• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Is selling a CPU 2nd hand feasible?

Soldato
Start posting in the football, CPU, Graphics and GD forums, you'll be at 1000 posts in no time.

I remember feeling it will take an age, and when I was approaching 1k it seemed to take forever, now I am over 5k and it doesnt feel its been that long since I got 1k, its crazy.

G J

G J

Associate
Yes spam the forums to get into the MM to sell a cpu that you'll get offers of 50p and a bag of haribo. :D

Associate
That's the ticket, start talking to yourself and your post count will soon go up! :p
It seemed like the joke to make!

Yes spam the forums to get into the MM to sell a cpu that you'll get offers of 50p and a bag of haribo. :D
Mmmmmm....haribo... It's lost it's attraction now the children demand it whenever i have it. And they know you can buy it by the bucket.

Last edited by a moderator:
Associate
eBay isn't what it used to be - The world's largest car boot sale.

But personally, I would still buy a CPU from a private seller, and as long as it arrived well-packaged and protected, I don't see the issue.

Just be fully honest in your listing details.

I sell a lot of hardware and camera gear through there. Pack it well (ideally in whatever the replacement arrived in) and make sure your listing says you accept returns (they can return it anyway for just about any reason).

Soldato
You have the buyers name and address. It's not hard to get the old bill involved if need be for fraud.

If enough people reported the same person chances are a visit would soon make them change their mind.
Why bother putting your self in that situation if you've got nothing better to do with your time than chasing fraudsters well done but my time is very limited at moment

Caporegime
Why bother putting your self in that situation if you've got nothing better to do with your time than chasing fraudsters well done but my time is very limited at moment

I normally look through every buyers feedback including the positive notes because you can only leave positive feedback for buyers which is retarded.

Imagine having a feedback system where one side cannot give negative feedback?

I have sold over £20k worth of stuff on eBay this year. Gym gear during April went up a ton and I had like £5k worth of gear in my garage. So I sold it for £15k or thereabouts. I can re buy in a couple of years. I kept some items which were impossible to post and not enough interest locally because all my gear was high end commercial stuff.

Never got scammed by anyone and the only issue I had was an idiot who never read the advert won the auction then messaged to say I didn't realise it was a single item I wanted 2. Even though there is only 1 in the picture.

So I had to re-list. But I left them an unpaid item negative eBay mark so if they do that often hopefully something happens.

I also had an idiot last year who won something which was collection only and then asked how much for postage. I ended up teaching him a lesson. He had to get someone to collect it with zero packaging. I refused to put it in a box because it was a set of 5.1 speakers that were really heavy and there was no way I could package fragile heavy things and guarantee their safety. so he had to drive from 300 miles away to collect it as no courier will collect unpackaged goods. It said collection only in the title. It also said it in the description and I said clearly don't bother asking for postage I cannot post.

Yeah plenty of idiots out there but I've never been scammed on eBay because I know how most scams work and the tell tale signs are so easy to spot.

Soldato
I normally look through every buyers feedback including the positive notes because you can only leave positive feedback for buyers which is retarded.

Imagine having a feedback system where one side cannot give negative feedback?

I have sold over £20k worth of stuff on eBay this year. Gym gear during April went up a ton and I had like £5k worth of gear in my garage. So I sold it for £15k or thereabouts. I can re buy in a couple of years. I kept some items which were impossible to post and not enough interest locally because all my gear was high end commercial stuff.

Never got scammed by anyone and the only issue I had was an idiot who never read the advert won the auction then messaged to say I didn't realise it was a single item I wanted 2. Even though there is only 1 in the picture.

So I had to re-list. But I left them an unpaid item negative eBay mark so if they do that often hopefully something happens.

I also had an idiot last year who won something which was collection only and then asked how much for postage. I ended up teaching him a lesson. He had to get someone to collect it with zero packaging. I refused to put it in a box because it was a set of 5.1 speakers that were really heavy and there was no way I could package fragile heavy things and guarantee their safety. so he had to drive from 300 miles away to collect it as no courier will collect unpackaged goods. It said collection only in the title. It also said it in the description and I said clearly don't bother asking for postage I cannot post.

Yeah plenty of idiots out there but I've never been scammed on eBay because I know how most scams work and the tell tale signs are so easy to spot.
I used to use it years ago but now I can't be bothered with the hassle of it to be honest if it's pc I sell here tv or HiFi I us av forums

Associate
Mmmmmm....haribo... It's lost it's attraction now the children demand it whenever i have it. And they know you can buy it by the bucket.
I only buy Haribo via hardware purchases. Keeps it special :p

The return on time invested will work out at pennies an hour!

I remember feeling it will take an age, and when I was approaching 1k it seemed to take forever, now I am over 5k and it doesnt feel its been that long since I got 1k, its crazy.
Is that like getting older in forum years? It just goes faster and faster? :eek:

Last edited by a moderator:
Associate
Yep that's what I meant, I should have typed it as:

Is that like time going faster as you get older, but for forum post count?
As far as it can tell, the only time life slows down is during the last third of pregnancy, during which it slows to a crawl. Or possibly a waddle.

Soldato
For me, what, some foam packing and a Jiffy bag? If I were a consumer buying a 2nd hand CPU, I wouldn’t accept that level of service but unless I am missing something, there isn’t anything else I could think to do.
How would you like to receive a used CPU? That's exactly how you should send one out to a buyer. I don't understand what you mean by there isn't anything else you can do. In worse case, get to somewhere like Staples and buy a small box and some bubble wrap or whatever.
I always keep old packaging. Most things I sell, which isn't often, gets shipped using re-used boxes and foam, bubble wrap etc.

Soldato
How would you like to receive a used CPU? That's exactly how you should send one out to a buyer. I don't understand what you mean by there isn't anything else you can do. In worse case, get to somewhere like Staples and buy a small box and some bubble wrap or whatever.
I always keep old packaging. Most things I sell, which isn't often, gets shipped using re-used boxes and foam, bubble wrap etc.

Exactly this. I put all the old boxes in the loft. When time comes to sell, back in the box and then inside a slightly larger box with padding. I know they kick parcels around depots do best to insure against that.

Soldato
Biught and sold quite a few computer parts on ebay off orivate buyers. No problems
As said, take good pics, pack well and you’ll be fine

Sold all my old cpu's on eBay no issues but lately they've all gone into hand me downs

Thanks for all the advice

I like the idea of using the new cpu box to send to the buyer, and I don’t have a post count to use the MM, I only get involved on the forum, selfishly so, when I have the need to update my machines.

I've never sold any in boxes don't have them for the most part usually its the chip pushed into a square of anti-static foam inside a small box or even pieces of stiff cardboard wrapped in bubble wrap. No issues with them. I live in a flat I don't have a loft! Bought a previous chip on the MM and that wasn't boxed either nor would you get one if it was originally OEM.

Back
Top Bottom