Is the xbox one x worth buying these days?

Soldato
So I used to have an xbox one S alongside a ps4, but I sold the xbox in favour of ps, but now I'm thinking of either swapping it for the ps4 pro or get another xbox then get a ps4 pro later.

I game on a 4k TV, so would be nice to display in that while gaming(ps4 doesn't upscale I think), but I won't be looking at new prices which is why I thought the X, but then I like the series S description.

Soldato
Series S with a Game Pass sub over the One X I think - though it is all digital so you'll have to consider if that's worth it to you (if you still buy physical). Series X is the best option for a 4K TV if you want to spend that much or can get hold of one.

Man of Honour
Definitely get the Series S over the One X.

I went from the OX to the SS and the greatly improved performance for frame rates and loading times made a huge difference. Then you also have the Series exclusive too.

Soldato
OP
Thanks for replies.

Well I don't own any physical copy of xbox games anymore and most were from the game pass anyways, so digital wouldn't be an issue. I still have my xbox live as I did once have it on pc, but experience isn't as good I think, so want another. xbox console especially with horizon 5 coming out.

I love my ps4 as its a gran turismo sport special edition slim, but ps gaming all together and kept it as I eventually want the VR, but i would wait till a ps4 pro before getting that I think.

I have experienced 4k upscale with the xbox 1S and would love to try native, but series X is too much for how little use it would get or least with the advanced games list I would actually benefit from which is why i was looking at used X1X, but I'll think I'll just go with the Series S(smaller too) as recommended then.

Man of Honour
Thanks for replies.

Well I don't own any physical copy of xbox games anymore and most were from the game pass anyways, so digital wouldn't be an issue. I still have my xbox live as I did once have it on pc, but experience isn't as good I think, so want another. xbox console especially with horizon 5 coming out.

I love my ps4 as its a gran turismo sport special edition slim, but ps gaming all together and kept it as I eventually want the VR, but i would wait till a ps4 pro before getting that I think.

I have experienced 4k upscale with the xbox 1S and would love to try native, but series X is too much for how little use it would get or least with the advanced games list I would actually benefit from which is why i was looking at used X1X, but I'll think I'll just go with the Series S(smaller too) as recommended then.

The frame rates are really low on the One X, which ruins any 4k benefits in the few games that have patches for it as the motion resolution is so low.

Soldato
Yeah it doesn't have One X enhancements but it has its own ones using the next gen hardware. Frame rate boost faster loading some have better textures.
It's not as simple as oh it can't do what the one X does. The Series S is more powerful than the One X.

My original post specifically states that One X will get the better enhanced graphics, because it does - known as Xbox One X Enhanced Mode.

I then state the Series S gets One S graphics mode, which it does.

I make no mention of frame rate.

Furthermore, I would say frame rate is irrelevant for some of the games.

Check out Battlefield 4 on the Series X at 120fps and tell me if you can honestly play it. Doesn’t matter how good the frame rate is if the game itself looks turd.

Soldato
My point being is the Series S is a great purchase and plays games better than the one X or one S.

Again, going back to my original post, I said that if you play older gen games, the Xbox One X gets the enhanced graphics, and the Series S does not.

I made no claim about which plays games better now. If I was playing anything from 2020 onwards, perhaps even 2019, I would be buying the Series S.

I was providing OP with additional information so they can make a more informed decision.

Soldato
I've had both and would say get the series s if you don't want to pay for a series x. It's true that some older games that had one x enhancements won't look as good on the series s but many have been updated with series s/x enhancements anyway and going forward all new games will look better and run faster on the series s.

Series X would obviously be the best route to go but it is a big jump in price.

Man of Honour
Check out Battlefield 4 on the Series X at 120fps and tell me if you can honestly play it. Doesn’t matter how good the frame rate is if the game itself looks turd.

30 FPS games look horrendous in motion even at 4K because the motion resolution is worse than the 1080p equivalents at high frame rates.

Soldato
30 FPS games look horrendous in motion even at 4K because the motion resolution is worse than the 1080p equivalents at high frame rates.

I take it you haven’t played Battlefield 4 on a series X :p

It is honestly so horrendous it gives me a headache.

Edit: oh and 30fps looks fine on an OLED because of pixel response times.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Edit: oh and 30fps looks fine on an OLED because of pixel response times.

OLED is actually far worse for lower frame rates precisely because of the fast response time and the rapid rate of decay of the pixels luminosity. It’s a well known and documented disadvantage of OLEDs!

You end up with pulsating (edit: aka juddering) images for any motion in scenes unless you make some compromises with refreshing the pixels frequently with interpolated images, which adds input lag to an already laggy 30 FPS output.

It looks like you’re one of the lucky few who don’t notice poor motion resolution, but for most people OLEDs suffer greatly from low frame rate sources.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom