iRacing

Soldato
OP
What is a recommended car/track combo to purchase for a noob to be able to progress well and learn?

A friendly forum-ite kindly put me down as their referer (I did not ask) so I have $15 iRacing credit :)

Many thanks.

Associate
You made me look on youtube... hardly drifting round all the corners, are they?

There's the odd bit of getting on the power a bit early to get the back end stepping out a little on exit and trail braking to fling the back round on entry... i'd hardly call any of them driving sideways :S

I must be lieing then.

Associate
I really hate the SR system, it would take me over a month to get a class d license. I don't pay for a game to go out and drive sedately for weeks on end. There are too many corners where you can't ride the curbs (not going past the curb) without getting an off-track warning and/or a slow down flag - I can understand how the model has to work, but it drives me bonkers... I can't drive as I would in real life in a way that would be permitted in any style of racing. A better model would be just to enforce 2 tyres on-tarmac at all times, this would be much more realistic.

While I dislike part of the SR system (the pointless 1x you get when going over a curb just like a driver going to the limit should be doing), going from license to license is so damn quick it shouldn't be a problem unless you are trying to drive like it's an off-line racer and paying no attention to other drivers. I'm very average driver and I do make mistakes quite often but once I decided to go for it, I went from D license to A license in less than two weeks. Granted, I think I got the promotion from B to A when season ended, not during the season. But the other licenses I got just by driving a race or two a night.

The licenses are really not a problem and overall I think SR makes the racing that much more enjoyable when most drivers are actually paying attention to what they are doing on the track. Sometimes the system is so frustrating when you have a bad race and end up collecting 1x mistakes all over the place but overall I really prefer SR over no SR.

Associate
I'd just like to see bud, no need to take offense...

What you say contravenes how they drive in the real world, so I'd be very interested as it would back up my opinion that the physics in iracing are a bit off :p

Sorry, didnt mean to come across as a tool there!

It does you are right, its something to do with the OTM, the oval guys used to say to be fast with them they had to go slightly side ways too.

Permabanned
While I dislike part of the SR system (the pointless 1x you get when going over a curb just like a driver going to the limit should be doing), going from license to license is so damn quick it shouldn't be a problem unless you are trying to drive like it's an off-line racer and paying no attention to other drivers. I'm very average driver and I do make mistakes quite often but once I decided to go for it, I went from D license to A license in less than two weeks. Granted, I think I got the promotion from B to A when season ended, not during the season. But the other licenses I got just by driving a race or two a night.

The licenses are really not a problem and overall I think SR makes the racing that much more enjoyable when most drivers are actually paying attention to what they are doing on the track. Sometimes the system is so frustrating when you have a bad race and end up collecting 1x mistakes all over the place but overall I really prefer SR over no SR.

Two weeks! Wow... must have been a lot of boring hours :p

The point, for me, is I like to push the limits in a game. Other than the Palmersport day, it's the only opportunity I get to really try and push cars right to their limit.

Whenever I'm driving one of my cars/toys or someone else's, it's always sitting in the back of my mind... "****, this could get expensive if a balls-up"... so I'm always holding back a bit.

I don't want to do this in a game, especially in the "rookie" leagues... you should be allowed to push and make lots of mistakes. You learn by making mistakes...

There are a lot of alternatives I can think of that I, personally, would much prefer... but I can see how the SR is the best all-round system... that doesn't change the fact that I hate it though.

If they at least gave us some rookie series that allowed you to use cars like the Radical - I never want to jump in that MX5 again, but I have to spend a LOT of hours in it because no-one touches formula fun... argh!

I don't have two weeks to play non-stop... and even if I did, I wouldn't want to spend it driving sedately to improve my rating.

The rFactor racing leagues works much better for me as I can just jump straight in!

Sorry, didnt mean to come across as a tool there!

It does you are right, its something to do with the OTM, the oval guys used to say to be fast with them they had to go slightly side ways too.

No worries, glad we didn't get our wires too crossed :)

Slightly backs up what a friend said... they seem to have built an engine for Nascar and then tried to tweak that engine for road driving... makes complete sense with the "on stilts" feeling I get with the MX5.

Associate
Two weeks! Wow... must have been a lot of boring hours :p

The point, for me, is I like to push the limits in a game. Other than the Palmersport day, it's the only opportunity I get to really try and push cars right to their limit.

Whenever I'm driving one of my cars/toys or someone else's, it's always sitting in the back of my mind... "****, this could get expensive if a balls-up"... so I'm always holding back a bit.

I don't want to do this in a game, especially in the "rookie" leagues... you should be allowed to push and make lots of mistakes. You learn by making mistakes...

There are a lot of alternatives I can think of that I, personally, would much prefer... but I can see how the SR is the best all-round system... that doesn't change the fact that I hate it though.

If they at least gave us some rookie series that allowed you to use cars like the Radical - I never want to jump in that MX5 again, but I have to spend a LOT of hours in it because no-one touches formula fun... argh!

