1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Iranian Football

Discussion in 'Speaker's Corner' started by FTM, 7 Jun 2006.

1. FTM

Soldato

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/middle_east/5052000.stm

I dont know why but I can't get Life of Brian out of my head when I read this story

"Are there any women here??"

on a more serious note...do their husbands have to censor what they watch..are they allowed to watch the football in the comfort of their own homes, or are they simply not allowed to see another mans legs full stop?

at also suprised me to see the president making such a gesture...but the fact that his wishes were overturned indicates he doesnt really have much influence

Last edited: 7 Jun 2006
  2. starscream

PermaBanned

Link not working for me :(

3. dirtydog

PermaBanned

It's a backward country, what can you say...

4. House

Mobster

Have you been there?

Iran is far from backward,

Its muslim and while it may not be my choice it is for the majority over there and I have no right to tell them otherwise.

The wests attempts to force Iran to follow its path by sanctions and the rest will only casue isolation. Most young Iranians i meet would like to be more modaerate but also feel under the hammer from the US.

The carrot works better than the stick in allot of cases and Irans future is one of them.

5. Yas786

Caporegime

Nice post there mate :). According to quite a few it is backward mainly because its run by muslims who are a tad fanatical ie the President has come out with corkers of statements lol.

Personally i think its a step in the right direction but judging by the rabid views in here, its never enough for you lot:p. Oh well im sure theres quite a few things they could say about the UK and its lifestyle...just we dont hear about it that much.

6. VIRII

PermaBanned

It was a step in the right direction from the President but he was over-ruled by the religious leaders.

What do you think about women not being allowed to watch football matches? Do you think it is Islamic or is it stupid, backwards and a result of the religious fervour decreed almost entirely by old men?

7. cleanbluesky

Capodecina

No-one affords rights and if we are not vocal about that with which we disagree we are guilty of collusion.

8. cleanbluesky

Capodecina

Yeah, making comments about wiping Israel off the map has got the UNs back up... he also seems to be generally anti-semitic...

I think its an underrated step in the right direction, to get women engaging in such things would help to make a general change in opinion and help pro-female politics...

9. VIRII

PermaBanned

The article seems to suggest that a lot of women are less than happy with being banned from watching men play football? Whose choice is it really? The elite of the religious leaders or the peoples?

10. Spie

Godfather

Not backward at all, right? Can someone please justify the above position?

11. i know nothing

Mobster

Yes

Always makes me smile. I'm sure if pressed you'd tell us all how modern Tehran is, just like a Pakistani would tell us how modern Karachi is (and yes I've been there too).

Now take a car and travel for 1 hour out into the country from either one of those cities and tell me it's not backward...

12. House

Mobster

Ok I've been to Tehran and Abadan, I know what parts of Iran are like.

And the not backwards comment is based on the fact that the people there are educated and (considering the clamp down on access to media) well read on how the world sees them.

I wouldn't call terhan modern, most of the cars on the road date from the 70s desing wise and some of the infrastructure is by western standards appauling.

My point is the people of Iran are always portrayed as these barbaric fundimentalists and I can assure you this is not the case, I worked with many graduates (male and female) who were skilled and hard working, Yes the girls covered up when they went outside but they do in saudi as well and comparitavely few people complain about how "backwards" the saudis are.

Iran will change from dealing with people in there 20s (and allot of the people there are in their 20s it has a very young population) a large % of the people there will want Big macs and Ipods and thats what brought China into the world playing field and will do the same to Iran.

Being the whiping boy of the US will only give the clerics more say in the day to day running of the country.

13. House

Mobster

No i cant but catholics beleive contraception is a sin and i can't jusity that either

IMHO all religions are equally nutty if you look at them form someones elses religions point of view.

One of the many reasons im an anthiest

14. House

Mobster

The peoples of course BUT people gave the clerics power and its upto the people of Iran to remove that power not anyone else.

15. House

Mobster

But many times being vocal is the wrong thing to do.
    Would you walk into a church and disagree which every they say to the preist/vicar ?
    No you just don't go to a church.

I refused to be my neices godfather becasue i would not stand in a church and swear to do something i dont beleive, but i still went to the service and didnt say anything.

16. i know nothing

Mobster

So the education is not that good then is it? ;)

17. House

Mobster

I dont understand,

What im trying to say is if a country is being hounded then the population are more open to fanatical ideals.

one of the reason educated people voted Hitler into power was because germany felt (some what justly) it was oppressed by the rest of the world.

Cornered people fight back, the problem is once you've put someone in a corner how go you get them out of it without a fight or them thinking they can walk all over you?

18. Yas786

Caporegime

Personally i think its quite silly that women arent allowed to watch football matches, i cant see any harm in letting them watch a football game tbh.

Last edited: 8 Jun 2006
  19. Yas786

Caporegime

No its not backward, its something instilled in islam that looking at a mans or womans naked skin gives you those certain feelings etc. I dont expect anyone to even comprehend anything like that but its more or less a religious reason. Why do you think women over there are covered up from head to toe??, yes the typical response to that is that they are forced to do so...utter rubbish...some of them are but most do it out of their own choice. Why do they do it?? because according to islam the womans beauty should be hidden from other men and only shown to her husband or husband to be.

Let me ask you this....my gf sometimes wears a hijaab....she will definitely wear one all the time when we get married...does that make her repressed because she chooses to wear one??. Personally i have told her its her decision and doesnt bother me in the slightest...its good because then i wont have dirty old men perving at her all the time:p. Same goes for my daughters, should i have any...if they choose to wear the hijaab or dress then fine by me.

Of course ill be accused of repression and whatnot but how can someone be repressed if they choose to do something of their own accord:confused:

20. House

Mobster

well put

I assumed allot the women didnt want to cover up and was suprised that allot of them had no issue with it at all, its just normal to them.

I was expecting the only women i saw in Iran to be moving around the streets in groups like something out of a film.

I was very suprised to sit next to a educated well spoken Iranian women broke almost every stereotype i had preconceived.

Oh and she hated football FYI casue she used to complain about me and the lads talking about it.