1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Dismiss Notice

Is the Phenom II x2 550 still the same stock?

Discussion in 'CPUs' started by dr4g0nf1y, 14 Mar 2010.

1. dr4g0nf1y

Wise Guy

I know it's not guaranteed but are the ones that are still in circulation locked chips?

is it worth buying one to play around with?

2. Uriel

Sgarrista

The original X2 550 was a black edition, which had an unlocked multiplier.

I've heard rumours about non-black edition X2 550s.

The 555 is a black edition and seems to clock slightly better than the 550, plus early batches seem to have a very good chance of unlocking success (if your motherboard allows it).

3. Shakeel

Mobster

Although some can be unlocked this does not mean the chip will be stable

4. Shakeel

Mobster

Although some can be unlocked this does not mean the chip will be stable

5. eddyc

Wise Guy

My personal experience has been that the 555s clock no better than the 550s (around 3.85 max at sensible vcore or maybe up to 4.0 if you are very lucky) but they do seem to have a better unlock chance.

6. dr4g0nf1y

Wise Guy

i just want to build a new family based computer so theres no heavy use for the machine so a dual core would be suitable. obviously they have more of apotential to unlock so i can have a play about with.

from what i understant locked cores are failed cpus that are locked and made stable to meet demand of lesser core based cpus at stock, so theres always a chance.

but it seems that some models have a greater chance to unlock than others

7. longqoo

Associate

I have just unclocked an 550 to quad, bought it from ocuk *thanks*. Seems fine atm, havent got my hand on overclocking it yet.

8. Skillmister

Capodecina

Good luck if you do go for one, having it unlocked is such a bonus for the price :D