Is a ladies step through any use off-road?

Soldato
The missus wants to join me and boy for trail/forest/Park rides. However, she's keen for a step through classic style ride with a basket. I imagine this wouldn't be practical for off-road due to weight and wheel size. Are there any models out there that do both, classic look but can tackle off-road?

Cheers

Soldato
On flatter routes and depending upon the ground conditions, off-road is feasible on many bikes.

~28mm wide tyres are a decent starting point on drier trails, CX bikes are often limited to 33mm tyres in races and do fine (providing you have chosen the right type of tread pattern for the conditions), but something wider in the 40-60mm range will give more comfort if not inflated to near their max recommended pressures.

The general guide is you can fit a tyre that still gives ~6mm gap to the fork's side and top (a 6mm hex key is often an easy way of judging this). Once you know that, we can suggest tyre models.

Soldato
I bought my wife this Giant hybrid many years ago. The low drop on the frame makes it look very feminine, and the pink of course! It's got lockable front suspension too so pretty good on the roads.

HJjfAEJh.jpg.png

Associate
My wife was after a pashley style bike but we ended up with a step through gazelle esprit in Ivory. Well built and lovely riding position. Sure not a mtb but haven’t any issues taken the kids on trans pennine trial etc, not exactly off road. She got a rose gold helmet from thousand, which I wasn’t sure about but is actually really cool. Basket from basil coming soon for shopping/picnics. hth

Associate
There’s 3 holes on top, no discomfort. It’s a commuter type helmet so great for a leisurely ride out with kids etc. No use for training though, but you’re not looking at that type of bike. Got a little pop out section so you can lock it to the bike too which is cool. Colour is really rather nice, and I’m not a fan of metallic clothing colours. Got me some browny points for sure!

Back
Top Bottom