Is my new card a dud

Associate
i7 8700k @4.7 ghz
Gigabyte z370 Aorus Ultra Gaming
Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4 PC4-21300C16 2666MHz
Samsung 250GB 850 EVO SSD
Seasonic Focus Plus 750W 80 Plus Gold Modular Power Supply
Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2080 Gaming OC

I installed the above graphics card when I got it on the 20th and have been trying to troubleshoot a weird issue since.

The PC will boot and go through the usual process till it gets to the windows loading screen. After windows is finished loading instead of getting the usual log in screen I'll get a black screen with a signal still going to the monitor but my keyboard and mouse lose power. The only way I can seemingly get away from this is by doing a reboot.

I've done a fresh install of W10 with the same issue coming up. I can occasionally get into W10 by going via safe mode or alternatively if I leave the PC running with this black screen then reboot after a while the PC acts as normal. Can reboot once logged and and no issues after the reboot.

The PSU is newer than the card as I bought a new one assuming it was my old PSU that was causing the issue but still getting the same thing occur. Tried on board graphics and I log in just fine, same with my old GTX970. I've reseated the RAM to try to eliminate that out of the equation.

I'm all out of ideas other than replacing the GFX card.

Soldato
I would put your old card back in or try borrow a card if alls well then I would say the issue is with new gpu
He's already said he's done that. ;)

One other thing you could try is to power the GPU from two different cables coming from the PSU not using just one. (unless that's the way you have it setup already)

Associate
OP
Well now the 970 doesn't appear to be working either. I can get into Windows fine but then I'll get a random black screen followed by the sound of a USB device being connected or disconnected. The black screen is also triggered if I run the Userbenchmark.exe (when it gets to the bit where it tests the GPU). So now I'm thinking maybe the pci-e slot has developed a fault.

Associate
Do you know someone who could test the gpu in their system?

Could is possibly be a psu fault? I know your psu is pretty high spec but it could still be faulty?

Associate
OP
Going to see if a local computer shop will do me a favour and throw it into their system to check it (all my mates are console gamers so no luck there). PSU really shouldn't be the issue as it's only a week old and bought since I had the trouble with the 2080. Should be ok putting the gpu in another pci-e? afaik just doesn't perform as well?

Associate
Going to see if a local computer shop will do me a favour and throw it into their system to check it (all my mates are console gamers so no luck there). PSU really shouldn't be the issue as it's only a week old and bought since I had the trouble with the 2080. Should be ok putting the gpu in another pci-e? afaik just doesn't perform as well?

Ye but they may not be using the same windows version as u...try older drivers..or windows insider builds e.c.t

If u in london...u can try it on my pc... btw i need a psu... what u planning to do with your old one? How many watts is it?

Associate
OP
Currently on F8. I've stripped down my pc again and reseated everything I can now get into windows without any graphics drivers installed for the 2080. As soon as I install the drivers for the card I get a black screen, if I reboot I get a black screen unless I go into safe mode.

Soldato
Currently on F8. I've stripped down my pc again and reseated everything I can now get into windows without any graphics drivers installed for the 2080. As soon as I install the drivers for the card I get a black screen, if I reboot I get a black screen unless I go into safe mode.

might be worth F10 and what Windows build are you on ? latest is 1803

Associate
OP
I hadn't seen that F10 was released. All installed and everything appears to be fine atm.
Strangely it worked on 1803 before the October update with F8, then I've gone back to 1803 and it's stopped working.
Thanks for the help gents, hopefully this it solved.

Associate
Did you get the bottom of this issue at all? I'm having a similar issue where I'm getting a black screen at random moments for 1-2 seconds at a time. Mainly when the computer is under load, like a game for example. Although I did run the heaven benchmark and didn't get the issue at all.

Back
Top Bottom