Is this normal speed for a brand new SSD?

Associate
Hi folks,

Just installed a new Crucial BX100 256gb SSD a couple of days ago in the following spec machine:

Current Spec

· GeForce GTX 480 1536MB
· Intel i7 950 3.06 @ Overclocked to 3.9Ghz
· Asus P6X58D-E Mobo (Socket 1366)
· 12GB (6x2gb) Tri-Channel 1600MHz RAM
· 750W Corsair HX Power Supply
· Crucial BX100 256GB SSD

Have done a fresh install of windows 7. Was expecting somewhat better speeds after seeing reviews and benchmarks in the same application online.

• Drivers up to date
  • Trim on.
  • Defrag off.
  • In a 6gb/s sata port (reads 6gb/s in the bios too)
Anything else i might be missing?

o7lgutr.png

Many thanks!

Caporegime
yes if your on marvell sata3 ports

they arnt as fast as modern intel sata3

did you set the marvell port to ahci mode in the bios? that might help,but you have to set it first before you install windows,you cant change it later without a re install

Associate
Probably the issue is your motherboard has a very early 3rd party (Marvel) Sata 6 controller that hangs off a single PCI-E lane which will limit bandwidths compared to later motherboards with Native support running directly from the motherboard controller.

Peter

Soldato
you have a x58 board and the marvel controllers cannot reach the full SSD speed and are crap!

I have a I7 950 and I get the same speeds on a Samsung 850 evo. I currently have mine connected to the sata 2 ports and disabled the marvel ones as I get faster write speeds.

I spent a fair bit of time trying to get full speed from my SSD but come to the conclusion that it will not happen till I get a new cpu, mobo whenever that will be.

my motherboard is a Asus P6X58D-E Intel X58 (Socket 1366) DDR3 Motherboard

so you can compare here is my 850 evo on the intel sata 2 ports rather than the marvel ones

YlopiTAYvpz8AGsR

I also was not aware of this issue till I got my SSD and speeds where not right but google is full of others with the same issue on the x58 range boards. if you want full speeds find a x58 board with a sata 3 intel controller

Last edited:
Associate
OP
yes if your on marvell sata3 ports

they arnt as fast as modern intel sata3

did you set the marvell port to ahci mode in the bios? that might help,but you have to set it first before you install windows,you cant change it later without a re install

Yep, everythign that's required in the BIOS has been changed over. It's definitely in one of the 2 available SATA 6gb/s ports and is set to AHCI mode.

Probably the issue is your motherboard has a very early 3rd party (Marvel) Sata 6 controller that hangs off a single PCI-E lane which will limit bandwidths compared to later motherboards with Native support running directly from the motherboard controller.

Peter

Ahhh, i didn't realise this was the case! I guess that's even more reason to think of upgrading sooner rather than later :o

you have a x58 board and the marvel controllers cannot reach the full SSD speed and are crap!

I have a I7 950 and I get the same speeds on a Samsung 850 evo. I currently have mine connected to the sata 2 ports and disabled the marvel ones as I get faster write speeds.

I spent a fair bit of time trying to get full speed from my SSD but come to the conclusion that it will not happen till I get a new cpu, mobo whenever that will be.

my motherboard is a Asus P6X58D-E Intel X58 (Socket 1366) DDR3 Motherboard

so you can compare here is my 850 evo on the intel sata 2 ports rather than the marvel ones

YlopiTAYvpz8AGsR

I also was not aware of this issue till I got my SSD and speeds where not right but google is full of others with the same issue on the x58 range boards. if you want full speeds find a x58 board with a sata 3 intel controller

Thanks a bunch for confirming that with a similar board! Very much appreciated.

I'll try moving mine to a 3gb/s Port and see if my write speed increases also!

I can almost get the same read/write speeds from a crappy windows 7 software striping array across 2 old 7200rpm disks! lol

Again, cheers all for the replies! :)

Soldato
Thanks a bunch for confirming that with a similar board! Very much appreciated.

I'll try moving mine to a 3gb/s Port and see if my write speed increases also!

I can almost get the same read/write speeds from a crappy windows 7 software striping array across 2 old 7200rpm disks! lol

Again, cheers all for the replies! :)

yeah, its down to the 3rd party marvel controller, they are terrible on these boards.

the only way I could get the full speed of the SSD was to put them both in raid setup (I have 2 x 250GB drives) which double the speed but left them as single drives as cannot do any firmware updates on them and the Samsung magician software cannot even see them due to showing as a intel drive (raid controller)

edit, just found a HD tune screen shot of my SSD on the marvel controller

sMGwcxWq1AuHOyVR

Last edited:
Caporegime
I ahd the same issue with my x58 and i put my ssd on the intel sata 2 connection as well as can live with slower read speeds but the other speeds been faster are more important.

That was what finally made me upgrade to a x99 board. I now get full speed from my Samsung 830.

Soldato
I ahd the same issue with my x58 and i put my ssd on the intel sata 2 connection as well as can live with slower read speeds but the other speeds been faster are more important.

That was what finally made me upgrade to a x99 board. I now get full speed from my Samsung 830.

did you notice anymore performance gains when going to x99 with your SSD?

always wondered if it would make much of a difference.

Caporegime
To be honest no. Obviously in benchmarks but in real time use unless you have a stopwatch then no. The biggest gain was moving from hard drive to ssd in the first place.

Handy to have all the usb3 ports though and I have since swapped ssd to a pcie one.

Soldato
To be honest no. Obviously in benchmarks but in real time use unless you have a stopwatch then no. The biggest gain was moving from hard drive to ssd in the first place.

Handy to have all the usb3 ports though and I have since swapped ssd to a pcie one.

didn't think it would, was just curious as raiding the drives to single drive use on sata 2 didn't seem any faster is OS or loading games etc

Caporegime
Yeah for a while I had two sad in raid 0 on my x58. That wasn't any quicker than a single 830 I replace them with apart from benchmarks and I was fed up not been able to update firmware easy or use Samsung magician etc

Back
Top Bottom