Is the way vehicle registration works illogical?

Soldato
Prompted by another thread here about the chap's sister selling a car with the wrong plate on, I've been reminded of a thought i've often had over the years.

Surely allowing the 'key'(in the form of registration number) that ties the vehicle to the keeper, tax, insurance to be changed is a rather clunky system, would it not make sense instead to tie everything together with a VIN number, etc and thats what you use to tax, buy insurance etc. The registration number then being referenced to which vehicle it points to at any momment in time, so if you own a custom plate and buy a new car, you log into an online portal and point it to your new car, then you swap the plates over. Any car also retains its factory number plate also pointed to the ID, and if you wanted to you could display either, its one vehicle with two identifiers that point to the record.

The other thought.

You also hear of people that get into trouble because they ahve forgotten to change their car registration over to a new address, and thought changing driving license over is all thats required..... why should it not be all that is required. The company I work for last year moved premises, the finance department (who deal with the fleet insurance, tax of vehicles, et all) has to manually fill in change of details on getting on for 50 V5s. Surely it would make more sense (in terms of database normallisation) for there to be a registration for keepers of vehicles, which could be tied to to the driving licenses for individuals, but a record should be able to be created for other keepers who arnt private drivers, companies, mainly, but likely a few non-drivers as well (a collector of classic cars might not necessarily be a driver - unlikely but possible). Then if you move house, you change your driving license address, and your keeper record is updated, and voilia, or if a company move premises, they update one record instead of fifty.

So what have I missed? there must be a reason its not a more sensible system.

Soldato
They should just have the reg assigned to an address. Then all cars at that address use the same reg. Surely that would be much easier?

Soldato
Well that's a ridiculous idea.

3 cars at an address, similar colour. One is involved in an incident and only identifier given is the reg plate.

So which car with which driver was it?

You still have the same problem now with figuring out who the driver was.

Caporegime
Ah, the classic "I don't have a response" reply.

My response was actually going to be "why? Because I call you out on the incessant drivel you have a habit of posting?"

I can't be bothered though. I will however continue correcting your rubbish because you're constantly passing off your ideas and opinions as fact and misinforming people, which is wrong.

Soldato
My response was actually going to be "why? Because I call you out on the incessant drivel you have a habit of posting?"

I can't be bothered though. I will however continue correcting your rubbish because you're constantly passing off your ideas and opinions as fact and misinforming people, which is wrong.

I notice you didn't "correct" the statement that you are annoying...

Also I think there should be a comma after "however".

Back
Top Bottom