Is there a way to play PC (upstairs) games on my TV (downstairs)?

Associate

What's the best value option for this (if it's even possible).

Deciding to get a new console or just stick to xbox game pass for PC and figure a way to play them on my TV basically.

Soldato

What's the best value option for this (if it's even possible).

Deciding to get a new console or just stick to xbox game pass for PC and figure a way to play them on my TV basically.

I tried steam link and wasn't happy with the results. Lag was noticeable and quality not on par with a local console. ymmv. I'd get a console and not worry about it.

Soldato
You can stream to another device from your PC with either Steam Remote Play or Parsec or some other streaming app. Otherwise run some cables if you can't move the PC?

Associate
I ran a long HDMI cable through the outside wall from one part of the house to another. I used cable with micro HDMI on one end so the hole didn’t need to be so big and then used a micro to standard adapter. Works great. If you've got the soldering chops (I do) and the patience (I don't) you could solder on an HDMI end to the cable cores, there're 19 I believe! This way the hole would be even smaller.

Soldato
As above, a direct HDMI cable wired all nice and neat would be the absolute best solution.

I couldn't be bothered doing this or getting a man in, and like an idiot have been on a massive journey with Nvidia Gamestream.

You need the right Nvidia GPU in your PC and an Nvidia Shield though (awesome kit for other stuff) and best results for me are a mix of using 5Ghz wifi to broadcast from my PC to my router, then hard wired ethernet from my router to my Shield, Shield into 4k HDR OLED TV.
Gamestream now supports 4k 60 fps HDR too, and I even have a way to get it all working properly, even though i have no HDR monitor attached to my PC (it's complicated!)

It's mostly brilliant to be honest, but it can be complicated to get it all up and running well and occasionally has issues. Set up like this lag is mostly very very good (1-2ms with the inbuilt test) but occasional Wifi interference or other gubbins can cause the odd blip.

It's a lot of faff (and some expense) to get going though and I had to write myself a detailed guide once I got everything working, but I love it!

I also have an Nvidia K1 shield tablet that I've had for years now anyway, and can basically stream to this too, which is even more awesome in a lot of ways. It's basically a switch on steroids for all my PC and emulation games ( which could technically actually include Switch games ;) )

Last edited:
Soldato
Ethernet connection is needed, wifi is not an option in most cases if your planning to stream across network.

What I did was build a basic system and just run Parsec for gaming.

Even when running an HDMI cable, Windows will get its knickers in a twist about what audio device it should be using if you use speakers on PC and use the HDMI for the TV in another room.

Taking all that into account, you will have problems with both Parsec AND HDMI if your gaming monitor is a different aspect ratio to the display in the other room.

BUILD A SECOND GAMING PC - IT IS THE ONLY WAY!

Man of Honour
I tried steam link and wasn't happy with the results. Lag was noticeable and quality not on par with a local console. ymmv. I'd get a console and not worry about it.

This is my plan. Steam link was awful all round. I've preordered an Xbox Series X for some 60inch 4k glory.

Soldato
As above, a direct HDMI cable wired all nice and neat would be the absolute best solution.

I couldn't be bothered doing this or getting a man in, and like an idiot have been on a massive journey with Nvidia Gamestream.

You need the right Nvidia GPU in your PC and an Nvidia Shield though (awesome kit for other stuff) and best results for me are a mix of using 5Ghz wifi to broadcast from my PC to my router, then hard wired ethernet from my router to my Shield, Shield into 4k HDR OLED TV.
Gamestream now supports 4k 60 fps HDR too, and I even have a way to get it all working properly, even though i have no HDR monitor attached to my PC (it's complicated!)

It's mostly brilliant to be honest, but it can be complicated to get it all up and running well and occasionally has issues. Set up like this lag is mostly very very good (1-2ms with the inbuilt test) but occasional Wifi interference or other gubbins can cause the odd blip.

It's a lot of faff (and some expense) to get going though and I had to write myself a detailed guide once I got everything working, but I love it!

I also have an Nvidia K1 shield tablet that I've had for years now anyway, and can basically stream to this too, which is even more awesome in a lot of ways. It's basically a switch on steroids for all my PC and emulation games ( which could technically actually include Switch games ;) )

You don't actually need an Nvidia GPU. I use a Shield with an RX 5700XT via gigabit ethernet with no issues at all, just use the Steam Link app instead of Nvidia Gamestream.

I had it working previously via AC1200 Powerline adapters, which worked but in some faster paced situations I ended up with graphical artifacts; not had a single issue since I installed the ethernet however.

Associate
OP
Lots of options it seems! Running a HDMI cable all the way downstairs and then a long USB cable for an Xbox controller receiver may be an option although not the most convinient. Will probably give this a go.

Steam Link I won't try as input lag and quality don't sound good.

Nvidia shield was also an option but it's £200. Xbox series S is £250 so I would regret buying that when £50 could get me a new console although not capable of 4k but still.

This was mainly to make use of the Sony TV downstairs as it's HDR and my 4k monitor is just a regular VA panel.

Thanks for the info though dudes, will look into it some more.

Soldato
Lots of options it seems! Running a HDMI cable all the way downstairs and then a long USB cable for an Xbox controller receiver may be an option although not the most convinient. Will probably give this a go.

