Is my flatmate being an awkward goit?

Caporegime
PaulStat said:
Not to mention the fact that all the bills bar the water have to date been estimates, so it doesn't actually effect the amount at all.

imo any extra really is minimal and certainly doesn't add up to a whole extra person.

But she is there, he said contribute didn't he? Not paying the full 100% person's share. Is that not reasonable?

Soldato
OP
Raymond Lin said:
Plus you did say you mention to tell him and wanted it on the day.

I don't think it's unreasonable of me to ask for money that is effectively mine.

I did word it in such a fashion as to say on the day would be preferable if at all possible.

And who do you wanna sleep with? Me or my housemate? I warn you I snore loudly ;)

Soldato
With our house we all get on fine and everything goes through my bank account (seperate account to my personal one) and everyone knows what goes where, what time etc..

So there are no money issues - that being said we are all quite close and i personally wouldnt expect my mates girlfriend to pay even if she was ehre for 5 nights - but i wouldnt say no to a contribution - its a bit dif for us as we have fixed bills though. Still it wouldnt bother me if she wasnt to pay, as long as she respect my house.

/edit

How much has he requested she pay?

Caporegime
PaulStat said:
I don't think it's unreasonable of me to ask for money that is effectively mine.

I did word it in such a fashion as to say on the day would be preferable if at all possible.

And who do you wanna sleep with? Me or my housemate? I warn you I snore loudly ;)

It is reasonable for you to ask for money, but it is also reasonable to give notice, you did mention you want it on the day. Did he say he won't pay you at all?

Soldato
OP
Raymond Lin said:
But she is there, he said contribute didn't he? Not paying the full 100% person's share. Is that not reasonable?

That's not the point, I've already agreed that she should pay some. But not a third.

Or perhaps unit by unit? It's impossible to estimate how much more is going to be used, if any.

Soldato
OP
Raymond Lin said:
It is reasonable for you to ask for money, but it is also reasonable to give notice, you did mention you want it on the day. Did he say he won't pay you at all?

Nope he didn't, but he has been late with payment before. A whole month late in fact, despite being continuously reminded.

McDaniel said:
/edit

How much has he requested she pay?

He didn't, seeing as there are only 4 weeks left in the place I said she could pay a third of the remaining bills that come in which are electricity and water.

I realise there's a bit of contradiction here, but as said before to keep the peace I offered the above.

Last edited:
Caporegime
PaulStat said:
Nope he didn't, but he has been late with payment before. A whole month late in fact, despite being continuously reminded.

Then don't pay until you get the money, let the reminder come, then there is the final reminder, and then the disconnection letter.

PaulStat said:
That's not the point, I've already agreed that she should pay some. But not a third.

So we agree then...

Soldato
4 to 5 nights..... it isnt the extra water that would bother me its the extra leccy that the shower probably uses. women showers are probably equal to about 4 man showers -> wtf do they do in there?!
Anywho.... I'd probably do the same as him.... little sly jab but cough up the money regardless.

Associate
He's being a tiny bit awkward.

I don't think she should have to pay anything towards the bills really if all she's using extra is the shower. I mean, if any of your other flatmates had a girlfriend/boyfriend round they would get the same treatment.

As for the bills if they are addressed to you then he shouldn't open them. You should probably show them to him as it would take all of 2 minutes to do so :)

Suspended
Malc said:
He's being a tiny bit awkward.

I don't think she should have to pay anything towards the bills really if all she's using extra is the shower. I mean, if any of your other flatmates had a girlfriend/boyfriend round they would get the same treatment.

As for the bills if they are addressed to you then he shouldn't open them. You should probably show them to him as it would take all of 2 minutes to do so :)

Upto 5 nights a week is basically living there, so she should pay or the OP should put in a few quid. Would he like it if several mates stay there 5 nights a week? Basically she's sponging, and expects others to pay for it.

Soldato
I think 4 or 5 days is a bit of a mickey take. Might as well start paying a fair share of rent if you're going to be staying there that often.

Bes

Bes

Soldato
McDaniel said:
i dunno my ex would be in the shower about 10min - i take about take 15 on a good day norm a good 30 tho

Half an hour man?!!! What the hell are you doing in there, having a monster **** or something?!

Soldato
PaulStat said:
Does anyone else think he's being an awkward git?

Well there people who would find any reason to pay less or not at all, cheap ****s are everywhere :D

I would wait till he is back, however, before asking for the money, rather than txting him about it. Also your girl seems to be spending a lot of time there, but again it's a bit low for him to ask you for her share.

If things go really bad you can simply cancel the standing order or direct debit with the companies, but I would talk to the landlord before going that far.

Associate
Malc said:
I mean, if any of your other flatmates had a girlfriend/boyfriend round they would get the same treatment.

If you stay round your gf's as much as she stays round yours, then thats fine, it'll all even out.

its just when one spends all their time at the other ones place, it can start to grate a little and isnt very fair to the other housemates. Rent contributions and bills can seem a little skewed. "we're paying for you to live here are we?" great.

One of my current housemates does this! can get very annoying

But then i hate most of my housemates with a passion...

Associate
PaulStat said:
I got the response "Hi, yes I can. But in future I would like more notice and would also like to see a copy of all the bills. Also is your girlfriend going to be contributing to the bills?"
It's not unreasonable to give the guy a week or two to pay the bill, after all the service providers don't demand instant payments. Instead of giving him a copy of bills, leave them somewhere he can inspect them.

PaulStat said:
Also my GF is round here probably 4 or 5 nights a week, the only resource that gets used more to any significant amount is the water (Extra shower in the morning). If she wasn't here, I would still be using the gas hob, still be watching the TV and still be using the computer just as much.

So I say this to him and he doesn't agree.
When I was in Dublin I went home most weekend, and I worked during the day. I couldn't have been living in the house for more than 4/5 nights each week - yet I had to contribute fully towards rent and bills. How unfair!

Seriously, your girlfriend practically lives there and as she's benefitting from hot water, central heating, TV and computer of course she should make a contribution towards the bills - if not the rent!!!

Man of Honour
ballistic said:
Tell him he could slam your girlfriend if he just pays the bills, and when he does pay the bills make it look like he made it up and is so sick that you and the other flatmates decide to kick him out of the house. Enjoy :D

LMAO :D Gotta love the word slam :p

Back
Top Bottom