Is anyone else fed-up every new game being a crafter?

Soldato
The only game I like crafting in is Witcher 3, as it adds value to your game, if playing on hardest difficulty. And I love how when you make an oil or potion, it's done, you get the mats for it, you create it and then you don't need to worry about getting those mats again. As it replenishes just using alcohol found throughout the game and refills when you meditate.

Soldato
I don't mind crafting but I increasingly want games which allow me to crack on with more fun stuff. It's why I like games like Bannerlord and Deep Rock.

Man of Honour
As some others have posted, it depends how it is implemented.

Where it's one of the core mechanics driving the game (and done well), then I have no problem with it, e.g. you've listed Subnautica, but the whole point of the game is that you're stranded on an alien planet with no resources - it makes sense that the majority of the game revolves around collecting and building what you need to escape. The crafting (and need for new resources) also drives the need to explore deeper (and so unlock more of the storyline). It also helps that it's not particularly grindy - basic resources are everywhere, and easy to get, none of this "chop down 48 million trees just to build a basic shelter", and even the end-game resources are relatively plentiful when you can actually reach the correct areas.

Compare that to e.g. Cyberpunk (which I loved), and the game wouldn't really have been any different if there was only basic weapon/armour modding.
I agree with this, my son plays Subnautica and whilst I worry a bit that he won't really understand the 'metagame' (using resources in the most efficient way rather than 'wasting' stuff), the whole game is built around the survival/looting/crafting concept, so it feels natural. As you say, having plentiful resources helps.

Contrived crafting annoys me, in fact in a lot of games I try to ignore it even if it might be helpful. I've always got this paranoia in my mind about "wasting" resources so I try and stockpile them, e.g. I wouldn't want to use an ingredient to build say a mid-tier item, if I might later in the game be able to use that resource to craft a top-tier item. So I'll have loads of gems or whatever cluttering up my inventory. Or I don't want to craft ammo if I can just scavenge it, because I might hit max ammo, and then I've "wasted" the materials used to craft the ammo because I now can't pickup the ammo that is just lying on the floor.

A good example of contrived crafting I think was Far Cry 3 or 4(?) can't remember exactly which FC game. You had to go around skinning animals so you could craft a bigger wallet to hold more cash. Yeah, because the amount of cash you can carry is totally dependent on how big your wallet is. Why can't I just ditch the wallet and fit more notes in my pockets? :mad: I'm out in the middle of nowhere with loads of goons trying to shoot me, animals trying to eat me, but when I get out of here Imma walk in da club flashing this new leather wallet and they'll be falling at ma feet, baby....

Caporegime
Doesn't bother me but i hate item durability crowbar that breaks after clubbing ten mushy zombies fuuuuuuuuu.
As featured in the TLOU, and making absolutely no sense whatsoever.

Apparently a steel pipe is only good for a couple hits before it dissolves into a pile of rust, and nails hammered into a baseball bat will magically disappear after the first use.

I won't bother asking for an explanation, those mechanics are just there so the crafting system can be "useful" to the player. Read: tedious.

Not to mention the frankly horrific auto-save feature which causes you to lose ammunition if you have to re-load. Grrrr. That's another of my bugbears: games that auto-save every 5 seconds, meaning that you have to manually save before encounters. Otherwise if you try to re-load after a cockup cascade you will simply be returned to a point mid cockup :p

Soldato
A good example of contrived crafting I think was Far Cry 3 or 4(?) can't remember exactly which FC game. You had to go around skinning animals so you could craft a bigger wallet to hold more cash. Yeah, because the amount of cash you can carry is totally dependent on how big your wallet is. Why can't I just ditch the wallet and fit more notes in my pockets? :mad: I'm out in the middle of nowhere with loads of goons trying to shoot me, animals trying to eat me, but when I get out of here Imma walk in da club flashing this new leather wallet and they'll be falling at ma feet, baby....

pretty sure it was 3.

another perfect example of bad crafting implementation, i can get an mp5 from a vending machine but apparently nobody sells rucksacks, bandoliers or holsters. if i lose said mp5 then i can just pick up another one from said vending machine for free.

on the subject of which, said vending machine mp5 will work flawlessly, 100% of the time, will never jam even when fed ammo that was just lying in the dirt or covered in blood from the pockets of some dude who also presumably found his ammo lying on the ground somewhere.

but then i'm probably in the minority that enjoyed that aspect of fc2, and indeed the ammo crafting side of fallout (because that at least makes sense thematically)

Caporegime
pretty sure it was 3.

another perfect example of bad crafting implementation, i can get an mp5 from a vending machine but apparently nobody sells rucksacks, bandoliers or holsters. if i lose said mp5 then i can just pick up another one from said vending machine for free.

on the subject of which, said vending machine mp5 will work flawlessly, 100% of the time, will never jam even when fed ammo that was just lying in the dirt or covered in blood from the pockets of some dude who also presumably found his ammo lying on the ground somewhere.

but then i'm probably in the minority that enjoyed that aspect of fc2, and indeed the ammo crafting side of fallout (because that at least makes sense thematically)
I'm not sure how much it really makes sense in post-apoc games, either.

In general anything useful would have been scavenged almost immediately.

After 20, 50, 100 years or whatever, there wouldn't be anything useful left to scavenge. There would be a bunch of unusable junk, heavily deteriorated. Maybe if you're lucky some re-start of industrial production, but there wouldn't be crafting materials just lying around that you could use for anything complex. That would be long gone. Scavenged by the first survivors or rotted away.

The only stuff left would be in the highly irradiated areas where people feared to go. And after enough time had passed for those areas to become safe, their contents probably wouldn't be in great condition.

So yeah, I'm just not sure how much sense scavenging makes. Especially when in most games there are resources literally strewn across the whole map, just waiting for the player to pick them up. Lol, no. That's not happening in any reality.

Soldato
I'm not sure how much it really makes sense in post-apoc games, either.

In general anything useful would have been scavenged almost immediately.

After 20, 50, 100 years or whatever, there wouldn't be anything useful left to scavenge. There would be a bunch of unusable junk, heavily deteriorated. Maybe if you're lucky some re-start of industrial production, but there wouldn't be crafting materials just lying around that you could use for anything complex. That would be long gone. Scavenged by the first survivors or rotted away.

The only stuff left would be in the highly irradiated areas where people feared to go. And after enough time had passed for those areas to become safe, their contents probably wouldn't be in great condition.

So yeah, I'm just not sure how much sense scavenging makes. Especially when in most games there are resources literally strewn across the whole map, just waiting for the player to pick them up. Lol, no. That's not happening in any reality.

i can kinda see where you're coming from, although the first rounds would be folk scavenging actual rounds rather than primers etc.

but then in fallout everyone decided to make bottle caps a currency so there's a certain suspension of disbelief required.

Soldato
The only thing I am fed up with at the moment, is every other game being a battle royale.

Really? There ain’t that many as far as I can tell and there hasn’t been a major one released since Warzone has there?…I’m not a massive fan either especially the economics of such games but there are far more survival games releasing.

And Op I’m with you, I hate crafting as well. It’s a cheap padding mechanic that can technically be classed as ‘content’ and can make the player sink their entire waking life into something…nope, no thanks.

Then there are other mechanics as well, I remembered ages ago when I first tried Ark and I tried to tame a dinosaur, it was going to take something like 24 real life hours or something…..nope, fu, uninstall.

Don’t understand people playing these types of things when its feels like work, surely we play games to escape that exact thing?

Soldato
Yeah crafting done badly can be tedious but its just a plot device to build missions round.

Why can't I just ditch the wallet and fit more notes in my pockets? :mad: I'm out in the middle of nowhere with loads of goons trying to shoot me, animals trying to eat me, but when I get out of here Imma walk in da club flashing this new leather wallet and they'll be falling at ma feet, baby....

Cant remember which game it was one of the Far Cry's I think it was but the one where you just found a bigger rucksack solved the crafting for carrying items issue which was a good idea. I know what you mean though instead of gathering 3 items to craft something just nick the item off that bad guy you filled with lead. Actually it wasnt Far Cry think it was State of Decay 1.

If you crafted the wallet from Pulp Fiction then maybe it wouldnt be too bad and you felt bad ass.

Back
Top Bottom