1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is plastic bottles manufacturing safe for human health?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by 4K8KW10, 5 Oct 2017.

1. 4K8KW10

Sgarrista

Hi guys!

I'm asking you about one specific manufacturing, the one of plastic bottles.
    This is what I've found via Google:

https://www.thomasnet.com/articles/materials-handling/plastic-bottle-manufacturing

Is a workshop/industrial unit for plastic bottles toxic?
    If people work there, will they get cancer or other types of diseases?

2. Bug One

Capodecina

My dad worked in an company doing injection molding for a decade. Doesn't have cancer. People have very little direct contact with the process - although there are obviously fumes. It's been going long enough for studies to be able to link it to any specific health concerns.

I am a bit confused by what you've highlighted though. Are you assuming that they're 'blown' - as in a guy blows it with his mouth? :confused:

3. 4K8KW10

Sgarrista

I highlighted it because I know that heat + plastic = dangerous combination. We are advised not to leave bottles with mineral water under sunlight or in our cars, because the plastic releases substances under these conditions.

If a person is a quality inspector, taking the aforementioned parisons for quality control, he might have quite a close direct contact with the process.

4. Avenged7Fold

Capodecina

Does your job involve drinking or ingesting copious amounts of liquid/food that may have contain chemicals leaked from these plastics?

If the answer is no, then you are no more at risk than someone who doesnt work there.

5. d_brennen

Capodecina

People have potentially hazardous jobs shocker.

6. =XDC=FluphyBunny

Mobster

Oh, Asim18 .... oh wait.

7. Avenged7Fold

Capodecina

The paranoia is there but not enough conspiracy

8. adolf hamster

Soldato

this kind of process is likely to be almost entirely automated, i doubt workers are going to even see the bottles before they arrive at the packaging stage.

its certainly going to be no more hazardous than any other level of mass production- cars for instance with people gluing in things like windscreens on a rolling production line.

9. aardvark

Sgarrista

nope - polyester bottles are very safe.
    even leaving them in sunlight will be fine (unless you leave them for say 10 years and then drink from them).

10. Andy90

Wise Guy

It would be hazardous to health like any industrial process if you sat there and breathed in fumes, but these plants have massive extraction/filtration systems to remove fumes before expelling any air.

If people work there will they get Cancer and other types of disease. Why yes they will, like everyone will get Cancer and other types of diseases quite normally as part of living. That said my Father is 80 years old next May. He worked as a 'fitter' at Metal Box (odd name for a plastics company but they started making cans). It produced millions of plastic bottles and containers, for the likes of Unilever. He has good eyesight, hearing, his lungs are healthy, he has (touch wood) never had a heart attack and suffers from no medical illnesses.

It is quite amazing watching the process take place and as someone has already said, most of the systems are fully automated.

11. Bug One

Capodecina

At a guess, the quality inspections don't involve licking the bottles while they're still hot. :p

Last edited: 5 Oct 2017
  12. Mynight

Soldato

Meh the bottles are nothing compared to the dihydrogen monoxide they contain. That kills more people everyday than hot plastic fumes do in a year. Don't see you up in arms about that...

13. Freddie1980

Soldato

Most of us will probably get cancer or some other type of disease at some point in our lifes but as a direct consequence of making plastic bottles highly unlikely.

That's not to say plastic bottles don't have health risks attached to them, plasticised poisoning is an everyday hazard. Our local farm shop keeps large creates full bottles of fizzy drinks outside, the bottles are exposed to sunlight all day which breaks down the bottle into microscopic particles of plastic which enter the fluid which in turn get ingested when someone drinks it. Needless to say I never touch the stuff based Purley on how it's stored.

14. EVH

Don

That stuff is lethal! :eek:

;)

15. adolf hamster

Soldato

Shhh! Dont go telling folk about dhmo, seriously dude you'll start a panic

16. Efour

Caporegime

It's so dangerous I'm amazed they allow it into people's homes.

17. Avenged7Fold

Capodecina

Yup, just one oxygen molecule away from old school hair bleaching chemical and far deadlier if the stats are anything to go by.