Hi all,

I have built a new machine:

3700x
32gb crucial ballistix 3600mhz
X570 Mag Tomahawk
RM750x PSU
Kracken x63
Sabrent rocket gen 4 1tb
GTX 660 (temp GPU whilst waiting on the 3080)

I must say the temp GPU was a flea bay purchase second hand.

I have an issue where by a cold boot will boot about 9 times out of ten but a restart always has the fans spinning the aio lights on and the ram lights etc on, but either no display/keyboard or mouse OR I do get a display but only a flashing curser top left. Both instances show the VGA light lit white on the motherboard. Do I have a duff GPU? Any way to be certain? I don’t have any interchangeable parts as this is my first pc build.
I have download older drivers and latest drivers but still the same. took the cmos out for 10 mins just incase. Always the same issue when I come to restart the machine.

I am at a loss so any help or guidance would be much appreciated.

I am booting to uefi sabrent rocket. Should I disable all other boot options? I’m clutching at straws.

Associate
OP
So far I have tried the following:

• Removing the cmos for 10 mins.
  • Reseating the ram.
  • Making sure all connections are tight.
  • Reseating the CPU.
  • Updating drivers.
  • Updating BIOS.
  • Removed GPU and powered on. Same error but that’s to be expected with no GPU or integrated graphics.

Today I’m going to try the following.

• Boot with each single ram stick.
  • Try a different cable.
  • Try a different port (hdmi). (Currently using mini display port-display port).
  • Try the other PCIe slot.
  • Disabling all boot options bar the nvme in the bios.

Anyone have any other thoughts please? I’m new to all of this so I can only think of the obvious without having other parts available to interchange.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
So I have tried a different cable and different port both with the same outcome. I did find that if I left the flashing cursor top left it eventually does get to the GPU screen (conquer the battlefield) but crashes there or sometimes goes in to windows but it’s instantly unusable.

Tried the other PCIe slot and it booted fine, let me restart the PC fine twice, then fails again the third time of restarting again with the VGA light on the motherboard and no display.

Associate
OP
I have also now reseated the nvme drive and disabled some all boot options bar the nvme drive.

Triple checked the latest game ready driver is installed.

Seems to me a dodgy GPU.......could someone please confirm my thoughts if correct? Any advice or guidance would be appreciated.

Associate
try turning off fast boot under the power options, it's known to cause issue booting from cold. I hate the fact it gets turned back on with updates too, they should not be able to force a glitchy feature back onto us each time!

Associate
OP
I wish I had mate :(
This is my first pc so I only have one of everything, no interchangeable parts. All my friends/colleagues are console gamers so I can’t pinch another from them. I was a console gamer too and after 3days of trying to figure this out I’m thinking there is a lot say for console plug and play. Kind of regretting it a little now.

Man of Honour
You have tried most things which does point to the gpu but having no parts to try is difficult.

You could buy a gpu and test your system out then return it within a certain time to get a refund. Send a plea out on social media.

Associate
OP
You have tried most things which does point to the gpu but having no parts to try is difficult.

You could buy a gpu and test your system out then return it within a certain time to get a refund. Send a plea out on social media.
As a temporary GPU would a GT710 be ok?
Not looking to play games just make the machine usable until I can get a new RTX card.

Associate
What's your "normal" screen resolution?

To elaborate, what's your monitor?

Second thought: have you got fastboot enabled in your BIOS? Might be worth seeing if you can turn that off to (not sure if it matters or not)

Associate
OP
What's your "normal" screen resolution?

To elaborate, what's your monitor?

Second thought: have you got fastboot enabled in your BIOS? Might be worth seeing if you can turn that off to (not sure if it matters or not)
The monitor is capable of 4K 60hz, I don’t anything crazy though. I just wanted to get the pc up and running correctly etc ready for the new GPU to game at 4K 60.

Last edited:
Associate
The monitor is capable of 4K 60hz
Yeah, what I was going to offer ain't going to work for you either at that resolution (XFX R7850 Ghost - only replaced it as it wasn't man enough for Forza Horizon 4 (well, the game wanted to run on low settings in my old rig)).

It's from about 2013 and I very much doubt that it is capable of 4K.

Back
Top Bottom