Is this mob justice, or fair justice?

Caporegime
Why would he have leaned onto lockers with his hands? Why would he even be leaning on them, surely if he was leaning on them he must have been stood around talking to someone, which could have been an aliby.
Theres no reason to be leaning on lockers, if he had time to loaf about he would have been down the mess or in his bunk.
o.

So when changing your shoes etc you've never put your hand on the wall to stabilise yourself?

Caporegime
So when changing your shoes etc you've never put your hand on the wall to stabilise yourself?

I have, yet without having done anything wrong I've never felt guilty, if I caused a partially broken door to break off when I did it, I wouldn't run and hide, I would tell someone so it can be fixed. Only if I felt guilty or broke a door on purpose, would I maybe try to hide that I did it.

This is the problem, someone who wasn't guilty wouldn't even worry about getting help getting it removed or asking someone what the heck was going on. Pretty much only a guilty person would be trying to hide it.

THen again as I said before, if you were wrongly forced out, you'd have grounds for a lawsuit and a possible huge payout, again, only reason I wouldn't do that, is if I was guilty and was simply taking the route out I had offered to me, both sides leaving well alone. If I wasn't guilty and I was forced out of a job I loved or had worked years to get, I most certainly wouldn't let it lie. Again asking for a transfer due to the situation, if it was a case of mistaken identity I would have explained and asked to move to a different ship/crew/assignment, only reason I'd walk out, was I was actually guilty.

Last edited:
Soldato

why would he be changing his shoes?
You only wear 1 pair onboard our warships, there is no reason for them to be off your feet anywhere other than at the foot lockers, which he wasnt stealing out of

Caporegime
I have, yet without having done anything wrong I've never felt guilty, if I caused a partially broken door to break off when I did it, I wouldn't run and hide, I would tell someone so it can be fixed. Only if I felt guilty or broke a door on purpose, would I maybe try to hide that I did it.

This is the problem, someone who wasn't guilty wouldn't even worry about getting help getting it removed or asking someone what the heck was going on. Pretty much only a guilty person would be trying to hide it.

So when the others have this level of mob justice i nmind you honestly think they're going belive

"oh I did it by accident"

and go don't worry about it.

Or do you think they would react a little bit different?

Caporegime
why would he be changing his shoes?
You only wear 1 pair onboard our warships, there is no reason for them to be off your feet anywhere other than at the foot lockers, which he wasnt stealing out of

ok scratched his calf looked at the sole of his shoe did any number of the things that normal people put their hand o the wall for.

Soldato
To the OP, excellently done i felt. Passive pressure until he quit. Justice done and served.

Jacob - Only the 50 of the men that were in on it had there locker painted

Associate
Yeah but if you paint your locker and its next to one thats not painted then when you open your locker theres a decent chance you are going to get paint on your hand?

Or were all 50 lockers together.. ?

Associate
The OP's story doesn't sound hugely believable.

If a ship is visiting ports then it's either going on exercise or on it's way to start an op. Either way there are crew shifts going on 24/7, so a mess deck is never empty even when most of the crew is out on a run ashore.

Anyone painting anything with mysterious non removable paint (highly unlikely to be on board in the first place let alone un-secured) is going to get jailed the instant a petty officer sees it, simple as that. And lockers aren't painted black in the first place.

Officers joining in a communal punishment after the Captain declares someone not guiilty on ships orders? Not if they like their career.

No laws broken? Conduct predudice to the preservation of military discipline springs to mind immediately (although that may not be the same in the navy as in the army in my day), as well as any anti bullying guidelines brought in over the last few years. And you don't 'resign' although the Captain could have binned him off the ship for any reason.

If the story was true he'd have grounds to sue the arse off the MOD.

Soldato
300 men? Anything over the 200 odd mark (Type 45) then it has to be one of the 5 biggest ships (3 Carriers and 2 Assault Ships). I don't think the stories true, just does not feel right.

Man of Honour
The OP's story doesn't sound hugely believable.

If a ship is visiting ports then it's either going on exercise or on it's way to start an op. Either way there are crew shifts going on 24/7, so a mess deck is never empty even when most of the crew is out on a run ashore.

Anyone painting anything with mysterious non removable paint (highly unlikely to be on board in the first place let alone un-secured) is going to get jailed the instant a petty officer sees it, simple as that. And lockers aren't painted black in the first place.

Officers joining in a communal punishment after the Captain declares someone not guiilty on ships orders? Not if they like their career.

No laws broken? Conduct predudice to the preservation of military discipline springs to mind immediately (although that may not be the same in the navy as in the army in my day), as well as any anti bullying guidelines brought in over the last few years. And you don't 'resign' although the Captain could have binned him off the ship for any reason.

If the story was true he'd have grounds to sue the arse off the MOD.

While I find the story a bit hard to swallow... the navy can be pretty harsh.

My uncle (civil servant) was hitching a ride on a navy ship to Gibraltar and there was one officer that was apparently a really nasty bit of work - the sailors took to blacking up everything he'd come into contact with*, with boot polish.

* Eye pieces on a range finder was the focus of the story my uncle told but they'd also do it on the handles of stuff, etc. that he'd have to use.

Back
Top Bottom