iRacing

Soldato
I bought the Cayman when it came out, it was a bit vague in the steering which put me off and I've hardly run it since to be honest. Driven a few hours in week 13 in the Macca and it's good, very good. They've gone over the GT4 cars again - had a go in the BMW and they've sorted that out for this season. I need to have a good go in the Cayman again.

NES I'll likely run the TCR as I did last season. Looks like I need to find a new team mate after @MikeTheNative's post above! :p

Soldato
I've not got the McLaren yet and not driven the M4 recently so just been driving the Cayman to get used to it...

I'd probaby echo MagicBoy that it's a bit vague on the steering, still trying to get fully used to how to get it turning in nicely and consistantly, sometimes when I get it right it feels pretty good, and getting more consistent with that but still a ways to go, it's no Skippy that's for sure :p

Soldato
McLaren is light on the steering and feels a bit over assisted at least on baseline setup. Somewhat like my real world old man Toyota for grocery getting. :p

Cayman when originally released felt that it was wandering around a lot, like there was something loose in the steering. Apparently it's better now, I really need to get it out on the 'ring for a proper bash. Thinking of running GT4 officials for this season.

Associate
Thanks guys. I've been reading up on people's opinions on the 570S and watching some videos on it right now and some people mention that the 570S reminds them a lot of the Skip Barber. Interesting.

Soldato
So I was bored and bought the McLaren and did a few laps, I can kinda see why people compare it to the Skippy, the rear end is crazy light under hard braking but, at least in my few laps, if it actually went (rather than skating around under braking) I wasn't able to catch it at all, not even close :p

Cayman is way more stable under braking, if anything a bit sketchier under throttle out of corners, wouldn't say there's much in the kerbs between the two. The mistakes I made in the Cayman just slowed me down a bit, the mistakes in the McLaren had me spinning off track, think I'll stick with the Cayman for now...

Associate
So I was bored and bought the McLaren and did a few laps, I can kinda see why people compare it to the Skippy, the rear end is crazy light under hard braking but, at least in my few laps, if it actually went (rather than skating around under braking) I wasn't able to catch it at all, not even close :p

Cayman is way more stable under braking, if anything a bit sketchier under throttle out of corners, wouldn't say there's much in the kerbs between the two. The mistakes I made in the Cayman just slowed me down a bit, the mistakes in the McLaren had me spinning off track, think I'll stick with the Cayman for now...
From what I've found out upon just reading up on the car, the brake balance needs moving forward a touch on the 570S, the baseline is quite aggressive.

Associate
So I bought the 570S yesterday and was practising Sebring for a few hours. Managed to get my time down to a low 2:13 but my optimal was a low 2:12. And I think I still left a bunch of time one track.

Fast forward to today, I decide to jump into a race. IMSA Michelin Pilot series, obviously. I skipped qualy because this was going to be my first ever non MX-5 race, 11 days into my iRacing career. I started 20th, gave the pack a few second lead and then went for it. I finished 8th in the end, 0 incidents, gained 46 iRating and gained 0.28 Safety Rating.

I had my heart in my mouth for most of it but I made next to no mistakes. Love this thing.

Soldato
Not bad, Congrats :)

Was your race pace similar? Did a handful of laps with the Cayman on the baseline setup before the W13 fun, got to similar laptimes but felt the changes I made for Hockenheim may be able to improve that, as well as generally being happier in the car. I did read the alien pace is around high 2:09's, which is a bit far from where I'm at (I'm no alien but feel like I should be closer :p)

Did you see there's a couple of people making free sets in the IMSA forum, currently got Cayman, McLaren and TCR sets? Not tried either yet.

Associate
Not bad, Congrats :)

Was your race pace similar? Did a handful of laps with the Cayman on the baseline setup before the W13 fun, got to similar laptimes but felt the changes I made for Hockenheim may be able to improve that, as well as generally being happier in the car. I did read the alien pace is around high 2:09's, which is a bit far from where I'm at (I'm no alien but feel like I should be closer :p)

Did you see there's a couple of people making free sets in the IMSA forum, currently got Cayman, McLaren and TCR sets? Not tried either yet.
My race pace was in the 2:15s but I was overfueled and took it fairly easy. It's only my 2nd day driving a relatively fast car, didn't want to mess up.

I saw the setup in the IMSA forum, tried it and it's super stable but seems slower for me than baseline.

Soldato
My race pace was in the 2:15s but I was overfueled and took it fairly easy. It's only my 2nd day driving a relatively fast car, didn't want to mess up.

I saw the setup in the IMSA forum, tried it and it's super stable but seems slower for me than baseline.

Fair enough, I was curious so just did ~6 laps using the Cayman set from the forums and was decently quicker than I was previously, not sure how much is setup vs way more seat time but it was good :)

Did 2:12.3 pretty much straight away and a 2:11.9 for the last lap, Optimal down to a 2:11.1, happy with that :p Probably won't get a chance to race until Thursday evening and/or the weekend but looking forward to it.

Associate
BTW guys, the 570S is getting some extra downforce in tomorrow's patch. And the BMW is getting more downforce too and a bit more power to compensate for the increased drag. That should make things interesting.

Just did my 3rd race of the day btw, qualified 3rd and finished 5th, was 3rd for a bit but the 2 guys behind me were faster so I let them through rather than risking contact. Comfortable 5th, zero incidents. Fun thing, and I hate myself for it, I decided to drive the car back to the pits and picked a 1x on the inlap. Was fuming.

Associate
Its been a long time since I've done a season in iracing. Can anyone recommend a series to do for season 2 please?
I'm way out of practice and will be miles over rated, I'd just want something to get back into the swing of things.
Last time I played I was racing in the GT3's
Something for Oval and Road.
I have B licence for both, don't mine buying cars/tracks
And lastly is there any discords servers that you guys use?

Soldato
There's loads of options these days... GT3s are still around, looks like a few of us here are doing the GT4's, still got the classic Skippy, or Radical.

I've not done a race in the GT4s yet but done a couple of full fuel runs and feels good so looking forward to doing a race today/tomorrow. Also did some Skippy practice and if anything that feels better this season, gonna do a few races as well. Hopefully next week I'll get some racing in earlier in the race.

Oval side what do you like/did you do last? I'm not really a fan of the big ovals like NASCAR, but do enjoy the short track, Late Model is my go to but may do the odd SK race this season, not planning a full season in either though. Road is my focus I think.

Soldato
Did my first race in the GT4s... Not quite according to plan :p

Ranked 4th (lols), qualified 8th, was really happy to see a 2:11.092 but I guess just a fast track... Then I went and spun on T1, like a n00b... thankfully didn't take anyone out, and although I hit the back of the car into the wall it didn't do much damage it seems, although maybe to pace but not race ending at least. Then had a couple of really good, and importantly, clean battles. Don't even know where I ended but had fun so all good. 3x overall, the spin and a single 1x off track, quite happy with that :)

Associate
I think I'll grab the 570S, I do like the GT4's in AC
I was thinking a fixed series for the oval, B licence
I'll get it all set up tomorrow, that's gonna take a couple of hours as it is :D

Back
Top Bottom