Is this dangerous? 4 beeps but boots fine

Associate
Hi guys

Im getting the 4 beeps error on start up but the pc boots fine. Everything is recognised and no isses.
I did reseat the RAM, swap RAM slots and mem test the RAM which showed no errors. I reseated my GPU also. Nothing got rid of the 4 beeps at startup

My question is am i ok to continue to use the PC as it boots fine, despite the 4 beeps on start up? Or is in it going to cascade into a greater problem?

Associate
OP
Thanks Micky. Great ill get a new CMOS battery and give that a go, fingers crossed. Thanks for the BIOS settings heads up

Associate
OP
I have replaced the cmos battery but im still getting the 4 bleeps error. Anmy other diagnostics i could do?

Is it safe to still use my PC?

Associate
OP
Will do. My motherboard is a ASUS ROG strix X570-F. I just put in a RTX 3080 so maybe that did something?

Associate
OP
Thanks Micky. I switched the RTX3080 for my old GTX1080 and the beeps stopped. Does that mean a broken 3080? I have a 750W PSU so that should be enough right? CPU is a 3700X with 32GB DDr4 RAM which should be more than enough i would imagine?

Soldato
Thanks Micky. I switched the RTX3080 for my old GTX1080 and the beeps stopped. Does that mean a broken 3080? I have a 750W PSU so that should be enough right? CPU is a 3700X with 32GB DDr4 RAM which should be more than enough i would imagine?

'4. "One long and three short beeps" from speaker

An anomaly is detected in the graphic card. If the graphic card needs an extra power supply, please ensure the power supply can provide enough wattage.'

This says display issues but then you are getting an output, but does it sound like one long and 3 short beeps?

https://www.asus.com/uk/support/FAQ/1029959/

Associate
OP
Last edited:
Soldato
Thanks Defy. Its the normal 1 beep for post, immediatly followed by 4 fast beeps.
The system seems to run fine though its odd.
Ive done more searching and found others are having the same issue with their 3080's so its a wider problem it seems. Odd though. I guess maybe a bios setting i supppose as i cant see a driver update helping but maybe so?

https://www.reddit.com/r/nvidia/comments/iwbzzl/motherboard_beeps_4_times_at_start_after_rtx3080/
Might be, who knows, joys of new hardware!

Easiest solution, remove the speaker and only plug it back in when you have issues :p

Associate
OP
lol nice one Defy :p It may come to that!

Thanks Micky, just checked and no i dont have the latest BIOS. A quick check shows a new update a couple of weeks ago with one one of teh changes "Improved Graphics Card Compatability" so Ill hunt down a usb stick and try that update ASAP

Associate
Hello!

First of all, I just wanted to say thank you for this thread. It pushed me in the right direction to solve my particular issue.

Just wanted to add some more info to this thread. I was running into exactly this issue after installing a Gainward RTX 3070 Phoenix GS in my computer with a Asus Prime B350M-A motherboard. On the advice of this forum thread, I updated my BIOS from version 5406 that I was running previously to version 5603, which is the latest as of time of writing. This however did not immediately solve my problem.

I then visited the linked Reddit thread for some more details, and I found that the key was going to Boot -> CSM (Compatibility Support Module) and then setting Launch CSM to Disabled. You will get an error message about making sure the Microsoft signed UEFI driver was contained on your system NVMe. With my particular SSD (an Intel 660p) that seems to already have been done at some point. I decided just to proceed anyway and hope it works, and it did.

Note: There was one guy who's motherboard would no longer boot after this (he had to take the CMOS battery out to recover), and he was using an Asus Prime B350M-Plus, which is almost identical to my motherboard, but I did not run into the same issue, so I'm not sure what was going on there.

Finally, I suspect this is entirely cosmetic. There are no error messages shown on the screen, and a lot of people don't even plug PC speakers into their motherboards to begin with, so even though their motherboards might well be beeping, they'll never end up hearing it or realizing.

Associate
Hi, my mobo is MSI 350m and i have just installed evga 3070...Eveyrthing works fine but there are those 4 short beeps when booting..
However those did not work.

• turning lergacy to UEFI

• Enable ERP Ready

• Disable Legacy USB Support
Are we sure that nothing will happen? should I just wait and hope for a new bios update from MSI? i got the latest one installed atm.

Thanks

Man of Honour
Hi, my mobo is MSI 350m and i have just installed evga 3070...Eveyrthing works fine but there are those 4 short beeps when booting..
However those did not work.

• turning lergacy to UEFI

• Enable ERP Ready

• Disable Legacy USB Support
Are we sure that nothing will happen? should I just wait and hope for a new bios update from MSI? i got the latest one installed atm.

Thanks

What power supply do you have and are you using seperate power cables to the gpu or one single cable with 2 connectors?

Back
Top Bottom