1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Dismiss Notice

is my cpuu giving up the ghost?

Discussion in 'CPUs' started by icysniper, 6 Mar 2010.

1. icysniper

Hitman

I have a very old Dell Latitude D610, with a Pentium M 750 processor, it should run at 1866 MHz, however when I opened CPU-Z, it shows it running at 798 MHz??? There are no power saving things active, opened iTunes, firefox and sibelius at the same time to see if it would go back upto 1866 MHz but it hasnt. So, has is my cpu finally giving up??

Thanks, icy

2. RJC

Don

Try running something like prime and check windows power options in control panel.

3. icysniper

Hitman

checked windows power options and their set at maximum performance, and running prime, no change still running at 798 Mhz

4. icysniper

Hitman

here's a screen shot of CPU-Z if it means anything to anyone

[​IMG]

5. cmndr_andi

Capodecina

This sounds like Intel Speedstep - a technology which is employed on Intel Pentium M CPUs. If you look here, that CPU uses a 133MHz bus speed (yours is correctly running at this speed), and a 14x multiplier (yours is only at 6x). Concidering that "Intel Speedstep" reduces CPU multiplier to save power, then this is almost certainly what is going on.

Opening up itunes, firefox and sibelius really isn't much of a CPU stress test, more of a RAM/HDD test. So I wouldn't worry too much if these actions don't cause the CPU multiplier to increase.

As RJC suggests, you should try running a stress tester to check that it does kick the speed up to 1.86Ghz. OCCT is a nice, early-to-use program that incorporates a prime 95 stress tester.

Last edited: 6 Mar 2010
  6. icysniper

Hitman

been running Prime95 for just over 50 minutes now and it is still running at 798 MHz as it sounds like Intel Speedstep is to blame, is there anyway of making it change it back to 1866MHz??

7. icysniper

Hitman

been running Prime95 for around 16 hours now straight, and the CPU is still running at 798 MHz????? how can I get it back to 1866 MHz?

8. neblemak

Associate

Have a fiddle in power options. Seem to remember there's an option called 'max cpu state' or similar...

9. icysniper

Hitman

yeh had a look in there and its set to 'maximum performance' and still running at 798 MHz :confused:

10. RJC

Don

Defiantly a strange one, are there any option in the BIOS to do a restore setting / load default values.
    Are you running on mains or battery.

11. Corasik

Soldato

Could be that dell hold the cpu multi down to conserve battery life when running on the battery.

12. reflux

Capodecina

SpeedStep should, naturally run the CPU at 800mhz. If the computer is plugged in and under stress testing, the speed should rise to full. Since this appears not to be happening, there's obviously something going on - had a gander in the bios? tried another OS install?

13. Jokester

Don

What's your temps like when running Prime?

14. Gundog48

Wise Guy

Great to see people still have these old systems! Anyway, surely you can just change the multiplier manually in the BIOS?

15. CAT-THE-FIFTH

Capodecina

RM Clock or Notebook Hardware Control will enable you to change the multiplier under Windows if it is not possible in the BIOS.

16. Coxyis

Hitman

Not usually on a laptop, I wouldn't think so anyway.

Dell probably have that kind of thing locked?

17. icysniper

Hitman

i'm locked out as its a dell :( and plugged into mains power and using prime, temps were a max of 59 degrees C

18. Frozennova

Man of Honour

Try stripping it and cleaning the fans it may be thermally throttling, if you download rmclock it will tell you in the one of the tabs if any throttling is active

19. icysniper

Hitman

downloaded rmclock and it is very useful, I have seen the clock speed return to 1866 MHz which is good :D and now it returns to 798 MHz when idling. Just ran Prime95 and the clock speed still sits at 798 MHz :confused: however when running the IntelBurnTest the clock speed shoots back up to 1866 MHz :D which is a good sign but still don't understand the clock speed for the Prime95 test :confused: