Is the Scythe Mugen 5 rev.b CPU cooler too tall?

Associate
Hi All

I need some help deciding on whether or not I should buy the Scythe Mugen 5 Rev.B CPU Cooler for the new mATX case Silverstone Precision PS15 https://www.silverstonetek.com/product.php?pid=822

On the link above Silverstone mention that the CPU cooler must be a maximum height of 154 mm, however the Scythe Mugen 5 is 154.5 mm in height.

So the question is, will 0.5 mm make it too tall or do you think it will be OK?

I know 0.5 mm is nothing but just thought I'd ask the experts.

Or should I go for the Cryorig H7 with dual fans? *** competitor link removed ;) ***

I'm not sure which will be better.

Thanks, Guys

Last edited by a moderator:
Soldato
Tough questions to answer. If it was me I would probably get the Mugen 5 and make it fit. I'm guessing worst case would be adding a 0.5-1mm thick shim/seal between the glass side panel and case. ;)

Associate
OP
Hey doyll, thanks for your input. I just ordered this https://www.overclockers.co.uk/cryorig-h7-ultra-cpu-heatsink-with-black-120mm-fan-hs-012-cy.html

I should have stayed true to my big balls and ordered the Mugen and force it fit, but I think the H7 Ultra will serve me well especially as I'm not overclocking the CPU.

This is the trouble buying small cases, you have to deal with these compromises!

Hope the damn case will serve me well, it's a new case and quite cheap but that's not the main reason for buying, I ordered it for its size.

My current case is a Fractal Define Mini C which is a fantastic case, but I want to go even smaller.

Cheers

Associate
OP
Yes sorry I already bought the H7 Ultra which got delivered 10 minutes ago, awesome service by Overclockers.

My CPU is a 6th gen i5 which is currently being served well by the Coolermaster 212 Evo (I think that's the correct name) in my Define Mini C, but unfortunately it's too big for the new PS15 case I ordered, so hopefully the H7 should do just as well if not better.

I would have preferred the Mugen 5, just wish I was a big boy like doyll and took the risk but nevermind.

I'm a big boy in other areas so I keep telling myself lol.

Thank you nonetheless for taking the time to reply to my thread.

Cheers

Permabanned
My CPU is a 6th gen i5 which is currently being served well by the Coolermaster 212 Evo (I think that's the correct name) in my Define Mini C, but unfortunately it's too big for the new PS15 case I ordered, so hopefully the H7 should do just as well if not better.

the H7 is overkill for you need so it should serve you well as the 121 did.
what motherboard do you have? the none K 6th gen CPU's can be overclocked very easy on a z170 motherboard

Soldato
the H7 is overkill for you need so it should serve you well as the 121 did.
what motherboard do you have? the none K 6th gen CPU's can be overclocked very easy on a z170 motherboard
Above post only shows how little you know about these two coolers.
Cryorig H7 is not overkill. Crorig H7 is definitely a significant improvement over 212 and will serve Poundarse's needs much better than 212 ever could. Cyrorig H7 is simply a much better product than 212 is. Cryorig H7 is one of the very best coolers in is class, same class that 212 is in the bottom group of.

I suggest you google 'Cryorig H7 vs 212 review' and look at the mounting, looks, temp and noise level differences to see just how much better H7 really is.

Last edited:
Permabanned
Above post only shows how little you know about these two coolers.

i didnt say any was better than the other, i said there both overkill for his needs (stock speed i5)
i says the H7 will serve him well, just like his 212 did.

your trying so have to be right ant you? Why

Last edited:
Soldato
i didnt say any was better than the other, i said there both overkill for his needs (stock speed i5)
i says the H7 will serve him well, just like his 212 did.

your trying so have to be right ant you? Why
Not trying anything. I am right and you are posting about things you are not well enough informed about. |
Using H7 or 212 is not overkill at all. They are able to keep CPU cool without case airflow and CPU cooler fans being loud.
Just becausse you have an opinion does not make it a reality .. and to me your opinion is most likely not based on the use of these coolers or at least not enough to know they are about as small/low TDP cooling ability as give good cooling with low noise levels. Your opinion is obviously not shared by me and I'm pretty sure not by OP. For me stock coolers are too noisy when cooling at temps I want, pure and simple. Even 212 and H7 can be too loud for me if CPU is working at or near full load for any length of time. That is the reason many using hi-end computers use the bigger aftermarket coolers. Not because we need them to keep CPU below 65-75c but because we want system to be silent or near silent under heavy load at 65-75c. ;)

Associate
OP
Chaps at this rate you're both going to make me send back the H7 and buy a Mugen 5 killer whatever that happens to be

I hate pc fan noise which is why I have the i5 and an MSI 1050ti 4GB GPU with dual fans + a semi passive Seasonic Focus 450w PSU and all SSD's.

In general use my PC can't be heard unless I stop what I'm doing and really concentrate on it and even then it's just a smooth whooosh. The FD Mini C is one heck of a case with sound dampening foam and it allows me to use 3 X 120mm fan at the front spinning slowly at idle and just one rear 120mm exhaust. It was a quick build using old parts which is why I didn't spend too much time on it otherwise I would have got a new CPU and motherboard etc, but in hindsight I'm glad I didn't as I have not used the PC as much as I would have liked and it has more than served my needs from the little use I got form it.

I tend to use my laptop more which usually does the job for work etc.

I love PC parts, even a bloody cooler is enough to get me running home from the station as sad as that sounds.

Now thank you both for your input which I really appreciate, I'm just glad I chose the best cooler in its class, for me the Evo was faultless but then I'm running an i5 at stock speeds and barely pushing the damn thing.

Max, I will be upgrading the motherboard and CPU later this year for a fresh build and I can see myself re-using the H7 so it's all good.

Meanwhile there's something else playing on my mind. Should I have tried the FD Nano S case

Running home now to check out both the Silverstone PS15 case and the H7.

Looks like the wife and kid will have to go to the in-laws this weekend

Back
Top Bottom