Is it worth upgrading from X370 to X570?

Associate
Hi guys.
I want to upgrade my Ryzen 1700 to 3800x and was wondering if it's worth to grab new gen MBU as well. I have two other reasons that makes me tilt more towards upgrading MBU:
-I can't properly mount M.2 drive because i broke sth, it has to be mounted into slower slot.
-my ram is not officially supported by that motherboard and after few bios updates I managed to get it only up to 2933 Mhz. Upgrading CPU might fix that, but I'm not sure.
I wanted to ask for someone else opinion since I have some knowledge but it's clearly not perfect.

Atm my current specs look like this:
AMD Ryzen 1700, overclocked to 3.8Ghz and cooled by cooler master masterliquid 240
MSI X370 GAMING PRO CARBON
Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200Mhz 2x16GB CMK32GX4M2B3200C16
GIGABYTE AORUS GTX 1080 Ti Xtreme 11Gb
EVGA SuperNOVA 850 G2

Ps. I know it's a different category but might as well ask to not create other thread. Since Ryzen 1st Gen and 3rd Gen are both AM4, my cpu cooler shouldn't need any new brackets to mount it on 3800x, right?

Associate
I have just made the jump from a 1600X on a Gigabyte X370 Gaming 5 to a 3700X on an MSI X570 Meg Ace, I decided it was worth the change as I consider it should do me for 4 years as the next Zen chips should be supported if I just fancy a CPU change in a couple of years.

The memory was the big win as the highest I could run on my Hyperx Predator 3333Mhz C16 was 3200 but its at 3600 C17 with a 2 minute manual OC and I may try C16 when I get the time.

The extra full bandwidth M2 slots are good for future storage as my 1tb Nvme is filling up at and alarming rate with games, Destiny 2 is 92gb on its own when I re-downloaded it.

I have a 6 year old Corsiar H100 cooling it and swapped from the original Ryzen build with the same mobo mounts so your cooler should be fine

Associate
Hi guys.
I want to upgrade my Ryzen 1700 to 3800x and was wondering if it's worth to grab new gen MBU as well. I have two other reasons that makes me tilt more towards upgrading MBU:
-I can't properly mount M.2 drive because i broke sth, it has to be mounted into slower slot.
-my ram is not officially supported by that motherboard and after few bios updates I managed to get it only up to 2933 Mhz. Upgrading CPU might fix that, but I'm not sure.
I wanted to ask for someone else opinion since I have some knowledge but it's clearly not perfect.

Atm my current specs look like this:
AMD Ryzen 1700, overclocked to 3.8Ghz and cooled by cooler master masterliquid 240
MSI X370 GAMING PRO CARBON
Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200Mhz 2x16GB CMK32GX4M2B3200C16
GIGABYTE AORUS GTX 1080 Ti Xtreme 11Gb
EVGA SuperNOVA 850 G2

Ps. I know it's a different category but might as well ask to not create other thread. Since Ryzen 1st Gen and 3rd Gen are both AM4, my cpu cooler shouldn't need any new brackets to mount it on 3800x, right?
You still have a very capable system. If I were you, I'd at least wait until the 3rd gen early adopter teething problems seemed to have been ironed out before making the jump. By then, you might be able to snap up a bargain along the way too.

With the AM4 socket being the same, yes your cooler will be able to fit using your existing mounts. Motherboard's RAM, VRM, etc clearance will obviously differ from motherboard to motherboard.

Associate
OP
You still have a very capable system. If I were you, I'd at least wait until the 3rd gen early adopter teething problems seemed to have been ironed out before making the jump. By then, you might be able to snap up a bargain along the way too.

With the AM4 socket being the same, yes your cooler will be able to fit using your existing mounts. Motherboard's RAM, VRM, etc clearance will obviously differ from motherboard to motherboard.

That's a good idea, forgot that 3rd gen just recently came out and I'm not particularly in hurry to buy it at this very moment. But in that case I would have another question. I follow tech very loosely, do you know how long it might take to fix the problems of first wave of CPUs/MBUs? Any kind of educated guess is enough, probably easiest would be using previous generations as example.

I don't think I will drop idea of upgrading (probably will buy both CPU and MBU), but I guess waiting to have less problems is for the better, especially since I'm not experienced enough to sort out any major issues that I could encounter.

Caporegime
If your existing board supports Ryzen 2 I'd stick with it. Were only likely to see one more Gen before a socket change AFAIK as DDR5 will need a larger platform change.

So if possible I'd hold onto your board for this upgrade then do a larger upgrade later.