Nvidia shield was also an option but it's £200. Xbox series S is £250 so I would regret buying that when £50 could get me a new console although not capable of 4k but still.

This was mainly to make use of the Sony TV downstairs as it's HDR and my 4k monitor is just a regular VA panel.

The Shield TV 'tube' 2019 version is only £150. That's what I've got. I caved in and bought a Shield controller too (v nice) but you can use any bluetooth controller (Shield controller is better for various reasons I won't go into now, but rumble working is one main thing!)

Don't want to sound like an Nvidia rep (I'm not!) but the Shield TV is a great bit of kit. A really smart feature is the AI upscaling of 1080p content on Netflix and Amazon for example to 4K. It's noticeably better (it's like DLSS 2.0 for video basically). My main reason for buying it though was for Gamestream and in HDR, as I too have no HDR monitor connected to my PC, but do have an HDR OLED downstairs in the lounge.

Soldato
The Shield TV 'tube' 2019 version is only £150. That's what I've got. I caved in and bought a Shield controller too (v nice) but you can use any bluetooth controller (Shield controller is better for various reasons I won't go into now, but rumble working is one main thing!)

Don't want to sound like an Nvidia rep (I'm not!) but the Shield TV is a great bit of kit. A really smart feature is the AI upscaling of 1080p content on Netflix and Amazon for example to 4K. It's noticeably better (it's like DLSS 2.0 for video basically). My main reason for buying it though was for Gamestream and in HDR, as I too have no HDR monitor connected to my PC, but do have an HDR OLED downstairs in the lounge.

Another +1 for this, the shield is not just a game streaming device, we use ours basically as a set top box, for amazon prime, Netflix, YouTube, Spotify etc.

hTe Steam Link will do what you want (lag wise it's very similar to the shield), but is limited to 1080p, no Hdr. You can pick one up for around £15, so possibly a reasonable test to see if streaming will work for you before forking out for a shield?

Failing that, your only option really is running the HDMI & USB - this will give you the best experience (basically the same as having the PC in the living room connected to the TV) but obviously there's the inconvenience of running the cables.

Edit: just noticed you mention Xbox game pass. This doesn't work nicely with steam streaming, so if you're planning to use it then the Shield idea may be a non-starter

Associate

Is it an Android Sony?

If so download moonlight on the app store and enjoy. ( Assuming you have a nvidia card?)

Associate
OP

Ah right, I will have a look. Yeah I saw the video by Linus about it. The 4k upscaling looks great although my TV does 4k upscaling very well as it is. If we didn't have a Firestick then I would buy the Shield I just can't justify spending that much money at the moment to be honest. Too much tech coming out this year! Thanks for the information though mate.

Another +1 for this, the shield is not just a game streaming device, we use ours basically as a set top box, for amazon prime, Netflix, YouTube, Spotify etc.

hTe Steam Link will do what you want (lag wise it's very similar to the shield), but is limited to 1080p, no Hdr. You can pick one up for around £15, so possibly a reasonable test to see if streaming will work for you before forking out for a shield?

Failing that, your only option really is running the HDMI & USB - this will give you the best experience (basically the same as having the PC in the living room connected to the TV) but obviously there's the inconvenience of running the cables.

Edit: just noticed you mention Xbox game pass. This doesn't work nicely with steam streaming, so if you're planning to use it then the Shield idea may be a non-starter

1080p and no HDR wouldn't be right for what I want to be honest. Some other users here mentioned it had quite a bit of lag too.

Yeah now I need to find a decent HDMI cable that's about 15M!

Howcome the game pass doesn't work nice with steam streaming?

Another +1 for shield. I bought one and now have three. They are great little android boxes and let me comfortably stream 4K games @ 60fps with no noticeable lag.

Maybe if I can find a deal on one I will have a look. They do have great reviews though so very tempting.

Is it an Android Sony?

If so download moonlight on the app store and enjoy. ( Assuming you have a nvidia card?)

Yeah it's a Sony XF9005. Not the best gaming TV but the picture and HDR quality is so nice I want to experience my games on it!

You talking about this? - https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.limelight&hl=en_GB

I have a 2080 right now (yep..regret not selling it)

Soldato
1080p and no HDR wouldn't be right for what I want to be honest. Some other users here mentioned it had quite a bit of lag too.

I had a Steam link before the Shield (upgraded when I finally got round to getting a 4K TV) and didn't notice any more lag than the Shield.

Howcome the game pass doesn't work nice with steam streaming?

To be able to use the Steam streaming you need to add the executable for the game to Steam as a "Non-Steam Game". This works fine for most 3rd party games (e.g. GOG, Epic, Origin & Uplay), but because of the way the Game Pass games are stuck in a hidden folder which you don't actually have permissions for, you can't do that. I've tried a couple of times with various guides online & tools which supposedly let you do it, but never had any luck :(

Permabanned
I was looking at this thread when it was new and thought to myself NV Shield but seen he said something about buying a console so thought I read it wrong.

I can if I want play my PC games on my TV via my Shield (you link them in GFE and you need a Nvidia GPU obv to do that).

Back
Top Bottom