Is my dell TFT dead?

Associate
The dell tft I've had for about 2 years now comes on normally for about a second now when I turn it on and then goes blank.

It will keep coming on for the same amount of time if i turn it off and on again - just wondered if anyone knew what the cause of this could be and if its fixable? I don't have any warranty left on it.

Cheers

Dave

Associate
So do you get an image on the monitor for the few seconds, and then it turns off completely? Or does it go into standby after no image appears? If it is the latter than it could be the input not sending an input to the monitor, possibly a loose connection. :confused:

Associate
OP
i can see the desktop fine for a second or so, and then it goes blank. the power light stays on green though whereas it would go orange if it was on standby.

The actual screen quality is fine for the second that its on, am I right in guessing its something to do with the cathode being broken?? Can this be fixed?

Cheers

Associate
Try the self test (power it on with the signal cable unplugged from the monitor end), if it does the same, then it's screwed. If the self test stays on then it may be something else (although could still be a monitor fault).

From what you're describing, it sounds as if it's staying on long enough to see the windows desktop for a few seconds which sounds a bit weird. Normally a monitor fault will manifest itself much soon in the boot process.

Make sure that it's not the system that's causing it (when you lose display press the caps lock key, if it doesn't respond then you're looking at a system/software fault).

Try it in safe mode, if that's successful, I'd maybe try changing settings or uninstalling drivers.

Back
Top Bottom