Associate
That's a good idea, forgot that 3rd gen just recently came out and I'm not particularly in hurry to buy it at this very moment. But in that case I would have another question. I follow tech very loosely, do you know how long it might take to fix the problems of first wave of CPUs/MBUs? Any kind of educated guess is enough, probably easiest would be using previous generations as example.
If you're going X570 + Ryzen 3000 CPU, then I'd guess over the next month or so it'd be quite stable. The next AGESA update is due soon, which should hopefully improve the platform.

If you're pairing an older motherboard with a Ryzen 3000 CPU, then support for this takes longer because motherboard manufacturers prioritise support for their latest products. Total guess would be 2-3 months for this to stabilise. MSI have actually acknowledged they've been having some issues with some of their B450/X470 motherboards:
https://www.reddit.com/r/MSI_Gaming/comments/ce3ift/msi_b450_tomahawk_update/
They have not yet provided a solution to those that have been experiencing such issues.

I don't think I will drop idea of upgrading (probably will buy both CPU and MBU), but I guess waiting to have less problems is for the better, especially since I'm not experienced enough to sort out any major issues that I could encounter.
Since you're not in any rush to upgrade and you don't sound like you want to tinker/troubleshoot much with settings, you might wish to look out for deals in the build up to Black Friday.

Associate

If you just want it to work flawlessly and don't need the extra performance right now, I'd agree waiting a couple of months is probably for the best, maybe even wait for B550 and save some money

I'm sticking with my X370 Taichi. Got a 3700X arriving today.

I don't need pcie 4 yet for any devices. I'm not keen on the idea of a chipset fan. And they're expensive.

You may be pleasantly surprised!
I've got the same motherboard and after updating to the 5.60 BIOS, there is the option to set the PCIe speed to 4.0. Don't have any gen4 devices to test throughput though.

(btw I hear it's not recommended to update beyond 5.10 unless you're going for a 3xxx chip, as they ran out of space so it removes some BIOS options!)

Soldato
You may be pleasantly surprised!
I've got the same motherboard and after updating to the 5.60 BIOS, there is the option to set the PCIe speed to 4.0. Don't have any gen4 devices to test throughput though.

(btw I hear it's not recommended to update beyond 5.10 unless you're going for a 3xxx chip, as they ran out of space so it removes some BIOS options!)

Great stuff, I'm, looking forward to setting it up and having a play. That's great news about PCIe 4 if it works!

I've got the 5.64 bios from the X370 taichi overclocking thread as it looks like they're having good results with it.

I think that's mostly a problem with MSI boards with ROM chips that are too small.

Associate
OP
If your existing board supports Ryzen 2 I'd stick with it. Were only likely to see one more Gen before a socket change AFAIK as DDR5 will need a larger platform change.

So if possible I'd hold onto your board for this upgrade then do a larger upgrade later.

While idea is pretty tempting, I don't know how I feel about waiting that long and DDR5 might have some issues at launch as well which can extend waiting for even longer. I will need to read some more about DDR5 to see if it's actually that impactful.

Since you're not in any rush to upgrade and you don't sound like you want to tinker/troubleshoot much with settings, you might wish to look out for deals in the build up to Black Friday.

It's not like I'm completely against tinkering or troubleshooting, if I was I wouldn't build that PC by myself when I could just buy prebuilt setup. I'm just afraid that I might encounter issues that I'm not able to solve, afterall it's my first PC build.
Waiting to Black Friday seems like a reasonable option. If I decided to just get CPU, 4 months should be enough for major fixes to be introduced to my older MBU bios. If i decide to get new MBU as well, most issues should be solved by that time anyway.

Soldato
I have just made the jump from a 1600X on a Gigabyte X370 Gaming 5 to a 3700X on an MSI X570 Meg Ace, I decided it was worth the change as I consider it should do me for 4 years as the next Zen chips should be supported if I just fancy a CPU change in a couple of years.

The memory was the big win as the highest I could run on my Hyperx Predator 3333Mhz C16 was 3200 but its at 3600 C17 with a 2 minute manual OC and I may try C16 when I get the time.

The extra full bandwidth M2 slots are good for future storage as my 1tb Nvme is filling up at and alarming rate with games, Destiny 2 is 92gb on its own when I re-downloaded it.

I have a 6 year old Corsiar H100 cooling it and swapped from the original Ryzen build with the same mobo mounts so your cooler should be fine

AMD only promised 4 years of support on the AM4 platform. That was 3 years ago. So as the current plan stands Ryzen 4000 will be the last series for that socket.

Back
Top Bottom