Is my build good? FutureProof?

Associate
So I'm an old builder, overclocker and tech modder but been out the game for 6 years (about 30 tech years ) because life. After much studying of the new technologies started buying up parts after planning my build. For s*** and giggles gone full rainbow puke as shoving as much hardware into the smallest box with zero care to insides is ancient history. So without further to do here is the list:

Ryzen 9 3950X 16 cores 4.7ghz
32gb (2x16gh) Vengeance RGB PRO 3600mhz
AsRock X570 Taichi
FireCuda 520 M.2 Gen 4 2tb (OSD, will get some more m.2s later)
Gigabyte GTX 1080ti Gaming OC 11gb white (beggers can't be choosers on 3 year old brand new cards. Will upgrade later to 30 or 40 series is something special. *cough* 2080ti is extortion for tiny percent in benchmarks *cough*. Will get a black plastic cover for it ASAP)
Toshiba X300 4tb 128mb cache 7200rpm (will add a few more probably bigger ones later)
Corsairs HX1000i 1000w Platnium PSU
Phanteks P500A (Air) Black (will get 2x UV led DRGB strips when I get more budget)

Cooling Loop
Ek Supremacy Classic AMD RGB (later realised my mistake, will get better DRGB one when I get more budget)
Thermal Grizzly Hydronaut paste
Ek Quantum Kinetic DRGB 300 D5 Pump Reservoir
Ek Coolstream PE 360 radiator (push pull front mounted) 6x Ek Vardar EVO DRGB 120ER
Ek Coolstream PE 360 radiator (push top mounted) 3x Ek Vardar EVO DRGB 120ER
Ek Quantum Flow Indicator DRGB
Ek Vardar EVO DRGB 140ER (pull rear exhaust)
Ek Loop Connect (going to invest some time in the software as my Windows XP was super clean after some tweeks hehehe)
2x Ek Ball Valve tapes Black (one highest mounted and other off pump/bottom rad depending how I mount front radiator at lowest point)
EK PETG 12mm tubes
EK Classic Black 12mm fittings (other bs not important fittings like extenders etc to make it work as I packed out the case all EK and black)
Ek Cloudy CryoFuel Premix
XSPC UV Purple dye

When I upgrade to a new card I will add GPU into the loop plus get a backplate for it.

Couple cosmetics for later:
Plated cable sleeves for annoying mustard wires (lucky I need those USBs and power button )
Purple and Black High performance cables (swap out all the PSU standard black ones)

Built for Rendering, Compiling, Encoding, Gaming, General PC Life and keeping out the GFs hair

So after the essay, what's peoples opinions? Good build or not plus why? FutureProof for the next 3 to 5 years? (after all upgrades)

Last edited:
Soldato
@Marky Mark

Prob would grab B550 Master for cheaper and stronger VRM then X570 Taichi .

Still run 3x Gen 4 m.2 but GPU gets reduced to x8 speed. One advantage of x570 over b550 in that regards .

Also look at Sabrent rocket Gen 3/4 NVMes... Cheaper !

Associate
OP
@Marky Mark

Prob would grab B550 Master for cheaper and stronger VRM then X570 Taichi .

Still run 3x Gen 4 m.2 but GPU gets reduced to x8 speed. One advantage of x570 over b550 in that regards .

Also look at Sabrent rocket Gen 3/4 NVMes... Cheaper !

Funnily enough I was 50/50 between x570 Taichi aswell as the x570 Master. I got the Taichi after studying OC Ram as I can get to 3800mhz just off xmp settings off a standard kit. I got the AMD Optimised/AMD Tuned Ram kit so might get to hit that 4000/4200mhz (unsupported by Master) without losing too much timings or having a day or two of constant restarts. I wanted to avoid the B550s due to getting a Nvida 30 ti or 40 ti series later on.

As the Taichi runs hot I went for a max airflow case as well as fans on both sides of my front mounted radiator pulling as much air in as possible even through the 40mm of fins. With the exhaust fan and top mounted radiator also exhausting hot air through the top I'm hoping it will cool the board down to help the m.2 ssd to compensate somewhat for the poorer vrm.

I'm going to get a couple of those at a later date. I really like them especially with the copper heat spreading sticker! (saves me taking it off XD). I ended up getting the FireCuda brand new still sealed for £312 at an Asset Liquidation Auction as well as the brand new still sealed 1080ti for £481 including postage and fees. Corona must have killed off a pc store/storage/warehouse business.

