Is the art of defending dead?

Soldato
Footballers on a whole are not the smartest in the book. Harry Kane seems really simple from that recent documentary. Footballers do what their manager tells them. That's why your Pirlo's, Scholes, Xavi are such a rare breed because they actually had brains.
I'm not sure you can equate footballing intelligence with how erudite somebody is. Rooney and Messi were / are both incredibly intelligent players, and they come across as cretins.

Soldato
Haven't read it, but I will now. Thanks.

"There have been an average of 3.79 goals per game - the highest in an English top flight since the 3.95 goals per game in 1930-31" - there has to be something going on, surely?

what's going on is VAR, crazy handball calls and the fact that if a defender even eyeballs a striker inthe box the wrong way he is likely going to get a red card. I am not saying we should go back to the old days of Vinnie Jones grabbing someone by the jacobs, but some of the rules in place now make it literally impossible for a defender to commit without running the risk of getting booked or sent off.

Back
Top Bottom