• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Is this a faulty 3080 ?

Associate
hi

seems a stupid question but please bear with me here.

Received the 3080 yesterday replacing my 2080. All initially appeared okay but noticed that when idle it was flipping between just 210mhz and zero. Leaving the pc for a while I came back to see it struggling to run the Windows screensaver. I looked online and saw no references to this weird thing. My 2080 when idle ran at constant 300mhz minimum.

I have now installed the asus gpu tweak 2 app and running the gpu with the '3d mode' permanently on thus running the card at 1815mhz (using the oc option). This is stopping the 0mhz and slowdown problem when idle but this cannot be normal can it?

Anyone else with similar situation or has anyone heard this problem mentioned elsewhere?

Thanks in advance.

Associate
OP
Do you have a Dual monitor setup as i heard this can sometimes mess with the gpu clock speeds..

No, just a single monitor.

I've stopped using the gpu tweak 2 as it was actually limiting the clock to 1815mhz when set on oc mode whereas without gpu tweak it will clock to 1935mhz. I check Control Settings and have just set it to 'prefer maximum performance' which keeps it clocked at minimum 1735mhz.

The temps and general performance are good when it's doing something is fine but when left idle in a 2d state it wants to switch between 210mhz and 0mhz.

Permabanned
Just checked mine, 0-210 idle. I have no issues with this, but I have noticed that after leaving the PC for a few hours idle the card can ,but not always, report normal core clocks, 1920MHz, while lacking the performance. E.g. CP2077 running at 20 FPS instead of 60. A soft reboot sorts this out.

Associate
hi

seems a stupid question but please bear with me here.

Received the 3080 yesterday replacing my 2080. All initially appeared okay but noticed that when idle it was flipping between just 210mhz and zero. Leaving the pc for a while I came back to see it struggling to run the Windows screensaver.

It is not faulty that is standard Nvidia performance. If you are lucky to have a good chip and you put your card on water and overclock it, it will run the screen saver better. :)

Associate
OP
I would'nt mind if it sat at 210mhz idle but it keeps dropping to zero. I'm just gonna leave it on 'maximum performance' until a fix is found.

Thanks for replies; good to know in a way that a few people have same 'fault' as me.

Soldato
Mine drops to 0 as well sometimes when idle, but I never notice.
It's not 1998 anymore though so I don't run a screen saver. I just have my screen set to switch off after 15 mins idle

Associate
Afterburner shows this happening on my 3090 too. It seems to be when there's literally nothing happening on the screen (other than the bloody AB window updating the clock speed). For example, as I was reading this thread, without scrolling the chrome window, it was doing it (flipping between 0 and 210). As soon as I moved the mouse / started scrolling the page it stopped and held 210Mhz.

I don't think it's anything to worry about as the card appears to be running fine in all other respects. It may just be a reporting issue.

Associate
OP
Thank you. It does appear to be a common problem.

I had a black screen and as previously mentioned stuttering in the screensaver (am sorry if using a screensaver in 2021 displeases some) but that article also mentions problems in browsers which I had previously heard of but did not realise it was linked to this.

Having it set to 'maximum performance' in the Control Panel seems to be the only fix and that's okay.

Back
Top Bottom