1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

ISP Options..

Discussion in 'Networks & Internet Connectivity' started by McDaniel, 11 Jul 2006.

1. McDaniel

Capodecina

So with no true "unlimited bandwidth" ISP's around really, what ISP has the most download cap? Offers the best speeds (ADSL) best fair usage policy etc..?

Thanks.

2. SidewinderINC

Soldato

was just about to post the same question after browsing all the other threads :p

a 50gb cap would be perfect for me lol.

3. Phemo

Soldato

Nildram seem to be pretty good in this respect. £26 a month if you don't go with a static IP, 50GB cap a month in peak hours and unlimited at other times. I believe peak hours is defined as 8am until midnight so you get 8 hours of uncapped transfer which is fair enough.

Also, any of the 50GB peak allowance that you don't use gets rolled over to the next month.

I noticed a nice little bonus when I checked my Nildram portal. I signed up with them ages ago and received an activation date of the 6th of July. I'd been allocated a 50GB allowance despite not actually having the service at the time. When it came to the 6th and my ADSL was active, I found that I'd been given another 50GB giving me 100GB of peak time transfer. A nice cockup, but I do most of my downloading overnight and I'll use my NTL connection for that anyway.

Nildram don't appear to do any shaping that I'm aware of. My line is only 3.5mbit (4100 ish sync speed) so I get 410KB/sec maximum. My speeds are always pretty much over 300KB/sec so I can't complain. However, I don't use torrents or any other form of p2p so I can't speak for that but I do use usenet.

4. SidewinderINC

Soldato

was looking at nildram the other day - they have the 500 minutes talk plan for free if you go for that package too!

5. Phemo

Soldato

There's only 3 ADSL ISPs that I'd consider personally:

Nildram - already explained above.
    Eclipse - good but I'm concerned about the reports of agressive shaping
    Zen - very good service but 50GB a month cap and they're a little more expensive than the others - although this can be argued as well worth it since they have no shaping or anything on their network. Still excellent though.

6. McDaniel

Capodecina

What is meant by shaping?

7. VeNT

Capodecina

getting 25-35k/s on P2P and single thread downloads (sometimes) before 12midnight

8. McDaniel

Capodecina

is Usenet classed as P2P?

9. VeNT

Capodecina

no as its not a P2P, its Usenet, eclipse have a VERY good usenet server (iirc) but I was never able to get thunderbird to work well with it (outlook express worked ok tho)

10. McDaniel

Capodecina

i use Giganews anyway and thats what i use to get my "Linux Distro's" so as long as the ISP is good with them then so be it :)

11. tolien

Caporegime

You'll generally find Usenet gets shaped the same as P2P though.

12. VeNT

Capodecina

well, I'd not noticed any, but then I'd not had ANY shaping from eclipse untill this month

13. jbloggs

Soldato

14. hyper_piper45

Mobster

I just wonder how long till all the leechers sign up and it goes the same way as evolution dsl and ace internet.

15. zetec452

Sgarrista

About 8-10 months if that.

Its impossible to offer unlimited broadband for that price.

I have seen an unlimited 8mb broadband but its about 80 pounds per month. I bet it you tool it 24/7 they will still kick you off.

16. .Griff.

Mobster

Ukonline (LLU, not their IPStream service)

No traffic shaping and no download limits.

£29.99 for ADSL2+, £24.99 for 8mb ADSL.

(Naturally it all depends where you live)

17. axer

Mobster

Nildram/Pipex have poor peering these days, go for Zen!