Is this new in RMA ( Cut Cord process)

Associate
Had a wireless mouse issue, left button would no longer work. So after contacting the company Razor this was the end result.

ZhsSbQ1.jpg

Their new quicker RMA policy (Cut Cord process. In the Cut Cord process, the replacement will be received 3 to 5 business days, quicker than the standard process).

But to get to this stage at least 7 emails showing you have tried all they suggest and video of devices issues. Two RMA departments and third to send it.

Cutting the serial number no problems but the lead as well, may be handy at a later date.

Examples https://dl.razerzone.com/support/Razer_Cut_Cord_Guide.pdf

New peripheral's aren't cheap by any means but now can be classed as disposable? Is this the end to some refurbishment resales.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
So is this in addition to sending it back or is a picture of the disabled hardware enough to satisfy them to send out a replacement.

Disabled hardware enough to satisfy to advance to next stage (Our team will get in touch with you regarding the replacement process for your Razer device. We look forward to having you enjoy the use of your product once again!)

So I presume nothing more to do.

Soldato
Guess they've had enough of being scammed and they also know the real value of the peripheral is not enough to justify shipping and repairs.

So just prove it's been vandalised enough to mess with any reselling and they'll yoink a fresh one off the conveyor belt for you :)

Soldato
If they just take people's word that the device has failed and send a new unit to everyone that says "it's broken", they will get scammed.

If they require people to ship a mouse back and then pay a tech to inspect/verify failure, then they are wasting more resources.

Caporegime
So you basically have to destroy the unit beyond use to get an RMA approved?
No its an expedited method.

"Return to us, wait for us to identify the problem prove its broken and our fault and we will send you a new one"

Or

"Record the fault then destroy the device and we will send you a new one"

Means they can ship them out fast without flooding the second hand market with faulty goods with thier name on

Ree

Ree

Associate
Had something similar with Noctua I had to snap two blades off the fan and send the pic then they sent a replacement. Probably saves them a lot of time/money/storage doing it this way.

Man of Honour
Had something similar with Noctua I had to snap two blades off the fan and send the pic then they sent a replacement. Probably saves them a lot of time/money/storage doing it this way.
Noctua are literally just down the road from me, really nice product.

Weren't Logitech doing this whole destroy the RMA product thing decades ago?

Soldato
It’s not new as others have said. It’s how I got my razer keyboard really cheap. My friend bought it new, the windows key worked but didn’t click like the rest of them and he was told to remove the sn and cut the cord and send them the pic. The cord in this case was a detachable usb cable. He got a new keyboard, I gave him a few quid for the old one, bought a new cable and with a little bit of modding to the moulding on the end it worked well enough for me. It does seem wasteful and it makes me wonder how much profit they are making on a keyboard to replace with a new one rather than ship back, repair and return.

Soldato
Same with some white goods. Had to cut the cord off of a faulty microwave and write on the case my name and the date in permanent marker to get a replacement shipped.

Commissario

Noctua fans are great but I've never used them for the specified purpose!

I have three of their 80mm hobbies cable tied together in front of me to blow air over me when it's particularly warm in the shack. I didn't buy them for that purpose, I bought them to cool an amplifier but the amplifier failed (note, it didn't overheat) so I've just repurposed them.

HxIuz8Q.jpeg

My replacement amp has an exhaust fan on top and because I've got it partially under a shelf, I've done the same sort of thing - A nice quiet Noctua fan to push the exhausted air away from under the shelf.

Lhiq2P3.jpeg

Good to hear they have a similar procedure in place so that if one fails, I can get it replaced.

And yes, Logitech did used to do something similar.

Soldato
No its an expedited method.

"Return to us, wait for us to identify the problem prove its broken and our fault and we will send you a new one"

Or

"Record the fault then destroy the device and we will send you a new one"

Means they can ship them out fast without flooding the second hand market with faulty goods with thier name on

Interesting, they get to hide away to a degree amount of faults publically, and keep new customers to the brand new market as much as possible.

I agree with earlier comments that its wasteful and it also indicates high profit margins. Reminds me of the amazon lot sales and wastage.

Soldato
Seems very sensible solution to me. Its minimal effort for a genuine customer, costs nothing and must stop a very significant number of scam attempts.

Had similar with lakeland a while back for a faulty electrical item - they just asked me to cut the cord and dispose of it safely. Wasn't worth it to them to get a return for inspection and the man I spoke to could see my something like 20 year purchase history on his screen, so was very confident I wasn't scamming them.

Soldato
Interesting, they get to hide away to a degree amount of faults publically, and keep new customers to the brand new market as much as possible.

I agree with earlier comments that its wasteful and it also indicates high profit margins. Reminds me of the amazon lot sales and wastage.
You expect them to pay someone whatever living wage is to repair broken mice?

Ree

Ree

Associate

I've never used their RMA so cant comment on it.

Good to hear they have a similar procedure in place so that if one fails, I can get it replaced

The process with them was first class they were really fast to reply to emails and it took about a week all in to receive the replacement and that was including the shipping from Austria. This was before Covid though.

Back
Top Bottom