Is my flatmate being an awkward goit?

Associate
My girlfriend stays over a lot, she lives just round the corner and tends to sleep here a lot. Depending on what we're both doing, is probably up to 5 nights a week (I have double bed she has single at hers).

There are 3 of us in this house, we share the bill equally. I doubt my girlfriend uses much much gas/electric. She has a shower and will have dinner with me etc, using a bit of gas. But no way would I or my housemates expect her to pay a share of any bills.

More electric is probably used by 1 housemate leaving lights on etc.

I do think he is being slightly awkward for the sake of it. Paying on the day isn't always good, but he should have the money available as surely he knows he owed money for bills. Seeing a copy of the bill is nice, although in my eyes, if people don't take any notice of bills and such then its their own fault and can't complain if I forget to show them.

A lot is left up to me in this house, sorting the bills etc. I was owed a lot of money for some bills for quite some time. Which I have finally recieved. So I know how you feel and why it is extremely irritating when somebody makes a comment like that after doing sweet FA

Associate
noginn said:
There are 3 of us in this house, we share the bill equally. I doubt my girlfriend uses much much gas/electric. She has a shower and will have dinner with me etc, using a bit of gas. But no way would I or my housemates expect her to pay a share of any bills.
That just happens to be the way things work in your house.

Having said that, it is not unreasonable to agree a policy on guests with other housemates. I think if some one is staying regularly for more than one or two nights a week (particularly if it is convenient for them as they go to direct to work/college the next day after having showered and eaten) they stop being guests and start being another housemate.

Soldato
Havent read the thread, but basically yes and no. You're mate could have been alittle more diplomatic BUT:
No-one likes to be hit with a late bill, you couls have told him earlier.
If the Mrs is round 5 nights a week then yes, she is consuming leccy/gas etc, no question of that.

Sorted.

Soldato
In my flat we just have a lever-arch folder with everything with the flat in, tenancy agreements, insurance, utilities, council tax etc.

Regarding the girlfriend, for a start don't bother thinking about it until the guy gets back from hols, it's something you need to sit down and have a chat about after all, get his perspective and you give yours and come to an agreement. It does seem a bit unfair if your g/f is around 5 nights a week that she doesn't contribute, if not on financial grounds then on moral grounds. It could also technically be breaking your tenancy agreement as well as most landlords would deem that as another person living there without their agreement which is usually covered in the agreement.

Don't know how much the bills are, but I'd say if they were £50 a month then ask her to throw a tenner towards it a month, or to avoid any arguments with the g/f just up your share by a tenner and take it on the chin to ensure domestic bliss.

I also wouldn't be too worried about him asking for notice, it's probably because he's budgeted a certain amount for his hols and if he's out of the country (for example) it's going to be a pain to transfer the money over etc. Personally unless I was desperate I would have waited until he got back before asking for the money, or said 'hello mate, sorry I forgot to mention this but need £x for the bills, can wait till you get back though, hope your having good time'.

Just my 2 cents :)

beh

beh

Associate
Your gf should make a small contribution as a token gesture. Negotiate with her and your flatmate as to how small.

Its not unreasonable to ask for some advance warning of payment for bills to allow him to sort his finances. Agree a deadline with him on receipt of bills, no reason he can't see them then. Stick em on the fridge as a reminder.

Back
Top Bottom