Is buzzing from watercoolers normal under load?

Associate
With the UK heatwave upon us, my EK-Velocity CPU watercooler seems to be straining to keep my Ryzen 3900X cool. Whenever load is put on the CPU, there's a very loud buzzing sound from the pump. I've tried adding some additional silicon washers to dampen the vibrations, but without much success.

I'm wondering if this is normal, and a 28C room is above what the pump can handle quietly, or if there's something wrong with my pump itself. Has anyone else from the UK with water cooling found their pumps are super noisy this week? Or could their be an issue with my setup?

Thanks in advance!

str

str

Soldato
I've been working on a new build with a D5 pump and it's now running very quiet with almost no vibration at 35% PWM.

It was very noisy and vibrating a lot more before I got the trapped air out of it.

I ran it at 25% PWM and tilted the case then turned off the pump so the air could escape from it. There was a lot of air trapped so I had to repeat it a few times. It's a 3900XT with a monoblock and a waterblock on the Strix 1080 TI.

I can switch the pump to full speed and it only makes a mild hum sound with minor vibration but there is still trapped air in other parts of the loop and at that speed it eventually gets more air trapped in it. :D

Associate
OP
Thanks for the replies! Mine currently sounds like a car idling at low power, and a lawnmower at high power. I've checked for air bubbles, and tilted the case around, but it hasn't had an effect. My guess is that my pump is just defective, and I'll need to get it replaced.

Back
Top Bottom