Is this even broadband?

HaX

HaX

Associate
That is without a doubt broadband, although relatively slow compared to the offerings on the market these days.

You should have tried being an internet user back in the days of 56 k modems. You would have got connection results of 0.040 mb if you were lucky!

Soldato
That is without a doubt broadband, although relatively slow compared to the offerings on the market these days.

You should have tried being an internet user back in the days of 56 k modems. You would have got connection results of 0.040 mb if you were lucky!

the old man speaks the truth! :D

Man of Honour
837606346.png

I win.

Soldato
No. It's 512 Kb/s.

ok i got the b and p worng way round on my post but..

512 kbps = kilobits per second
512 kb/s = kilobytes per second

the way they write it on that results page mb/s is actually incorrect

EDIT: also heres a list of each countrys 'average' speed http://www.netindex.com/download/allcountries/ at least your doing a little better than Zimbabwe :D

Last edited:
Man of Honour
I can't do the maths - what do the figures in the OP relate to if it shows up as kbps?

A young mate of mine is really useless with computers and one day he complained his internet was slow so could I look at his machine.
I went round his house, ran Broadband Speed Checker and it came up as 154kbps where in my house it came up as 9,920kbps.
I ran a laptop in his house and it was slow, bought his PC to my house where it was normal therefore I deducted something was wrong with either his modem or provider.
Every week he would ring me to tell me it was super slow and I kept telling him to ring his provider.
5 months later :eek: I ended up going round his house and ringing up the provider who then sent a new modem.
How could anybody put up with those speeds for 5 months?

Caporegime
You can't really vouch for the credibility of the results of a single speedtest. You should do at least 3 or 4 at different times of the day and then work out the average. :)

Soldato
here's BT 5 miles from exchange and only ISP we can have...

Are you sure you're limited to just BT?

Even if there's no cable or LLU services at your area/exchange, you should be able to get a provider using BTW service (or whatever it's called).

Caporegime
Very unlikely mobile broadband will be 'better' than fixed-line for a long time. The biggest impact on browsing is latency, and 3G has loads of it.

Man of Honour
Broadband is at the end of the day just a marketing term, it has no technical meaning at all. Typically anything above ISDN speeds would be classed broadband by the marketing folk (and all below narrowband obviously enough) but it's just marketing speak, it was once used as a interchangeable term with xDSL but that's long since gone and the variety of EUA networks means it's purely marketing these days...

Soldato
Are you sure you're limited to just BT?

Even if there's no cable or LLU services at your area/exchange, you should be able to get a provider using BTW service (or whatever it's called).

Tried, once you actually try and order they say they can't do it. AOL used to supply but they don't anymore. Small exchange (sub 500 subscribers) is our problem!

Back
Top Bottom