Is anyone going to make a non-TN 22"

Associate
Hey, I bought a Sammy 226bw when they first came out and was impressed by it in many ways, but i ended up returning it as the difference in brightness top to bottom just turned everything into a gradient which i couldn't put up with. Am i right in thinking all the 22" TN panels are like this? and if so, does anyone know of any panels this size that arnt TN, I daren't fork out for a 24" dell :X.

Associate
As far as I know all 22" are TN.

I wasn't bothered by the top/bottom difference on the Sammy, the left right angle bugged me much more (you got a reddish tinge towards the right n left on a white page). Apart fromt hat it's an excellent Monitor.

The 24" models have their own problems, mainly I've found this to be ghosting - possibly due to overdrive (see my other thread in this section for details). But it's something I can live with (I think).

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Maybe my individual panel was a little worse than most, no idea, but in the top 1/3 or 1/4th of the screen it was a lot darker, id set the gamma in a game so it was reasonable in the middle, then if i looked down (ingame) i wouldnt be able to see the top if it had dark objects or shadows in. I do bits of design work too, nothing too demanding but i would at least like colours to look the same over the whole panel.

Soldato
Yeah, I hated that colour gradient thing on the two TN+Film monitors I owned and I ended up returning them both too. Now got a Dell 2007WFP with it's superb S-IPS panel but I suppose that will be too small for someone who has used a 22".

Can't think exactly why there haven't been any non-TN 22" panels, but there probably won't be any if there haven't been any by now (which there haven't). Maybe the price would be too close to the 24"ers for them to sell well. Also the uninformed masses don't really care about panel type, you've only got to read the number of posts by people who buy TN+Film and then think it's wonderful (having never used anything better to know the difference). Like the people rushing to buy the SM226BW because there's a bit of hype around it, when in reality it has all the usual TN+Film weaknesses.

Only real answer is to save up for the 2407, there's some great deals around on it. SM215TW is supposed to be one of the more laggy screens so I wouldn't chose that for gaming.

Associate
fish99 said:
Only real answer is to save up for the 2407, there's some great deals around on it. SM215TW is supposed to be one of the more laggy screens so I wouldn't chose that for gaming.

Reading reviews on the 215 and also from testimony of OCUK users - its fine for gaming.

Back
Top Bottom