the corners through the wheel but no feel whatsoever about what the car's doing/what wheels have grip. Oddly I didn't find it too bad on the power/rear-end side of things, some mid-corner 'slides from nowhere' that kinda make me think of what you describe iRacing to be like though :p

Permabanned
I haven't touched the NTM, I don't think - Oval car, right? I haven't tried any oval racing, doesn't interest me.

Weird - I hardly get any powersliding in the Radical, unless I floor it too early on exit.

You really have to abuse it to lose grip, especially in higher speed corners.

Wish I could show you - just no idea how to get us even in a practice session together on iracing :(

Driving the Radical takes me back to driving the Palmersport JPLM - it feels that good to me!

Yes - Okayama Short.

I actually get it on the inside of that penultimate corner! i tend to not run too wide on it.

The chattering/hopping is down to a combination of car setup & rubber-free track.

I find it worst when exiting a slow corner... it's just too eager to snap away, even when tweaking the diff pre-load. Mid-high speed corners i have no real trouble with the rear - just setup related lack of balance.

Pop over to the rf2 thread, download my fr3.5 setup and try malaysia gp with rubber (get some AIs out to join you).

I'll set my server up for it later if you want... got a few spare mins, so going to jump back in the Radical and see if my views have changed on it at all since playing rf2 so much.

Permabanned
Just did ~6 laps on Oulton... how on earth have you been powersliding it?

The only times when it stepped out for me where:

- lifting at the wrong time in a fast corner (these are designed to be driven under power)
- clipping the grass
- trail-braking (but it was doing that rather well on the slower corners, shifting the rear where i wanted it to be as early as i wanted it there)

And I was abusing it... not being gentle on the throttle at all.

Associate
Just did ~6 laps on Oulton... how on earth have you been powersliding it?

The only times when it stepped out for me where:

- lifting at the wrong time in a fast corner (these are designed to be driven under power)
- clipping the grass
- trail-braking (but it was doing that rather well on the slower corners, shifting the rear where i wanted it to be as early as i wanted it there)

And I was abusing it... not being gentle on the throttle at all.

Its well known the fastest way to drive the Rad is by going sideways, look at all the top drivers and how they drive it.

Permabanned
Its well known the fastest way to drive the Rad is by going sideways, look at all the top drivers and how they drive it.

You made me look on youtube... hardly drifting round all the corners, are they?

There's the odd bit of getting on the power a bit early to get the back end stepping out a little on exit and trail braking to fling the back round on entry... i'd hardly call any of them driving sideways :S

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom