1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is Britain Full ?

Discussion in 'Speaker's Corner' started by 4T5, 19 Apr 2010.

1. 4T5

Man of Honour

Panorama Tonight.

This thread is to discuss the topic covered by Panorama tonight.
    Is Britain full ?
    We are the Smallest country in Europe with the Highest population Density.
    Water usage has got out of hand & we are on the Brink of a Crisis. We need to bring Water usage to the Political fore & sort this out Before it becomes a Major problem to business as well as domestic users.
    London, Essex & Kent are obvious examples of over crowding with some people having to commute for up to 3 hours because although they live 25 miles away from work the population density has slowed travel to a snails pace.
    House building has changed as well with the distance between front doors being reduced from 50 feet to 25 feet on new builds & houses being considerably smaller than they used to be.

Personally I think it's time to forget the good feeling you have inside or the left wing ideology you may have & start to realise that within a very short time we are going to be living in rabbit hutches & living off re constituted water.
    Our whole emphasis has to change from short term monetary gain to long term survival in a changing World.

Discuss. :)

2. arknor

Caporegime

goverment would call you a racist biggot if you dont want open border policy and multi cultural britain.

tipping point was probably 10 years ago

3. Gaidin109

Mobster

I would have though countries in Europe such as Luxemburg for size are smaller than the UK. Belgium and the Netherlands are smaller with higher pop density, so do they have the problems or is this just a media induced fairy tale.

4. Haiku

Wise Guy

Part of the problem is that the population is ridiculously centralised, with too many people crammed into the south-east of England. Maybe there should be incentives to encourage people to move to less populated areas like the north of Scotland? There's plenty of free space up there and lots of water too. I can't blame people for not wanting to live there though, I'm Scottish and I wouldn't.

5. Dolph

Man of Honour

No, we're not full, we just have too many people unwilling to pull their own weight with high expectations. A few are immigrants, most are natives.

6. craptakular

Capodecina

As for the water thing, lets just say I used to work in water resources for east anglia. All the rest of the country is fine, water is everywhere, except East Anglia - especially Norfolk, Suffolk and Essex. Essex's water is pumped from The Wash and outputted in the River Stour for abstraction. Wihtout it and Aberton Res Essex would have issues.

7. robgmun

Capodecina

The Japanese seems to do fine with lack of space. And they have very tough immigration policlies.

8. craptakular

Capodecina

They still have a culture though and a decent world-class transport system.

We have a transport system from 19th century lol.

9. 4T5

Man of Honour

Well personally i notice it when i leave my cozy little town.
    Around my town there is plenty of room, You can always find a parking space & the Q's at the lights are minimal, it never gets to busy in the shops & there is always time for a chat.
    When I leave my town things go from lovely to mental immediately, Traffic is a nightmare,, Q's are Terrible & if you do stop to shop you have to fight your way to the tills.

Cheers for the Water info Oxy.

10. robgmun

Capodecina

i have to admit it was nice not to feel overrun with asians and moslty saw hot oriential women.

You don't realised what a relief it is until you not always surrounded by them

11. scorza

Caporegime

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fk2R_mqV4ts

Even with a world-class transport situation, I think the above situation is something we should work towards avoiding in this country.

12. 4T5

Man of Honour

It would be nice to think that our Government could discuss & work this out without being over ruled by people who are misguided & use the Immigration issue to stop the change that is needed.
    I agree that there is Plenty of space elsewhere & want Business & government to encourage a move away from Centralisation.

13. craptakular

Capodecina

In our country, someone would stab someone for a space and everyone else would step over the body to get on the train while the police fill out a risk assessment, in triplicate before entering the train station.

14. 4T5

Man of Honour

Surely in our Country we send in Special Ops to slaughter the innocent. :D

15. craptakular

Capodecina

I can't wait to leave! If I can :s

:)

The only positive I can think of is the NHS, which is awesome!

The rest, well ... even our football team is pants.

16. scorza

Caporegime

Nah in our country you just get people who won't move down the frickin carriage and block other people from doing so. There's no way the train companies would employ people to make sure everyone got on - would hit their bottom line.

17. 4T5

Man of Honour

I Love our Seasons & the rain & all the Greenery/trees etc I just love how fertile our country is I s'pose.
    I also really appreciate the old buildings & history & our Women, Some of the Euro women are Great but they just can't make a Decent cup of Tea.

18. 4T5

Man of Honour

Back on Topic.

Apparently we will need a 100 thousand new homes built every year for 25 years to accommodate the rise in population.
    With the countrys finances as they are & getting worse, Where will that money come from ?

19. Admiral Huddy

Caporegime

I agree with you Malc and I personally feel that the migration imbalance doesn't help:

There are more people immigrating than emigrating with a net difference 163,000 in 2008

An estimated 590,000 people arrived in the UK in 2008, 574,000 in 2007 and 596,000 in 2006.. 86% were non-British citizens. So that’s over ½ million a year - or nearly one a minute.

Asylum claims are running about 30,000 a year (2008)

The independent Office for National Statistics (ONS) projects an increase of just over 10 million in the next 24 years, nearly all in England. 70% will be due to immigration

There are than 300 primary schools in which over 70% have English as a second language; this is nearly a half million children.

Source - government statistics 2008

http://www.migrationwatchuk.org/what-is-the-problem

Personally, I don’t have an issue with immigration but would like to see tougher laws imposed to make those numbers above balance. i.e. immigration = emigration. I would like to immigrants:

• Contributing positively to society.
    • To integrate into our society rather that segregate the way some communities do.
    • That they have good communication skills, such as English.
    • That they show respect for our own culture and understand our own history.
    • That they don’t just come here for the free ride and take advantage of an already over stretched system and infrastructure.

20. craptakular

Capodecina

I thankfully live in Suffolk where immirgration isn't as profound (bad) as other areas. Although it is getting more "diverse".

I was doing a PGCE last year in an inner city primary. Parents swearing/fighting in playground, verbal abuse at teaching staff, kids who are seriously at risk from... well use your imagination and times it by 10.

Actual teaching was nearly impossible due to tantrems, kids fighting, kids refusing to do work and running off, the list goes on.

I volunteered at a good school before starting the course and fell in love with it, but good school's where i live are like 1 in 10. Teaching was depressing, it was supposed tgo be my ticket to New Zealand :/ gggrrrrrr aaahhhhh