I'm currently only waiting on a replacement radiator as first 1 had a leak and when flushing it for 8h I found out. They was slow in doing a replacement so had to wait all week so should be coming tomorrow/Monday so I can finish it and get some pics up.

Soldato
I run 4000hz on x470 Master and 2700x :) latest bios took hit to 3777hz with latest bios which was a shame .
ITX boards allow 5000hz with APU or next gen Zen... Insane PCB layerings and Mem design. Think Gigabytes A520 hit 4800hz plug and play with incoming APU . Next gen Zen and x670 should hit some nice ram speeds !!! Expecting 12 layer PCB to be reached

Associate
OP
I run 4000hz on x470 Master and 2700x :) latest bios took hit to 3777hz with latest bios which was a shame .
ITX boards allow 5000hz with APU or next gen Zen... Insane PCB layerings and Mem design. Think Gigabytes A520 hit 4800hz plug and play with incoming APU . Next gen Zen and x670 should hit some nice ram speeds !!! Expecting 12 layer PCB to be reached

Shame to hear on your update, damned company's dumbing down hardware!

Nice to know just how far computers have really come. It just keeps getting better every year! Next Gen sounds amazing! Can't wait for that. Certainly won't be jumping straight onto it tho. Going to get some age and use out of this 3950x. It will be the most cores I've had tbh. I used to be a strictly Intel/Nvida man due to *cough* poor man's nightmare *cough* AMD compatibility especially when not using AMD graphics cards or sli on them on. All the poor Intel old tech clones XD. I'm really happy to see just how far AMD have came and love the fact they are still good on the price point with their own tech.

New to the ram overclocks but been studying up on it. Very interesting tbh. Overclocked many a CPU and GPU tho especially when it was the storage cupboard set up with the air conditioner and dehumidifier keeping my fan cooled set up from going nuclear hahaha. Miss that old flat. Pretty sure I'm getting corner of the room with mini desk here tho -_-'

Associate
If I was in your shoes, I would wait for the Ryzen 4000 series and the upcoming RTX 3000 cards, particularly if they offer meaningful performance benefits.

Associate
OP
If I was in your shoes, I would wait for the Ryzen 4000 series and the upcoming RTX 3000 cards, particularly if they offer meaningful performance benefits.

Very true but I've needed to get online for work. Been offered some work helping develope a new app, a friend wants me to go 50/50 with him on Unity game build plus my ps4 is on its last legs and I'm sick and tired of all the bluescreen and system crashes mid-multiplayer games tbh. As usual for my life opportunities just come at the worst time =/

Associate
Very true but I've needed to get online for work. Been offered some work helping develope a new app, a friend wants me to go 50/50 with him on Unity game build plus my ps4 is on its last legs and I'm sick and tired of all the bluescreen and system crashes mid-multiplayer games tbh. As usual for my life opportunities just come at the worst time =/
Fair enough. I guess you could buy now, and then decide later if upgrading is worth the hassle. The CPU you've listed is powerful so likely to last you a long time.

Soldato
To be honest, not so much vendors at fault with CPU /bios updates. Microcode changes from AMD aren't really disclosed to vendors and it's only after they've released their bios version for their boards, general public able to bug find . AMD changes one thing and it leads to multiple changes for the Vendor :(

Associate
OP
Fair enough. I guess you could buy now, and then decide later if upgrading is worth the hassle. The CPU you've listed is powerful so likely to last you a long time.

Yeah I went for top end to get longevity. Plus will really help for Rendering having all the extra cores.

I will be definetly looking at the new 30 series of GPU for sure. Didn't want to get to get a 20 series just to upgrade it in a matter of months. The 1080ti is a beast of a card so even if I end up keeping it over a 30 series it should do me til the 40 series is out in terms of games. The only downside is the raytracing but atm its really not much of a thing yet from what I've read.

Associate
OP
To be honest, not so much vendors at fault with CPU /bios updates. Microcode changes from AMD aren't really disclosed to vendors and it's only after they've released their bios version for their boards, general public able to bug find . AMD changes one thing and it leads to multiple changes for the Vendor :(

Ah I see some things never change then. Seems like its the users doing all the testing newer days over internal testing of products. No wonder there are flops like the Ek Loop Connect software, etc becoming more common place and not just in the major hardware companies.

Back
Top Bottom