I don't have two weeks to play non-stop... and even if I did, I wouldn't want to spend it driving sedately to improve my rating.

The rFactor racing leagues works much better for me as I can just jump straight in!

No worries, glad we didn't get our wires too crossed :)

Slightly backs up what a friend said... they seem to have built an engine for Nascar and then tried to tweak that engine for road driving... makes complete sense with the "on stilts" feeling I get with the MX5.

Well the core of the engine comes from NR2003 which as the title suggests is a NASCAR sim, i think it was made by papyrus and then the guys from iRacing took it over and made it how it is now, i dont beleive there is a lot of the old engine left to be honest, but it does show some times that it was an oval sim.

Soldato
I haven't touched the NTM, I don't think - Oval car, right? I haven't tried any oval racing, doesn't interest me.

NTM = New Tyre Model, introduced a couple of builds ago, massively improved at the last build. It's designed to be a purely formula based, eg not 'empirical' like most/all other models where it's a case of 'thats how a tyre should behave, and these arbitrary numbers get us there'. It's not exactly complete yet but it's showing promise imo.

Weird - I hardly get any powersliding in the Radical, unless I floor it too early on exit.

You really have to abuse it to lose grip, especially in higher speed corners.

Wish I could show you - just no idea how to get us even in a practice session together on iracing :(

Driving the Radical takes me back to driving the Palmersport JPLM - it feels that good to me!

At high speed it's fine, it's almost all related to the low speed stuff.

Yes - Okayama Short.

I actually get it on the inside of that penultimate corner! i tend to not run too wide on it.

Ah, all the cars I've driven there haven't taken kindly to that kerb so I'm always on the inside of it so never had a problem :)

The chattering/hopping is down to a combination of car setup & rubber-free track.

I find it worst when exiting a slow corner... it's just too eager to snap away, even when tweaking the diff pre-load. Mid-high speed corners i have no real trouble with the rear - just setup related lack of balance.

Pop over to the rf2 thread, download my fr3.5 setup and try malaysia gp with rubber (get some AIs out to join you).

I'll set my server up for it later if you want... got a few spare mins, so going to jump back in the Radical and see if my views have changed on it at all since playing rf2 so much.

Got a new 6950/6970 to install in a bit, but might try and do some practice if I can.

Just did ~6 laps on Oulton... how on earth have you been powersliding it?

The only times when it stepped out for me where:

- lifting at the wrong time in a fast corner (these are designed to be driven under power)
- clipping the grass
- trail-braking (but it was doing that rather well on the slower corners, shifting the rear where i wanted it to be as early as i wanted it there)

And I was abusing it... not being gentle on the throttle at all.

You made me look on youtube... hardly drifting round all the corners, are they?

There's the odd bit of getting on the power a bit early to get the back end stepping out a little on exit and trail braking to fling the back round on entry... i'd hardly call any of them driving sideways :S

Maybe powersliding was the wrong term, I've just attempted to get a clean/quick lap in but after 8 laps I'd only managed a 1:27 (international w/brittens iirc) and gave up.

The main places where I do it is out of shell oils, the chicane, knickerbrook and lodge. There I'm accelerating too early/too hard so that the rear is no longer gripping properly and is 'just the right amount of sideways'. I realise that to a certain extent a small amount of 'sideways' is how a car should be when going quickly, but imo (and from a perspective of never driving a radical, or even a car around a track, only raced bikes) this is 'too much' sideways. And it seems most of the members agree with that.

There's also a little 'odd' bit on the exit of island bend, and I intentionally get the car a little bit sideways going into the old hall and druids.

That's what the new tyre model is designed to stop, and it seems to help a lot, the skippy especially where before you had to really slide it to be fast, way more than the radical, now you need to back up the corner from before and take it much more sensibly, it's slightly less fun for me at least but far better for it.

Soldato
Well the core of the engine comes from NR2003 which as the title suggests is a NASCAR sim, i think it was made by papyrus and then the guys from iRacing took it over and made it how it is now, i dont beleive there is a lot of the old engine left to be honest, but it does show some times that it was an oval sim.

That engine is based off the GPL engine though afaik, which was purely road... :p

They do have a tendancy to do a lot on oval stuff, but ultimately I don't think you can say the engine is an oval engine bodged to work, I don't think that's giving them the credit they deserve

Permabanned
NTM = New Tyre Model, introduced a couple of builds ago, massively improved at the last build. It's designed to be a purely formula based, eg not 'empirical' like most/all other models where it's a case of 'thats how a tyre should behave, and these arbitrary numbers get us there'. It's not exactly complete yet but it's showing promise imo.

Ah, me being a ding-bat then :)

At high speed it's fine, it's almost all related to the low speed stuff.

Ah I see, be wary of low-speed turns in my FR35 tune, it's better than stock - but still twitchy, especially on the first pair of hairpins.

