Is buying 128GB RAM overkill?

Associate
Hi
OK so I am building a new PC for many different home uses, a bit of conferencing, streaming, games and some 4K movies.

Is 128GB overkill? Would 64 be plenty or if I have the budget then take advantage of it?
(Looking at 3600s with a Ryzen 9)

Caporegime
Even 32GB is overkill for your usage really. 64 is pointless, 128 is just wasting money. If you want to future proof slightly, go for 32GB with 2x 16GB DIMMS and then you can add another 32GB later if you like.

Soldato
32gb is plenty for you.

I use 64gb, however that's a software development machine running, multiple databases etc, and I'm lucky to see 32GB of the 64GB in use.

There is a luxury in having large amounts of memory however, it gives lots of space for Windows standby to cache files - as I type this I have 21GB stored in standby files, and that's a beautiful thing as cached files are faster then the fastest solid state storage. For example in games you can reload a game map, and often it will reload from standby memory, if you have the space for standby memory to cache it of course.

Also you can have open so many different screens, applications and everything is very fluid, that said 32gb is still plenty for your situation.

Last edited:
Associate
Hi
OK so I am building a new PC for many different home uses, a bit of conferencing, streaming, games and some 4K movies.

Is 128GB overkill? Would 64 be plenty or if I have the budget then take advantage of it?
(Looking at 3600s with a Ryzen 9)

64gb is more than enough for anything but for your needs 32 is fine but go with 64 because it will be future proof

Back
Top Bottom