Is this machine worthy of SETI@Home?

Associate
My mum's PC has been upgraded recently and I now have her old Dell. Is it worth the electricity setting this up for a SETI 24/7 machine? It's so slow I have no intention to use it for anything else;

Intel Celeron 420 @ 1.6ghz
512MB DDR2 RAM 667mhz
Onboard 128mb graphics
150gb Sata HDD
Windows XP Home

Given that the machine is so unresponsive (30secs plus to open a window) I plan to give it a fresh XP install with windows updates, throw on some free AV software and let BOINC do it's thing.

Am I wasting my time? Are there any cheap upgrades worth doing for better SETI performance? A cheap Nvidia GPU perhaps or a bit of extra RAM?

Man of Honour
Not worth the leccy as it stands. Adding a second hand 9800 (128 stream) nvidia card or above, would make it worthwhile.

Associate
OP
Cheers Biffa.

Looks like the motherboard may also take an E6600 CPU as the Celeron is on an LGA775 socket. I'll keep my eyes out for a cheap CPU and Nvidia card and will save on my electric until then.

Guess I need to start posting more so I can get access to MM. Being a forum member for 9 years isn't quite enough :D

Associate
OP
Quad core sounds good. What CPU should I be looking for? I've only been able to find dual core CPUs that fit a 775 socket.

Associate
OP
I will hopefully have a Q6600 coming through the post tomorrow. Since buying it I've discovered that quad cores might not work on the motherboard I have (they are fine on the normal model board, but the Dell board has some changes and a different BIOS). Sadly even if it does work I won't be able to overclock it.

Worst case my wife's PC will get the Q6600 and I'll take her E5400 for the SETI machine.

Now it's time to find a half decent Nvidia GPU, and no doubt will need a better PSU to run the thing. SETI is beginning to get expensive... I think I've caught the bug.

Associate
OP
It will be hooked up to my network which has shared folders active (pics of my family etc). Wouldn't it be a bit risky running a machine on my network without any AV?

Associate
OP
Motherboard didn't take the Q6600 :(

My wife now has a nice upgrade on her machine (installed boinc on the quiet :D :D :D) and I've got the E5400 in the Dell. I'm dropping in 2gb of RAM tomorrow.

What is the best second hand GPU I can get on the cheap purely for SETI? I want to spend as little as possible. I was thinking something like a GTX260 but have no clue when it comes to bang for buck.

Back
Top Bottom