Ah, all the cars I've driven there haven't taken kindly to that kerb so I'm always on the inside of it so never had a problem :)

Haha, yeah - it has flung me around a bit when catching it at just the wrong angle... there's a really fast line for it I've found, clipping it - but every time I try the line, it hits me with a 1.0x :(

Got a new 6950/6970 to install in a bit, but might try and do some practice if I can.

Nice one, I just got confirmation that my GTX580 is going to be showing up pre-1pm tomorrow :D

Be mindful of the ATI performance comments on the Beta forum. For AA/AF, you need to force them in CCC and turn them off in the game for the best performance, I also found the crowd movement option caused me texture glitches - so I've left that off. If that's a second 6950/70 for crossfire, be sure to create a custom CF profile.

It took me a while to adjust "back" to rf2 if that makes sense, from playing other things - so put in a bit of time, if you feel like it... if it really doesn't do much for you, then fair enough.

It's interesting that there are two camps for these two games.

Maybe powersliding was the wrong term, I've just attempted to get a clean/quick lap in but after 8 laps I'd only managed a 1:27 (international w/brittens iirc) and gave up.

The main places where I do it is out of shell oils, the chicane, knickerbrook and lodge. There I'm accelerating too early/too hard so that the rear is no longer gripping properly and is 'just the right amount of sideways'. I realise that to a certain extent a small amount of 'sideways' is how a car should be when going quickly, but imo (and from a perspective of never driving a radical, or even a car around a track, only raced bikes) this is 'too much' sideways. And it seems most of the members agree with that.

There's also a little 'odd' bit on the exit of island bend, and I intentionally get the car a little bit sideways going into the old hall and druids.

That's what the new tyre model is designed to stop, and it seems to help a lot, the skippy especially where before you had to really slide it to be fast, way more than the radical, now you need to back up the corner from before and take it much more sensibly, it's slightly less fun for me at least but far better for it.

I understand what you mean now, thanks for the explanation.

Associate
That engine is based off the GPL engine though afaik, which was purely road... :p

They do have a tendancy to do a lot on oval stuff, but ultimately I don't think you can say the engine is an oval engine bodged to work, I don't think that's giving them the credit they deserve

Nah i have a lot of respect for iRacing, its my sim of choice! But i was under the impression most of it is from NR2003, I had heard the roumer of some of it was GPL but wasn't to sure of it being true.

Soldato
Ah I see, be wary of low-speed turns in my FR35 tune, it's better than stock - but still twitchy, especially on the first pair of hairpins.

Sounds fun, I do like the radical, I just think that it's an example of the flaws in the iRacing 'old tyre model' which hopefully will be improved in the next release or 2 (there will be more cars transferred over to the ntm next build, just don't know what :p)

Nice one, I just got confirmation that my GTX580 is going to be showing up pre-1pm tomorrow :D

Be mindful of the ATI performance comments on the Beta forum. For AA/AF, you need to force them in CCC and turn them off in the game for the best performance, I also found the crowd movement option caused me texture glitches - so I've left that off. If that's a second 6950/70 for crossfire, be sure to create a custom CF profile.

Already read most of that, upgrading from a 5850 1Gb, main reason is for the 2Gb vram upgrade, should help when running 5760x1200, although it would also help if I remembered to order the mini-dp adaptor :p

Just the one card, tried crossfire once and it's more hassle than it's worth.

It took me a while to adjust "back" to rf2 if that makes sense, from playing other things - so put in a bit of time, if you feel like it... if it really doesn't do much for you, then fair enough.

It's interesting that there are two camps for these two games.

I'll keep playing it, but I think unless the beta changes and/or a stunning mod (or OcUK league?) comes along I'll be sticking to iRacing as my main sim :)

Come on then! Whats everyones real names on the iR forums?

Simon D Roberts

Joshua Harley, amusingly in the Radical vid that crinkleshoes posted I'm starting 8th right at the start of the vid, I then got caught up in a spin on the exit of T1 so when the camera pans you see my car spinning off into the grass. I'm Famous! :)

Nah i have a lot of respect for iRacing, its my sim of choice! But i was under the impression most of it is from NR2003, I had heard the roumer of some of it was GPL but wasn't to sure of it being true.

I meant 'that' engine as the NR2003, afaik it basically went GPL (although again that used a small amount of code from NASCAR 2 iirc?) morphed into NR2003, which was then bought by iRacing when papy shut down (Dave Kaemmer obviously knowing the engine made it a simple choice :p)

But yeah, I don't know how much of NR2003 remains but I'd imagine it's less than half if not less even than that.

Associate
The annoying thing with the violent ffb offtrack in iRacing is that the 'fix' takes away what little feel there is (for me at least), so much so that since I reinstalled windows/everything at the weekend I didn't bother applying the fix, instead 'risking' my G25 (it's been a few years, could do with an excuse to upgrade :p)

What fix are you referring to?

Soldato
Associate
@ SKILL. Does the FFB fix for iRacing stop the horrible rattling noise it makes? I know my house mate would love it if I could stop the wheel making that damn noise all the time.

Back
Top Bottom