1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is it worth buying the current Mac Book pro 15 or waiting?

Discussion in 'Apple Hardware' started by Madeddie, 22 Jul 2013.

1. Madeddie

Gangster

worth buying the current Mac Book pro 15" now or wait?

As the title says - although i'm not desperate to buy one but would certainly like one - Is it worth buying now or is their likely to be a new model out in the next 3 months?

TIA

2. duffers20

Gangster

The buyers guide on MacRumors gives you the number of days each generation of Apple products have been out for.

Here is a link: http://buyersguide.macrumors.com

According to the guide, the MacBook Pro has been out for 406 days and the Retina version has been out for 159 days and their advice is not to buy as they anticipate updates soon.

If, however, you aren't too bothered about new CPUs etc then you could pick yourself up a bargain when they do release the newer models.

3. lamboman

Mobster

September-November we should see some new releases, which will almost 100% include new MBPs. If you aren't desperate, I'd definitely wait if I were you - as duffers said above, old models will be available more cheaply at other retailers aside from Apple, and the new Haswell machines will likely have great battery life (probably on par with the MBA).

4. peige

Mobster

I've never seen that webpage before, really useful link thanks :)

5. Madeddie

Gangster

6. Jonod2977

Gangster

Try and get a retina if you can, they are a hell of a lot better and faster (obviously more expensive)

7. hyper_piper45

Mobster

I am also waiting for the new 15" retina MBPs to be released. The main improvements that I am looking forward to are increased battery life and 802.11ac wi-fi. As I usually keep my machine for 3 years I am sure I will be taking advantage of the increased wi-fi sped in that time.

8. Jonod2977

Gangster

Hopefully Haswell as well!

9. Fallen god

Soldato

I would wait, the improved iGPU will go a long way in a retina machine I believe. Battery life should be better to (hoping for 10hours of light users and 6-7 of med). The screens are a little hit and miss at the moment, mostly with the LG ones causing some ghosting issues so hopefully that will also be sorted.

10. N19h7m4r3

Sgarrista

There's also the chance of Apple switching to a new NVIDIA 750m, or what ever new AMD, or NVIDIA card is out by then for dedicated gpu.

Mix that with Haswell for batterylife, and it's iGPU and you have a solid machine.

Also apparently the new LG panels aren't as bad as the old. Can't testify to that though, as I recently had my old LG replaced and got a Samsung one. Been smooth sailing since.

11. rare

Soldato

I am waiting as well. Looking to upgrade my 2011 macbook air to a 13/15inch retina pro. I really hope they upgrade the GPU. I would love the option of a gtx GPU, even at more cost.

12. Fallen god

Soldato

The new intel graphics is very comparable to the GTX graphics, they have come a really long way.

13. Gibber

Gangster

Definitely wait! Apple will no doubt be releasing the new Haswell line of MacBook pros at the beginning of autumn and it should be a nice upgrade. I'll be updating my mid 2010 with a 15" retina model soon, really can't wait. :)

14. ince

Perma Banned

Hold out for now and see what the new one has

15. Tunney

Capodecina

I assume that Apple wants to phase out the non-retina MBPs. I think they could end up seeing as much love as the Mac Pro has done recently.

There's lots of rumours around that the retina models will be upgraded to Haswell next month.

16. Fallen god

Soldato

I doubt the 13" MBP will go but I do see the 15" getting killed off soon. The 13" will stay purely for the entry level price and the fact that it is still the best selling Mac IIRC.