Is this mob justice, or fair justice?

Associate
THIS. I'm sorry but I just don't buy it.

If he is in the Navy and not a civilian then he cannot just "resign" he will have signed on for a number of years and no matter how bad the treatment he was getting it is not just a case of "leaving the ship at the next port" The procedure for an early discharge is lengthy and not always granted.

Soldato
You said this had been going on for months so presumably this guy had been in the Navy for sometime and in that case i wouldnt of thought that you can just hand your notice in and resign and leave within 3 days,something doesnt add up with what you are telling is.

AMG

AMG

Soldato
Mob,

OP didn't say were the paint was, so for all we know they could have painted the outside of it, meaning the person could well be innocent, if that, than they just ruined someone career

has the stealing stopped? by any chance? IF it has it might well have been that person, or he is too scared to do it. because of what happened.

Permabanned
Wall o' text so bear with me ..

One of my mates works in the navy. Someone was stealing lots of expensive stuff from the lockers. There are - like - 300 people on board. Over months, major irritating. No-one knew who it was and the official investigation was getting no-where. So my mate got together with about 50 sailors who they pretty well trusted not be be thieving. They all chose a weekend not to use their lockers at all. The lockers are black. They all painted 'non-set, black, non-removeable' paint all over their lockers on Friday night when everyone else not on duty was elsewhere.

Saturday night .. their plan worked -- one guy comes in the canteen nervously wearing gloves (!!). Upon getting the gloves off him, his hands are covered in black non-removeable paint. Busted 100%. They went to the officers and believe it or not to cut a long story short there was 'not enough evidence' despite him not being able to account for the paint or where he was at recent thieving times, and the guy got released without charge :( . The sailors wanted him gone but the guy had got off Scott free. None of the sailors were prepared to break ANY regulations to get revenge (threatening, hurting etc) so here is what they did.

Whenever the guy entered the canteen or any communal place, every single person in there would stop whatever they were doing, whatever they were saying, just go dead silent, all look directly at the guy, and simply point directly at the guy in silence as he walked around doing his business. 300 men. A busy old canteen, sudden absolute silence and everyone just pointing at the one guy right the way until he left the room again. People would even stop ordering food (or in the gym using the equipment). Even lots of the officers did it!! No navy rules were being broken. Can you imagine?

The 'unproven' thief lasted 3 days and resigned. Career over, 'get off at the next port'. On day 3 apparently he was in tears - the silence and steady pointing remained absolute.

The question is this -- is this 'fair justice, nice work getting rid of the guy ' or is this 'mob justice, very nasty'?? I'm finding it difficult to choose between the two ..

Fair.

I know a few sailors and the generally accepted way of dealing with theft is to slam one of the vertical closing hatches on their hands. These hatches take two people to open and close, being so heavy. Their hands literally pop/explode.

Soldato
Fair.

I know a few sailors and the generally accepted way of dealing with theft is to slam one of the vertical closing hatches on their hands. These hatches take two people to open and close, being so heavy. Their hands literally pop/explode.

Sounds like those sailors are living in the dark ages. :rolleyes:

Man of Honour
There may have been one specific case of that maybe... pretty sure thats not the generally accepted way to deal with it.

The navy can be pretty harsh tho in dealing with untrustworthy people.

Soldato
Doubt he was off at the next port to be honest.
This is pretty light as far as stuff onboard warships go, its fair justice to be honest.
Its not just the fact someones stealing something valuable, they are stealing something and you're no longer going to have it, it can be silly little things that completely ruin your day to day life, and if theres no trust between a mess onboard then its going to ruin morale.

He'd get stabbed on american carrier, psychos.

Caporegime
Fair, as said, he had no explanation and tried to hide the fact. If he wasn't touching lockers because he was trying to break in, he'd simply have leant on a locker or something and asked someone what the **** was going on with the paint on it.

The guilty hide things, the innocent get help, as said though proof someone touched the outside of a locker isn't proof they stole everything. Proof he stole from ONE locker wouldn't be proof he stole all the stuff.

LIkewise, an innocent person would have explained himself to anyone that asked, wouldn't have gotten so upset and would have likely filed LOTS of complaints, this is the EXACT type of thing people sue and get millions for, for essentially wrongful termination and bullying in a government service job. THe fact he didn't again to me means he was hiding something. LIke if there was a proper long term investigation into the treatment, and a lawsuit, it probably opens him up to being investigated, for things like odd payments into his account, tracking down his bank accounts, finding payments from paypal, on an account that was selling stolen stuff on ebay, that kind of thing.

If I was in that situation, wrongfully having my career ruined, WITH NOTHING TO HIDE, I'd have sued them all, if I was in the wrong, and didn't want any legal charges, I would have dissappeared quietly.

Back
Top Bottom