Is Visual Basic worth learning?

Man of Honour
I wouldn't really bother with VB. I'd suggest C# instead. Personally I prefer Java but the more people learn C# instead of Java will keep the hourly rates higher for Java developers.

So C# please :)

Associate
I would personally stick away from VB6 unless your in the position of wanting to learn vbscript, this is really the only good reason for knowing vb6 now

although if im not mistaken i believe you can write vbscript in the .net 2003 ide and it does the syntax prompting for you, i've tried this in .net 2005 and it doesnt seem to happen, whether its disabled or completely removed im not sure but i can write vbscript blindfolded now anyway

if your going to learn something new without a specific need then your best starting with .net 2005, theres some handy asp.net vids at the msdn site that might come in handy with some of the basics (http://msdn.microsoft.com/asp.net/learning/learn/newtodevelopment/default.aspx#Multimedia)

Soldato
Hades said:
I wouldn't really bother with VB. I'd suggest C# instead. Personally I prefer Java but the more people learn C# instead of Java will keep the hourly rates higher for Java developers.

So C# please :)

Well it's not as if it would take more than a day or two for a competent C# developer to get comfortable with Java and vice versa.

Soldato
Avoid VB6 like the plague.

With either C# or VB.Net it makes no odds either way. Learn the language whose syntax you are most familar with so that you can concetrate on getting to grips with the "good stuff" in the .Net framework and not get hung up on syntax. Once you've learned one .Net language, the cross-over to another will be syntax based which is pretty straightforward.

Permabanned
OP
Done both Lesson 1 & 2 , enjoying it at the moment more than anything, however picked up everything so far in the video's/ :)

Will keep a progress log now.. Thanks

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom